JURASSIC WORLD Owen Grady Costume

I don´t remember the artisan´s name, but here is a picture of him finishing the knife.
(Edit) Actually he is Steve Auvenshine from Kentucky.
NJTQCtY.jpg

Leatherman
LM831624b.jpg

Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

I ordered the Magellan shirt (thanks, Marty McPhly!) and put a little comprehensive guide to dying it for screen accuracy.
These images were made using Photoshop, to avoid wasting actual dye that I purchased.

1) Here is the original shirt. I'm working with the intention of having the base colour contribute to 50% of the final colour.
View attachment 480143

2) Here are the 3 colours I ordered from: http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/idye-for-natural-and-poly-fabrics.html
Because this shirt is a polyester shirt, be sure to ORDER THE POLYESTER DYES.
The colours I ordered were:

a) Turquoise (Mixing with the original colour of the shirt to form the base colour)
b) Royal Blue (for darkness)
c) Silver (for desaturation)

I played around with some photoshop settings, keeping in mind that the original shirt colour will be contributing to 50% of the final colour and came up with the following formula.

View attachment 480144

To ensure the dyes don't completely take over the original shirt colour, I am mixing in more than the recommended amount of water.
Royal Blue and Silver = 1:8 dye/water ratio each
Turquoise = 1:4 dye/water ratio

3) And the final result, in theory should be as follows:
View attachment 480145

I was wondering if there was an update on dying the shirt? I ordered all the same dyes and have the same exact shirt. I'm really trying to make sure I dye mine the right way. You said you added more than the recommended amount of water, how much water did you use?

Is there anyway I could get you to go into more detail about how the dying process should go? I've never dyed a shirt before. THANKS!

Last edited:
Been working on this most the day after finally realizing I needed to get a jump start. Ordered the Jafrum motorcycle vest linked in the thread which luckily ships very close to my home town. Still debating on a few shirts including those found here and some from my own research.

What I really wanted to share was the boots I found which I think may actually be screen accurate. I looked into the Timberland Earthkeepers and noticed that they included one extra cross shaped tread on the soles towards the heel so I went hunting to see if this rang true on all their boots like this and the answer was yes.

So then I found a pair of used boots on eBay from J. Crew that looked good in photos and even proved to have a screen accurate tread. I don't have any other info on them unless the shoe has an inner tag to answer questions once I recieve them but here's a photo-

$_57.jpg

Worn down but definitely identical.

As for pants thought I'd share what I'm going with, easy buy on eBay

HERE (in grey obviously)

Been working on this most the day after finally realizing I needed to get a jump start. Ordered the Jafrum motorcycle vest linked in the thread which luckily ships very close to my home town. Still debating on a few shirts including those found here and some from my own research.

What I really wanted to share was the boots I found which I think may actually be screen accurate. I looked into the Timberland Earthkeepers and noticed that they included one extra cross shaped tread on the soles towards the heel so I went hunting to see if this rang true on all their boots like this and the answer was yes.

So then I found a pair of used boots on eBay from J. Crew that looked good in photos and even proved to have a screen accurate tread. I don't have any other info on them unless the shoe has an inner tag to answer questions once I recieve them but here's a photo-

View attachment 484739

Worn down but definitely identical.

As for pants thought I'd share what I'm going with, easy buy on eBay

HERE (in grey obviously)

Not bad on those J. Crew boots. Costume designer told me specifically his were a brand of Timberlands. He refered to them as "rough out boots" which isn't a model but just a generic term for certain types of boots.

The elusive thing about the boots is, in the photos where you get a good look at the bottom, there is no logo visible. Most Timberlands have some sort of bright yellow or green rubber labeling on the bottom, usually signifying the type of sole/rubber the boot has. I guess it could have been removed digitally considering it could have been seen as distracting to the eye. And as you mentioned, most of them have two cross shaped treads unlike Grady's, which has only one. And the main treads are different on most of the boots I've looked at. So the search continues. Luckily, there are a lot of pull-on/Chelsea-style boots in that color that will work and get you close enough to screen accurate! I'm really happy with these that I got on Amazon. I've actually just been wearing them a lot to rough them up and they're a great boot. Main thing you want to make sure of is that they have that stitching and are not solid on the front (not sure how to better explain that so I've included pics below).

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4305.PNG

81no4f53Q9L._UX500_.jpg

As for those pants, they're close but the material is wrong. His are a canvas material. Old Navy has the perfect ones in the perfect color and fit right now.

The belt looks very close to this Timberland. Not exact exact, but really close.
B5FqqUkCEAA7nyaa.jpg$_57.JPG

The watch is defenetely a Casio G-shock, as the strap matches perfectly (you can even see the six small holes/dimples on it)

unnamed-2aa.jpgClip_2.jpg

Shared by:

G-Shock Ga 100 1a1 as mentioned before by Delta88

.Clip.jpg

Casio G-Shock Ga 120 1a

GA 120 1a.jpg

From the position of what I believe is the smallest third hand I personally think it´s the Ga 100

unnamed-1a.jpg

It also seems they painted the silver buckle black.

