First Foam Build: Ends Of The Earth Inspired Spider-Man Armor (PIC Heavy)

Re: First Foam Build: Ends Of The Earth Spider-Man Armor (PIC Heavy)

Looking like Batman tactical armor
IMAG1080.jpg

Looking good! How did you like the plasti dip? I've had mixed results....

Looking good! How did you like the plasti dip? I've had mixed results....

I'm still on the fence. I may have gone a little thick in parts on the first layer which caused some dimpling and pock marks here and there. I still had to hit the top layer with PVA mix to fill those in, and even then I missed some, so there's some defects in the surface of the gauntlet. Nothing terrible, but dfefinitely an eyesore to me.

So, at the moment, I'd give the following score (10 being best, 0 being worst):
Plasti Dip--Speed: 9, Finish: 6, Ease of Use: 8, Cost: 5.... average score: 7 (Also, you cant sand it which sucks if you end up with not a perfect finish)
Glue/Water/Puffy Paint mix--- Speed: 4, Finish: 8, Ease of Use: 7, Cost:8.... average score: 6.75 (sanding really makes the difference with the pva mix)

Plasti Dip is better for different reasons, like it was nice to finish a piece in a weekend instead of a week of layering a billion layers of glue. BUT, my finish looked better on the helmet, in my opinion. Also, the flexibility of the Plasti Dip is great, but I can't attest to the flexibility of the glue mixture since the helmet reuires no flex.... I plan on using Plasti Dip on a few more of the larger pieces, but I'll probably return to the glue mix by the time I get to the leg pieces.

I've heard of and used the pva/water combination, but never heard of anyone addidng puffy paint to that mix. What are the advantages of this?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also, great review on the plasti-dip vs pva/water/paint. Very informative thank you!

I've heard of and used the pva/water combination, but never heard of anyone addidng puffy paint to that mix. What are the advantages of this?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also, great review on the plasti-dip vs pva/water/paint. Very informative thank you!

Id Initially added the puffy paint to tint the mixture so it was easier to guage coverage, but then i realized it added extra flex to the mix and kept the final surface still sandable. I know puffy paint is kind of expensive, but I scored like 30 bottles at a yard sale for 3 bucks so I've been using it for everything.

Last edited:

Finished painting one gauntlet. Still need to build the other haha. I think it looks awesome. I used dupli color Toyota stellar blue pearl for the blue.
IMAG1086.jpgIMAG1089.jpgIMAG1090.jpg

I also got the blue parts on the stomach piece too. The blue is a little darker than is anticipated, but the under suit will be more of a vibrant blue so I think it will break up the colors nicely.
IMAG1092.jpg

I love the paint you are using, can you tell us what kind it is? Brand? Puffy? Looks great!

Great on the paint , I love the blue colour, I am mid way through R2D2 and inspired with this build as the blue would keep a theme of my props.

good luck

subscribed to your tread

Last edited:

I love the paint you are using, can you tell us what kind it is? Brand? Puffy? Looks great!

Great on the paint , I love the blue colour, I am mid way through R2D2 and inspired with this build as the blue would keep a theme of my props.

good luck subscribing.

Thank you both!
I'm using two layers for the red portions: Dupli Color MetalCast Anodized Red over VHT High Temperature Chrome Plate. The VHT is an epoxy based paint and the Dupli Color is an enamel based paint.. Apparently that's the combination you use to paint boats (found that out after buying them and doing a bunch of research).

The Blue is DupliColor Perfect Match Toyota Stellar Blue Pearl. On the stomach piece it's put on over the black plastidip. On the guantlet piece, the blue is put on over the VHT Chrome Plate.

Great work! Especially on those forearms. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks! I too am please with the forearms. It's two pieces. The top piece will be attached to the under-shirt and the thicker piece will be separate. I think it'll keep motion better and help with putting on and taking off. I'm hoping the stomach piece turns out as well as the forearm did. I'm painting the red portions as I type this.

Thank you both!
I'm using two layers for the red portions: Dupli Color MetalCast Anodized Red over VHT High Temperature Chrome Plate. The VHT is an epoxy based paint and the Dupli Color is an enamel based paint.. Apparently that's the combination you use to paint boats (found that out after buying them and doing a bunch of research).

The Blue is DupliColor Perfect Match Toyota Stellar Blue Pearl. On the stomach piece it's put on over the black plastidip. On the guantlet piece, the blue is put on over the VHT Chrome Plate.

Very cool. I'm workin on a Hulk Buster build myself and I think I'll give this Chrome plate stuff a try. Interesting side note, I was reading amazon reviews on the stuff and found this bit of advice "Also I HEAT the can in hot (tap temp) water for 3-4 minutes and it really pumps up the pressure to a finer spray." Not sure if you saw that too, but it might be worth a shot! Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:

Very cool. I'm workin on a Hulk Buster build myself and I think I'll give this Chrome plate stuff a try. Interesting side note, I was reading amazon reviews on the stuff and found this bit of advice "Also I HEAT the can in hot (tap temp) water for 3-4 minutes and it really pumps up the pressure to a finer spray." Not sure if you saw that too, but it might be worth a shot! Thanks for the info!

I've hear of people doing that, but to be honest, its already a really fine spray. Maybe cos I live in los angeles and its almost 90 out lol.
The trick is to do a couple of light coats, then a wet coat. Or so the can says. If you go too heavy it drips like crazy. More than the anodized red does. But either way, with both you want a few fine coats and then a slightly heavier coat. I'm doing 4 coats of each: light, light, wet, light. This is all a first for me. Before this i'd only spray painted a picture frame. Once. However, my dad is a professional painter so maybe some of it sunk in being on site my whole childhood

Last edited by a moderator:

Okay! Red is on the stomach piece. I got some wrinkling. I think I didn't let the Chrome set long enough. However, its pretty uniform, so we'll pretend its purposeful so I dont have an ocd aneurysm.
IMAG1094.jpgIMAG1097.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back