Tomorrowland

I've taken on Young Frank's Jet-Pack as my next project. I sourced the two Electrolux Model 30 vacuum cleaners, but could use some help ID'ing any additional found items. (I'm having trouble finding anything on the vintage fire extinguishers -- perhaps made specially to fit inside the Electrolix frames?)

Here are some shots I took at the exhibit, for reference. I ask only that you post here if you have hunches on any of the components:

IMG_20150416_204826.jpgIMG_20150416_211534.jpgIMG_20150416_211550.jpgIMG_20150416_211608.jpgIMG_20150416_211625.jpg

Hi there. I'm also working on one of these jetpacks! So I will be watching and contributing to this thread frequently. Any leads on the straps? And yeah, what the heck are those vents at the bottom. One thing I noticed that isn't seen in these photos, there are two small filing camping shovel heads that are used to block the flames! You can see them in the film easily!

Unrelated to the jetpack, I did track down Casey's NASA baseball cap! http://www.e4hats.com/nasa-insignia...10Cd3KXj0vVk9lvoa-Asxhrneqo-ysEZafBoCBlbw_wcB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 281
Here are some screen grabs I just pulled from one of the clips.

I start building mine in a couple weeks, the goal being Comic Con to have it ready. I will post pics as I go once I get started.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I had a vague notion that there would be an Edison phonograph involved since one of the trailers shows Clooney looking over its bell.

I don't have screen grabs, but it looks to be some sort of Edison Standard Phonograph, but the model was unclear.

8558851_1.jpg

Gustave Eiffel does have an apartment on top of the Eiffel Tower, but it seems to only have wax figures of himself and Thomas Edison. No Tesla or Verne (though the restaurant in the tower is called the Jules Verne)

image.jpg

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/gustav-eiffel-s-secret-apartment

The link says that Edison did give one of his phonographs to Eiffel.

On a side note, people today interchange phonograph and gramophone (and victrola) with disc-playing machines.

However, during the turn of the century, phonograph still referred to Edison's cylinder-playing machine, forcing Emile Berliner to create the "gramophone" name for his flat disc machine.

It's a little odd that the characters called the phonograph cylinder as the "Edison tube". Cylinders were known as "records" before the invention of the flat-disc. These flat discs were then called "records" to contrast with "cylinder". Then the term "78" evolved to contrast with vinyl LPs and 45s.

Confusingly, Edison would later market an Edison gramophone that would play his Edison Diamond Discs which were more durable and nearly unbreakable compared to 78s. However, his vertical-cut grooves arguably gave better sound, but were incompatible with other players.

I already had some cylinders that I've been collecting featuring the music of BioShock Infinite.

qAEwDLX.jpg

I only caught a quick glimpse, but I think I could make out "Echo All Over the World" which means it's a slightly older cylinder design, not to be confused with the ones that say only "Edison Record"

edisongoldmoulded.jpg

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/history-goldmoulded.php

It's an Edison Gold Molded Record. These are rather common to find if you're prop hunting; they were produced from 1902-1912.

Clooney actually correctly handled the cylinder (two fingers inside). The cylinder was black which was accurate to the case. The technology was by then sufficiently advanced enough to avoid have one performer sing multiple times to make enough copies into wax blanks. Later developments actually used celluloid plastic in the Blue Amberols for better durability.

Did they actually find a cylinder that played "La Marseillaise"? The Edison record would indicate an American release as opposed to a French Pathe recording.

It's a little difficult to find "discographies" for cylinders (most books being out of print). The UCSB Cylinder Archive has some possibilities.

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/search.php?query=la+marseillaise&queryType=@attr+1=1016

guys, I was looking to ID for the rocket exhaust bottoms for you. I cant seem to find them. They may be some type of old vacuum cleaner water suction attachment.
I check Cal-custom,Cragar scoop and Thrush exhaust tips. It definitely looks like actual old aluminum with patina. Interesting pieces used. Just caught my eye.

If you try posting on the hamb, if it truly is a vintage car part, someone there may ID for you.

Did I just see a Han in Carbonite in one of the trailers on TV?

Update: I guess I did.

When Casey Britt Robertson learns about Tomorrowland, of course, she’s curious. The trailer shows her learning more about it from characters played by Keegan-Michael Key and Kathryn Hahn. They work in a comic book store, or something to that effect, complete with Han Solo in Carbonite on the wall.

http://www.slashfilm.com/tomorrowland-movie-disneyland-connection/

Last edited by a moderator:
guys, I was looking to ID for the rocket exhaust bottoms for you. I cant seem to find them. They may be some type of old vacuum cleaner water suction attachment.
I check Cal-custom,Cragar scoop and Thrush exhaust tips. It definitely looks like actual old aluminum with patina. Interesting pieces used. Just caught my eye.

If you try posting on the hamb, if it truly is a vintage car part, someone there may ID for you.

These were made custom for the film. They're based off of vintage car transmission scoops, but made at a much smaller scale...

These were made custom for the film. They're based off of vintage car transmission scoops, but made at a much smaller scale...
Interesting transmission for a car or something else? Anyhow lost interest in this movie cause it made Tron 3 go away. Yeah it bugs. But i do like rocket jetpacks.

Whether the movie was a hit or not my family still enjoyed a lot of it. Nothing can take away my love of the design of this jet pack. I blame Lone Ranger, John Carter, & Prince of Persia just as much for Tron 3 cancellation as well as the future Star Wars prospects and the easy money success of churning out live action adaptations of the old cartoons. In the end Tomorrowland will make back its budget and then some. It is already at made back 133 of it 190 million budget.

Here's my first pass at the handles... Still missing a few odds and ends obviously, but I think a nice start. Found pvc pipe at Home Depot that had the right shape, also nice for keeping the weight of it down!

20150531_115017.jpg

I've worked on cars for 20 years and have never heard of a transmission scoop.
Ha! I was thinking the same exact thing. Not sure where he got info from. But i know a few of these guys are hotroddees and i know a lot hotrodding and those are similar to Cragar or Cal Custom parts.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back