NEW DRAGONBALL SERIES! Dragonball Super

ok so i watched DBZ: battle of the gods last night... horrible. absolutely horrible... i haven't found resurrection of F on youtube yet, but if its anything like the first movie, i dont expect much... and now after seeing BoTG i have serious doubts for SUPER...

wicked disappointment... the eternal dragon afraid of beris... yeah ok... the whole god transformation thing is a joke...i feel like after goku went super saiyan and we kept on getting more and more transformations it lost it for me.. saiyan saga. and freeza were the best in my eyes, android was ok but started to push it.. goku was extremely corny in this movie and totally not like the pervious films and shows, so corny that when he's serious you can't even take him seriously... and vegeta getting on stage and doing his best "americas got talent" audition.. never would his character ever do a thing like that.. what the heck is Masahiro Hosoda thinking... and Masahiro bad talks GT!? as you serious?! i would prefer GT over this garbage

i was super excited for this new series but judging by the movies if the show is like this i won't waste the time... and the CG animation incorporated with the cartoon... yuck.... i also hate how when the camera pans across (side scrolls) the whole screen gets blurry whats the deal with that, it gave me killer motion sickness..

...rant off

- - - Updated - - -

i have since watched a bunch of clips from super, can't find any complete episodes but i talked to a few of my kids i mentor and they say the rumor is

black is goku's soul fused with a kai, thats why there is so much attention to the ear ring. some how when goku traveled to hell, one of his many times a piece of his soul was stolen, or cloned... time will tell

Last edited by a moderator:
for me, Battle of gods was a FAR better reunion movie than Resurrection.

RoF was just battle after battle after battle. and it didn't have any of the nostalgia that a revival of freiza would incorporate. part of that was because it didn't have the faulconer music, I think. as a kid in 2000 watching that, that felt like a big moment. not so much here. They do fix a little of that with Super.

Where as I liked Battle of Gods, the same story in super felt boring and drawn out. Where as I didn't care for RoF in movie form, in series form i Liked it alot better.

For Gods, yeah, I agree this whole super saiyan god thing is stupid. all it does is seperate goku from the core characters more and more. it could just be the goku and vegita show and you don't need anyone else. Just regular SSJ would have been fine.

I loved Vegita's dance number. That was the whole point of it. he swallowed EVERY ounce of pride he had to protect the earth. fit perfectly as to how he's evolved, I think.
The Dragon being afraid of beerus is also amusing. even though he should be afraid of anyone with a power level higher than king piccolo who killed him, it gives you an idea of just how..off kilter beerus is, considering everyone is usually afraid of the dragon. nice role reversal.

One thing I love about super and Gods, was that it returns the humor dragonball is known for. I never was much ofa pilaf fan...but when he's not trying to be 'evil' he works MUCH better, I think as comedy relief.

for me, Battle of gods was a FAR better reunion movie than Resurrection.

RoF was just battle after battle after battle. and it didn't have any of the nostalgia that a revival of freiza would incorporate. part of that was because it didn't have the faulconer music, I think. as a kid in 2000 watching that, that felt like a big moment. not so much here. They do fix a little of that with Super.

Where as I liked Battle of Gods, the same story in super felt boring and drawn out. Where as I didn't care for RoF in movie form, in series form i Liked it alot better.

For Gods, yeah, I agree this whole super saiyan god thing is stupid. all it does is seperate goku from the core characters more and more. it could just be the goku and vegita show and you don't need anyone else. Just regular SSJ would have been fine.

I loved Vegita's dance number. That was the whole point of it. he swallowed EVERY ounce of pride he had to protect the earth. fit perfectly as to how he's evolved, I think.
The Dragon being afraid of beerus is also amusing. even though he should be afraid of anyone with a power level higher than king piccolo who killed him, it gives you an idea of just how..off kilter beerus is, considering everyone is usually afraid of the dragon. nice role reversal.

One thing I love about super and Gods, was that it returns the humor dragonball is known for. I never was much ofa pilaf fan...but when he's not trying to be 'evil' he works MUCH better, I think as comedy relief.

yeah... maybe its my age? idk... i watched dragon ball when i was a kid back in the 80s and then in the early 2000 we got dbz on toonami but only up to the gynu force... we had that for years then finally we got the end of the freeza saga.

i just dont care for it.. now that you say you dont like DoF i figure i will just skip that as well..

the worlds strongest, tree of might, dead zone are all my favorites.. the history of trunks wasn't bad but trunks being my favorite (future trunks) i was thinking it would be different..

just finished resurrection of F, i liked it much better then battle of the gods. though i still dont like the new animation mechanic... incorporating the CGI into the cartoon... heh its just not me...

