Limited Run === G R A F L E X === Flashgun Gen.2 ... now taking PRE-ORDERS!!! New Pics Oct. 5

Re: === G R A F L E X === Flashgun ... NOW SHIPPING!!!

Hey! I've already spoken with Roman's and while the blade holder fits in his flash tube the brass pin cut or holes do not quite line up perfectly with the blade holder's.

Vintages line up perfect with ours.

The solution, I think, would be for us to make tailored blade holders for Roman's Flashes.

Yikes! This is disappointing news for those of us who plan to light them up. I received my flash from Roman yesterday and it's gorgeous, but now from a technical aspect seems like it's not quite going to cut it. To me it wouldn't make sense to buy a second, less accurate blade holder to accommodate the flash. Seems like the best options are to see if a different replica is a better fit, or bite the bullet and go authentic.

I may end up using Roman's as a static display piece.

This is disappointing news for those of us who plan to light them up.

You can always modify the original parts and light them up with sound without the possibility to attach a blade. That was what I was planning to do in the first place.

The big issue for blade use right now is that in addition to the SH part, no other existing blade holder is going to line up either. One with larger pockets like TGS will not show overlap issue, but pins will be offset. That would require filling the existing pin holes and tapping new ones, along with some paint to hide the re-work.

Decisions decisions...

You can always modify the original parts and light them up with sound without the possibility to attach a blade. That was what I was planning to do in the first place.

The big issue for blade use right now is that in addition to the SH part, no other existing blade holder is going to line up either. One with larger pockets like TGS will not show overlap issue, but pins will be offset. That would require filling the existing pin holes and tapping new ones, along with some paint to hide the re-work.

Decisions decisions...
How offset would the pins be? I have the deluxe TGS blade holder + short pins on the way, because I wanted a 1" blade adapter, not 7/8".

Obi-Shane posted this photo of the TGS blade holder in a thread on FB:

15871799_10157965270740332_749326861858555257_n.jpg

A question for Roman or an original owner that owns both Romans and the original graflex.

Will the romans replica bottoms fit an original graflex. The reason I ask is I have a slight chance at a real one (I mean slight) . I may decide to install the bottom replica and keep the original unharmed. (For the time being ) The originals are worth a pretty penny so it may not be the worst idea.

Also, what makes a 3 cell different from a 2 or 5 cell? Is it just the bottom or is the upper part different as well?
Thanks in advance
Kevin

2 cell is shorter than a 3 cell, 5 cell is longer than a 3 cell. The cell number is how many D batteries it holds when combined with the rest of the flash. Only difference is the lengths and the number stamped on the bottom.

2 cell is shorter than a 3 cell, 5 cell is longer than a 3 cell. The cell number is how many D batteries it holds when combined with the rest of the flash. Only difference is the lengths and the number stamped on the bottom.

Thanks, I do understand the battery sde of it. I'm wondering if the top is the same size for all 3 and just the bottom is what changes?

Photos, which I mentioned as the basis for the hypothesis. If I had the flashes here with me I'd give you measurements to the thousandth of an inch and tell you exactly what's wrong with absolute certainty instead of hypothesizing.

Gotcha! Sorry, missed that post. This thread is updating faster than I can read!

A question for Roman or an original owner that owns both Romans and the original graflex.

Will the romans replica bottoms fit an original graflex. The reason I ask is I have a slight chance at a real one (I mean slight) . I may decide to install the bottom replica and keep the original unharmed. (For the time being ) The originals are worth a pretty penny so it may not be the worst idea.

Also, what makes a 3 cell different from a 2 or 5 cell? Is it just the bottom or is the upper part different as well?
Thanks in advance
Kevin

I have a 4 cell bottom at home. IIRC, the top part is just the same. What varies is the length of the tube (as a 4 cell accommodates 4 batteries), Back in the day when we made sink tube sabers, I remember using the 4 cell bottom's top part as a guide to replicate the top of the sink tube to use on my Graflex. Then the Bed Bath & Beyond salt/pepper shakers made much better bottoms than sink tubes.

I feel old now. Haha!

They're designed to interchange. Somewhere around here you can see photos of them all.

You can see a 2-Cell unit on the far right of the first photo in this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=144206

Thank you for the link. So if I'm reading this correctly, IF I found a 2 cell or 5 cell, AND Romans replica bottom fits on originals, this would work and be the same size and appearance of a 3 cell?

Yup, thats what lots of people do because its cheaper to get a 2 cell. 5 Cells usually go for more because theyre somewhat rare and can be cut down.

Great folks, thanks for the tips and help.

Now the million dollar question, will romans replica bottom fit an original?

Great folks, thanks for the tips and help.

Now the million dollar question, will romans replica bottom fit an original?

yes fits just fine... it's EXACTLY the correct diameter, and everything.

Thank you. Now I just have to wait and see how it works out.

Hey! I've already spoken with Roman's and while the blade holder fits in his flash tube the brass pin cut or holes do not quite line up perfectly with the blade holder's.

Vintages line up perfect with ours.

The solution, I think, would be for us to make tailored blade holders for Roman's Flashes.

What if we've already bought the SH blade holder? :(

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back