Studio Scale Pirate Ship/Blockade Runner

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm making it.

Slow burn. Starting to smoke all of a sudden.... plans were laid. Seeds planted. Watered. People worked hard. People encouraged others. Wives were asked things like "hey um, that area where a couch could go.... I mean, uh, we already have like, three couches..."

Sooooo uh, any one want a "builders kit" of the BLOCKADE RUNNER (or the PIRATE SHIP)?! Thanks to the diligent work of Tsophika and the soon to be diligent work of Mike Salzo, you will totally probably definitely be able to buy resin castings of every single plant-on part, and get plans to build it as the original was. This is not a "resin model kit". This is a massive leg up on scratch building a Studio Scale Blockade Runner, part for part, as seen in Star Wars. Not the converted ROTJ version, and not the "sort of restored" ANH version seen today. The original as-seen-on-screen-in-1977 Blockade Runner.

This is the usual "gauge interest" feeler post and my declaration of intent to build this dumb huge thing - and no, I HAVE NO IDEA ON THE PRICE. This has been a slow cooker for a while now, and we are finally at the "throw bags of parts at Salzo to get them cast" stage. He won't know the price either, until he starts molding. This will be offered in phases to - we're starting with the engine section. I'll update here as I start a'building. Probably early Fall. When we know more, we will start a sale thread for y'all.

So once again, and I cannot stress this enough: WE DON'T KNOW THE PRICE IT'S NOT YET FOR SALE and this is not a "for sale" thread. But it's coming...

Of course, I am a crazy person, and I want to build the Pirate Ship first! So here is a Tsophika render of the Pirate Ship, which was one of the first models ILM made in 1975/6-ish? Joe Johnston painted a lot of it, and it is unique in decoration. After all, this was the original Millennium Falcon!

How accurate will it be? Well, I have been really fortunate again, and I have some amazing luck/connections... it was surveyed some time in '76 before it was partially torn apart and converted to the Blockade Runner. The model in this state is truly an amazing bit of unseen Star Wars. So just a heads up - I'm building one, and you can too, eventually/soon!

runner copy.jpg

OK totally interested BUT... I know its "big" but how big I guess is the question... IIRC the one I saw on tour was about 3 feet... close to the ANH SD. but you seem to be talking couch sizes... around 6 -8 feet.

at 3ish feel I'm totally in. at 6-8 I will need to pass. I just don't have the space for any thing that big.

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Definitely interested Jason!.
Just as a matter of interest, what size cockpit cone did you guys end up using?.

I grew one that's a bit shy of 6" but then again the acrylic is 6" So I feel it SHOULD be 6" wide... so I've not gotten that settled yet. I think my grown cockpit is undersized by a smidge. I defer to Craig on this one. Since it won't be part of the "kit" offering, it's not a problem the Blockade Buyers™ will have to worry about. A one off for me :)

at 6' I'm gonna have to pass... but I might be interested in a parts kit anyway just to build up the greeblie stores :D. and if I change my mind I will have what I need.

I may have to build a new garage/workshop in the back yard :D

Jedi Dade

I've only recently decided to give studio scale modelling a go (still sourcing kits) and now this appears. The shipping alone will most likely cause my bank manger to have heart palpitations, but I'm interested, although I might have to settle for parts kits for greeblies.

screw it = I have a ton of stuff sitting and waiting in my pile... this could be another... I'm interested but we need to find some kind of back channel to pay for it... my wife is gonna kill me as soon as she figures it out... and she will...

Jedi Dade

Here's the brilliant thing - it's going to be a series of releases. We're starting with the engine greeblies. So thought it may run into "holy guacamole that was a LOT of money for a dust collector" it's going to be in more palatable dribs and drabs. There are a LOT of parts, and this way, Mike Salzo doesn't want to kill himself trying to keep it all straight by doing all six feet of stuff in one fell swoop.

I work for the NIH as a contractor. So it's not like I have money to throw around either, lol. All it takes is one sequester and I am selling plasma under a bridge ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back