the characters now cuss, but yet they are all water down? vegeta doesnt seem to be what i remember ( and i dont fall for that "planet earth has made him friendly") goku has become a dumb ass... he was a joker in the past but he's a complete ******* now.. i dont like it, and its hard to take him serious

and it only took freeza 6 months to catch up to goku and vegeta when they have been training for years.. i know its a kids cartoon and i shouldn't be so credical, but the pervious show really was strict and paid attention to all these little things..

i fear these movies are just to stimulate the franchise to sell more t-shirts and posters.. in the past we couldn't really count the movies as canon because most of them didnt have a real time line connection, or should i say you couldn't pin point exactly when the movie takes place and what ever happens in the movie is never mentioned in the show.. judging by what you tell me neil, it looks like they have changed that now and incorporating these movies into SUPER..

heres hoping, but if its like these movies i dont have any high hopes.. while i was watching i kept finding myself checking my phone for weather updates.. not good.. i thought maybe its my age? i was obsessed about DBZ over 15 years ago... geesh... about 18 years ago, where has time gone? anyway.. i lived for this show, i can still throw in my old dvd's and watch every minute of it, and these are the old ones (orange box re dubbed versions) these aren't the kai versions, i can still sit through all the filler episodes and 2 week long battle scenes...

i dont get it, you know how we talk about ghostbusters, I'm on that boat right now over these DBZ movies.. tell me its gonna get better! lol

just finished resurrection of F, i liked it much better then battle of the gods. though i still dont like the new animation mechanic... incorporating the CGI into the cartoon... heh its just not me...

the characters now cuss, but yet they are all water down? vegeta doesnt seem to be what i remember ( and i dont fall for that "planet earth has made him friendly") goku has become a dumb ass... he was a joker in the past but he's a complete ******* now.. i dont like it, and its hard to take him serious

and it only took freeza 6 months to catch up to goku and vegeta when they have been training for years.. i know its a kids cartoon and i shouldn't be so credical, but the pervious show really was strict and paid attention to all these little things..

i fear these movies are just to stimulate the franchise to sell more t-shirts and posters.. in the past we couldn't really count the movies as canon because most of them didnt have a real time line connection, or should i say you couldn't pin point exactly when the movie takes place and what ever happens in the movie is never mentioned in the show.. judging by what you tell me neil, it looks like they have changed that now and incorporating these movies into SUPER..

heres hoping, but if its like these movies i dont have any high hopes.. while i was watching i kept finding myself checking my phone for weather updates.. not good.. i thought maybe its my age? i was obsessed about DBZ over 15 years ago... geesh... about 18 years ago, where has time gone? anyway.. i lived for this show, i can still throw in my old dvd's and watch every minute of it, and these are the old ones (orange box re dubbed versions) these aren't the kai versions, i can still sit through all the filler episodes and 2 week long battle scenes...

i dont get it, you know how we talk about ghostbusters, I'm on that boat right now over these DBZ movies.. tell me its gonna get better! lol

SUPPOSEDLY the only reason they re did the movies was to give the animators time to work on super episodes. according to a poster earlier.
it was a rather strange decision, but with that, i guess i can live with that explanation.

Don't expect Dragonball Super to be as deep and engaging as the old series. it's not.
The Next saga after the movies is the Universe Tournament. Universe Six and Seven fight it out.
They play very loosely with power levels. and when they don't, it's done more for comedy. Vegita beating Frost So easily because he was only at Freiza's Namek Power Level, for instance, yet Piccolo, now as strong as an ultra super saiyan (between one and two), had a hard time with him. He should have been able to defeat him as easy as vegita did. None of the opponents are really all that strong, and SSJ1 should vanquish all but one easily. yet, they draw it out.
Freiza saying he should be able to reach a power level of 1.3 million, when in the series, his old final form was supposed to be at one million already. they should be in the billions by now with god form.

The Tournament saga was a bit of a let down. the only thing that kept it interesting was the kai exhibition, the introduction of three new characters, and promise of a all 7 universe tournament. oh,. and the appearance of the super dragon.

This Trunks saga is the first one to feel a little more like the old show. and i hope the super dragon makes another appearance to fix trunks universe for good.

I think Goku Black is a AU Goku who's world was destoryed by time travel so now he works for the gods as a sort of "time police officer."

Last edited:
actually, the super dragon is the one neat power up i don't mind. it's incredibly hard to collect universal dragonballs spread across two universes, so i'm assuming this would be a once in a few years or decade type thing

oh its a different set of dragon balls? i thought u meant shenlong turns super... maybe this super dragon is the creator of all the other dragons

the trunks saga has that extra something special.

someone remembered that yajarobe survived the android attack in the alternate future timeline.
I guess that oolong, puar and roshi didn't survive the black attack though ;o)

I totally didn't expect that to happen. it'd be hilarious if they try to contact future king kai or alternate dead goku to try and get some info ;o).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back