Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School Version 2 beginning pg17)

Re: Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School Complete)

Wore mine during Comic Con.
All I can say is.... AWESOME!!!!! Heck ya!!! Thanks sooo much for sharing! .... I must say though, my favorite one is with Slave Anorex-Leia. She could use a few twinkies I think! :)

lol Thanks MasterEdi! Yea, she was super skinny. Here's a few more.

11141145_10153111987873565_7985103880653969009_n.jpg

11028352_10153112240718565_4855098189996215287_n.jpg

1513205_10153112258093565_8546322084585452982_n.jpg

11693848_10153112265023565_3839001997003353877_n.jpg

11693865_10153112269163565_2971679536741910003_n.jpg

11738073_10153112693248565_7514871983113429065_n.jpg

I'm 6'2 for anyone who'd care to know. :)

The sculpt on this helmet is one of the best I've seen. Better than any 3D print, or any other approach that I've seen, but it appears alarmingly huge. It looks almost comically big in some of the pictures, and nothing kills a look faster than a hardcore character coming off like a bobble head. Can anyone shed any more insight into the actual size of this helmet?

The sculpt on this helmet is one of the best I've seen. Better than any 3D print, or any other approach that I've seen, but it appears alarmingly huge. It looks almost comically big in some of the pictures, and nothing kills a look faster than a hardcore character coming off like a bobble head. Can anyone shed any more insight into the actual size of this helmet?

It could also be the person wearing it. I'm not sure on the size but unless you're 6'4" with wide shoulders it will surely look bobbleheaded. This is going to be like Vader a bit in that you really have to fit the proportions to make it look right. A. Driver isn't a muscular guy but he is tall with wide shoulders.

It could also be the person wearing it. I'm not sure on the size but unless you're 6'4" with wide shoulders it will surely look bobbleheaded. This is going to be like Vader a bit in that you really have to fit the proportions to make it look right. A. Driver isn't a muscular guy but he is tall with wide shoulders.

Dday is correct.... For the face plate I used measurements from the actual prop, designed for Adam Driver (6'4"), which if you examine the photos from C7 again, the prop and Adam are not small. The second part is that I used concept work to finish out the back end. Most likely there is 'more junk in the trunk' so to speak. The actual helmet I'm sure does not have that elongated, high in the back look..... Finally, I do have suggestions on how this helmet can be worn that will help minimize the 'bobblehead' look. First, use padding to raise it higher off your head. Next, make sure the back end is raised higher. Meaning this version of the helmet looks best when it is worn in a similar fashion to the concept painting with the faceplate at a more vertical even angled stance. Meaning the top of the faceplate should always be slightly in front of the bottom faceplate .... I am 5'10" and while it is a large helmet on me, (because I don't have Drivers proportions), it doesn't look bad... Of course I may have to invest in some platform shoes to help! ...Lol
image.jpg

Yep I agree. It truely is a Vader sized helmet but most smaller guys can get away with being Vader because he has Chest Armor that helps balance out the look. Once your get a heavy double layered hood that lays like the film wardrobe and cape wrap around the chest, it should start to balance the look.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yep I agree. It truely is a Vader sized helmet but most smaller guys can get away with being Vader because he has Chest Armor that helps balance out the look. Once your get a heavy double layered hood that lays like the film wardrobe and cape wrap around the chest, it should start to balance the look.

... Great points! Also remember there is padding or foam in the hood that helps give it a fuller look and helps the hood maintain its shape.
image.jpg

Dday is correct.... For the face plate I used measurements from the actual prop, designed for Adam Driver (6'4"), which if you examine the photos from C7 again, the prop and Adam are not small. The second part is that I used concept work to finish out the back end. Most likely there is 'more junk in the trunk' so to speak. The actual helmet I'm sure does not have that elongated, high in the back look..... Finally, I do have suggestions on how this helmet can be worn that will help minimize the 'bobblehead' look. First, use padding to raise it higher off your head. Next, make sure the back end is raised higher. Meaning this version of the helmet looks best when it is worn in a similar fashion to the concept painting with the faceplate at a more vertical even angled stance. Meaning the top of the faceplate should always be slightly in front of the bottom faceplate .... I am 5'10" and while it is a large helmet on me, (because I don't have Drivers proportions), it doesn't look bad... Of course I may have to invest in some platform shoes to help! ...Lol
View attachment 501670

Thank you for the suggestions! I noticed that when I got mine and my boyfriend (who is your height) was originally unhappy about it because with no padding he looked bobble headed. But after he looked through all the reference photos in the thread he came back and said it's definitely the best and most accurate one available and he didn't want to wear a different one. So this info is extremely helpful for making it look "right" on him! Thank you!

Edit: It's also nice to know that we won't have any issue installing fans and other electronics into the helmet!

Thanks Astralrayn!.... Sizing on a helmet will always be difficult, because there is no way your going to make everyone happy. We come in many shapes and sizes..... Granted the back and a smidgen on the top of the helmet is perhaps larger than it should be, and if your a smaller guy this sculpt may not suit you.... I actually have mine on display and it looks great!
But... Hopefully... Soon... We get some more leaks in the future ???.... Maybe, I'll have to go back to the sculpting stand;)

Thanks Astralrayn!.... Sizing on a helmet will always be difficult, because there is no way your going to make everyone happy. We come in many shapes and sizes..... Granted the back and a smidgen on the top of the helmet is perhaps larger than it should be, and if your a smaller guy this sculpt may not suit you.... I actually have mine on display and it looks great!
But... Hopefully... Soon... We get some more leaks in the future ???.... Maybe, I'll have to go back to the sculpting stand;)

Man, I can't wait for more details to be released so we can see the next version!

I completely understand where you are coming from. I saw one of these next to a Vader face plate and it was a comparable size. I am by no means 6'4", or broad shouldered. When I wore my Vader, as someone mentioned, I had my shoulder armor to help balance out the big dome. I think there are subtle things that can be done with Ren to help with that illusion as well. I just can't wait to get my copy and put it on for the first time. And MasterEdI I hope you didn't take my last post as a slight at all. I have searched high and low for anyone who has even come CLOSE to the quality, accuracy and skill involved in your sculpt, and I am brought back here every time. You NAILED this, and I am elated that I am lucky enough to receive one.

Hey MasterEdi, thought I'd share that your helmet made Sneaky Zebra's 2015 SDCC cosplay music video:
My Kylo Ren cosplay is at 0:44 and you can also see my wife's Rey cosplay at 4:03

Niiiiiicccccce!.... So cool!!!! Your costume looked great!!! (I kept rewinding it to see it!) Thank you for sharing! ... Btw, tell your wife she looked great as Rey as well! You got your self a hottie there!:thumbsup And a SW fan to boot! Take good care of her! (Haha, I'm sure you do!)

Keep the pics coming! I can't wait to get my bucket from Saberbay. MasterEdi's rendition is one of the most accurate out there. What are you guys/gals using to shade the visor area and vent holes and still have max visibility?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back