Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School Version 2 beginning pg17)

Re: Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt - (Old School WIP)

Yes the cloth under there is just one of those high quality cloth manaquens. We used them for the 501st costumes. It made it VERY easy to put the costumes on the manaquens! ;) the material looks identical

I just noticed something I'd never noticed before on the ridges around the eye-hole area. It appears in this picture that there are lips on the top and bottom of the face of each ridge that slowly blend to flush. Has anyone else noticed this? You really have to look at it zoomed in to see them.

Wow that pic is nice!!!... All I had to work from was my IPhone pics! Lol... Yes your right, I think we might have to sand down my ridge on those corners just a bit.... Sorry I missed that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes the cloth under there is just one of those high quality cloth manaquens. We used them for the 501st costumes. It made it VERY easy to put the costumes on the manaquens! ;) the material looks identical

Thats not part of the face mask?... To me it seemed like its attached to the helmet.

Wow that pic is nice!!!... All I had to work from was my IPhone pics! Lol... Yes your right, I think we might have to sand down my ridge on those corners just a bit.... Sorry I missed that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats not part of the face mask?... To me it seemed like its attached to the helmet.

Yeah, I was looking at some hi res shots today while I was working on my helmet and I noticed that the ridges have those raised edges, and I don't think I've seen raised edges on any of the models I've seen so far, so I thought I'd ask. The parts highlighted in red were the part I was most curious about.

Also also, it would appear Kylo banged up one edge of the flare on the back dome. Just some details I've spotted today. Again, these could be things others have noticed.

Star-Wars-Celebration-Anaheim-2015-The-Force-Awakens-107 highlights.jpg

Last edited:

I am still so impressed at the high angle on the backside of that helmet in comparison to the long front of the faceplate...makes it look CRAZY COOOOOL

I am still so impressed at the high angle on the backside of that helmet in comparison to the long front of the faceplate...makes it look CRAZY COOOOOL

Thanks Xena!.... My helmet is definitely more the Concept Kylo... I have a feeling it's kinda like new cars... They show you the cool new, sleek, awesome design, then when it comes out its a Datsun! Haha!... We will just have to wait and see. :lol

.... So, in the interval of waiting for my friend to complete the mother mold of Kylo, I have combined my video and pics of the new costumes at Celebration 7 this year...
Actually, I created two of the same video. One with SW music goodness, the other without for my friends in other parts of the world where they block such things (or maybe you don't like music, or maybe they'll decide to block the one with music here in the States too)... Here you go...

With music....
[video]https://youtu.be/Tu2XNzgwzB0[/video]

Without music....
[video]https://youtu.be/YU6K8mMXZAA[/video]

Enjoy!... May the Force be with you all...

Thanks Xena!.... My helmet is definitely more the Concept Kylo... I have a feeling it's kinda like new cars... They show you the cool new, sleek, awesome design, then when it comes out its a Datsun! Haha!... We will just have to wait and see. :lol

does that make my helm the datsun hahahah ^^ (although i did relent and raise the angle closer inline with the concept haha)

- - - Updated - - -

yes it;s assumed there is a cloth material under there

This cloth is a part of the mask. It is surely not the cloth mannequin, but simply using a similar type of fabric, aka black cotton jersey or something.

If you look at the eyes, the lines of the weave go horizontal, then in the cheeks the weave goes nearly vertical. Also the way this cloth is positioned in relation to the facemask means it's not a head in there , unless the head is shaped exactly the same as the inside of Kylos helmet. The cloth you see in the holes is exactly on the inside edge of each hole, and on the eyes it is spaced back by some foam.

Now, it is possible that the eyes are part of a cloth mannequin head. If you look at the weave of the cloth on the eyes vs the cheeks, the eyes have a much tighter, finer weave line, where the cheeks have a wider weave line. Given that the foam on the eyes is one of those things you use to keep your head from resting against the mask, to give comfort to the wearer, it's possible that this is meant to be open. We won't see until we get a view of him from the front with the actor inside.

If the eye cloth was indeed meant to be there, they should have attached the cloth first, then the foam to hide it behind the cloth.

TLDR; eyes might be open but the cheeks are surely cloth attached to the inside of the mask.

does that make my helm the datsun hahahah ^^ (although i did relent and raise the angle closer inline with the concept haha)

Lol!... NO WAY!... Your helmet is also great!!! ... I'm just saying, people design some pretty awesome things, but when the powers that be get involved, we usually get a watered down version. I just hope that some of the cool made it into the final Helm.

and i called his hands tools but ho hum hahaha :p stop getting in the way of a good war hahahah

and i called his hands tools but ho hum hahaha :p stop getting in the way of a good war hahahah

The way most wars are started... misunderstandings! Well, not saying it's a misunderstanding.... well... ok back to your regularly scheduled duel and WIP.

The way most wars are started... misunderstandings! Well, not saying it's a misunderstanding.... well... ok back to your regularly scheduled duel and WIP.

Haha!... Thanks!... Actually, wars are started when people take themselves waaayyy too serious... They forget the fun of creating, building, and sharing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back