First Foam Build: Ends Of The Earth Inspired Spider-Man Armor (PIC Heavy)

So, my comment the other day about all the silver making It look like a space suit got me thinking... Why not be a space suit?
So I started working on a space helmet from scrap foam..what's better than two helmets for a costume?.... Three helmets haha
IMAG1592.jpgIMAG1591.jpgIMAG1593.jpg
Now just to figure out what to do about the lens, so you know, the vacuum of space doesn't kill me.

Everything is painted and put together.. just need to wire switches and battery packs and build the eyes for the bucket
IMAG1645.jpgIMAG1646.jpg

Side note, discovered black hot glue... Whaaaat. Awesome.

ah, i forgot to share how I went about making the lens for the space helmet...

So I discovered this gem sitting in the courtyard of my apt complex: an empty tub of cheese balls--a massive tub of cheese balls... 27" around.
jStIHc.jpg
so I washed it out, removed the label with the heat gun and some mineral oil and cut that beast of plastic apart
SurRMF.jpg
cut the center part out, then cut that long strip in half, then cut the top part off that the cap screws on to and cut that rounded part beneath it into fourths (in retrospect, I should've cut it in half for one less seam to worry about, but, eh, such is life). I stuck those four pieces together to make the main curve of the lens
Uwf5fW.jpg
Then I traced out the sides and cut them from the center piece I'd cut out of the barrel.
ppTRha.jpg
I glued all that together and I covered the seams in foam (which unfortunately, looks like duct tape <--- I will fix this)
then I created a foam frame to fit into the rest of the helmet (held in place with magnets)
and, voila... a space helmet lens
0UT9ZT.jpg

Then I hit the inside of the lens with the Duplicolor metalcast red which, in thin coats, is translucent.

BhG7RZ.jpg

So, I've decided to go a different route for the eyes on the bucket.. instead of the white, I've ordered some mirror tint and I'm going to use that. Still waiting on my leds to show up.. that's what I get for ordering the cheapest ones I could find with no tracking. Fingers crossed they arrive soon, I want to finish this thing. My mirrored tint should be here Monday.

Out of fear of causing cloudiness or having solvent issues, I avoided a spray clear coat and I used a polyurethane brush on gloss for acrylic paints for my top coat. Hopefully this will reduce chipping and wear n tear when I wear this thing at Wondercon for 12 hours. It added a nice extra layer of sheen but it requires 3 hours between coats, which is a pain in the you know where. However, after tjree coats, i think there's a nice protective layer on it.

Here's some pics
IMAG1673.jpgIMAG1672.jpgIMAG1670.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin Good! It really could just be a space suit though lol.

Hey! Thanks. Long time :)

I agree entirely... Hence the additional space helmet lol.
I'm literally almost done.. I know its been like 900 years since i started, but as soon as i finish these light up eyes I'll be done.
Planning on wearing the space helmet during the day at Wondercon and saving the fancy bucket for the costume contest.

Very cool and versatile :D

Sorry for the hiatus, had to take a break :p But this is coming along so well. When is the con?

LOVE the lights in the eyes!

Very cool and versatile :D

Sorry for the hiatus, had to take a break :p But this is coming along so well. When is the con?

LOVE the lights in the eyes!

Thanks! :) the eyes were the most intensive part of the whole thing. Getting such a large area to glow took some thought. The con is Easter weekend, march 25-27, so I've got some time.

Alright, here's how I did the eyes.

I took the inspiration and loosely followed the tutorial for lighting iron man eyes from xrobots, found here: http://xrobots.co.uk/IM6/index_lights.html

I cut some cardboard from a six pack, painted it silver and poked rows of leds into them, wiring up my own light strips:
IMAG1677.jpgIMAG1678.jpg

I'm using super bright, water clear white rectangle leds. They measure 2x3x4mm

I then glued the top strip to the inside of the brow, with the wiring against the front of the brow, and the side strip I glued to the back of the eye frame.. oh yeah, I made a frame/housing out of foam.
IMAG1679.jpgIMAG1680.jpg

The lenses are cut from a 2 liter bottle, then I put the mirrored tint on them and covered the front with a piece of white tulle from an old tutu of my daughter's.you can barely see the tulle in the pictures, but it helps carry the light across the lense similar to if a grid were carved. Coupled with the mirrored tint it glows pretty good.
IMAG1685.jpg

The tulle is pulled tight over then lenses and glued onto the backside. The nice thing about the mirrored tint is that you can't see the mess thats going on on the back side lol.

There's two switches to control the lights. One switch turns on the top row in the brow (which, I like the effect of just those ones better) the second switch lights the side rows of lights which give it more of like a tactical lighting or something since you can see the individual lights:
Top and side row:
IMAG1688.jpg
Just top row:
IMAG1692.jpg

There's 21 leds In each eye. 12 on the sides and 9 across the brow... A total of 42 lights. The beauty of it is that since the lights imcrease the ambient light outside the tint, its super duper easy to see through the helmet. Way easier than the white plastic on my other spidey mask.

So yeah, hope that's a decent description of what I did. I took a few redesigns to get it right.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back