009aa.jpg 001a.jpgJW_Carbineaa.jpg

Last edited:
Going off real world photos of the costume on display at CityWalk Hollywood I think the pants I got match almost exactly. The structure is much more evident.

I have also found that brands are of little relevance to designers- they get brands wrong all the time. Remembering one thing over another. I have been in contact with several over the years who always get at least one or two things wrong and prove to be something else. Not saying the boots I got are exact but when nothing seems to line up from a brand that tends to be my conclusion.

- - - Updated - - -

The belt looks very close to this Timberland. Not exact exact, but really close.
View attachment 485622View attachment 485623

I actually ended up buying that exact belt.

Nice on the watch, guess I have another purchase to make.

Wow! Those are beautiful. Any idea when they'll be available on your site?

Also, would you mind posting a photo of the belt so we can see the buckle detail? Thank you!

I am so sorry this took so long! In part I was waiting for a better look at the belt, to be sure they actually used ours. They may have (it's hard to tell, since we didn't send it weathered), but it isn't our buckle. The knife sheath and multi-tool holster aren't specifically on the website yet, but can be ordered as specialty items. Everything we do is hand-made, and he is charging $50 for the holster and $100 for the hand-fitted sheath (we'd need the knife sent to us for the fit). I don't want to abuse my membership by posting an ad for our work, but the website is www.dlwtn.com. The picture below is obviously of a much shorter and less pointy blade.

left_and_right_set.jpg

Here's the back side of the wristwatch strap.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-06-12-at-6.38.35-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-06-12-at-6.38.35-PM.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 309
Nice close up Mike. Either a gA 100 or 120 as posted before, buckle painted black
I just saw the movie and not a close up or clear shot of the watch.
In a B roll, Chris pratt jokes about his own speed measured with the watch, Both models do that, but Casio site says that the GA 120 is based on a motorcycle design...tip here?
The Ga 120 comes all black too. What I think are the hands of the watch may be reflections playing games.
Conclusion? I don´t know.

Last edited:
Great stuff guys! Does anyone have any pics of what they have so far? And what do we think about the henley? Homespun? http://www.styleforum.net/t/271539/homespun-knitwear-short-sleeve-henley-size-large

Last edited:
Here's a few photos of my finished costume at last night's opening night of JURASSIC WORLD. On a Triumph Scrambler (the bike he rides in the movie) and in a replica JP Jeep to boot, which definitely helped put on the finishing touches. Really happy with how it all came together. Felt like a looked the part after painstakingly working on this trying to get as SA as possible! Seem to pay off as well as everyone at the theater loved it and was surprised how spot on it looked.

IMG_4172.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4162.jpg

I'll update with some photos of my custom made Leatherman pouch. I had a friend who is a leatherworker make me one based off the photos from Dragon Leatherworks and it came out really good! Was also really happy with the sub knife I found. Very similar handle shape and blade shape based on the photos posted and the wooden handle has a similar look as well as the three metal pins. Even came with a really nice leather sheath that could easily have that leather loop added so you can wear it horizontal with your belt. Will also add in some of the photos of the Red Ryder Mod I did. That gun is super to disassemble and spray paint silver. Then sand down the wooden stock and stain it to a darker greyish blackish brown. This is the scope you want. It's very close to SA. Trying to find a con alternative. Unfortunately the closest thing that is con permissible is a toy Winchester, which doesn't have the same stock shape...but it'll do the job.

Also, before you point it out...yes, I know I apparently resemble Jake Johnson's Lowery character - the heroic hipster Nedry. A lot of people have said that the past two days. No matter how much I try to be the motorcycle riding, Raptor whispering badass, I'll always be the computer nerd with dinosaur toys. haha

la-et-hc-jurassic-world-desk-20150610.jpg la-et-hc-jake-johnson-jurassic-world-20150610.jpg

BUT this has inspired me to start working on that costume. Coincidentally I already own THE EXACT pearlsnap shirt he's wearing in the film. It's a brand sold at Urban Outfitters called Salt Valley (apparently costume designers use that brand in a lot of movies and TV shows).

$_57.JPG $_12.JPG $_57-2.JPG

They sell the vintage-style weathered Jurassic Park logo baseball t on the official Jurassic World online store (luckily it's $18 and not $150 on ebay like his!). The hipster horn rims and that model of retro Casio watch (it's either the A158W-1 or the A168W-1) can easily be found on Amazon. Seems they used a lot of Casios, augofett! UPDATE: From this photo, it looks like a A158W-1, which doesn't have as much labeling on the face as the A168W-1.

2424_D067_00144R.jpg

I'll have to see the film again to get a glimpse of the pants he's wearing. Doubt we ever got a look at his shoes. But he seems like a Converse kind of guy.

Last edited:
Found a set photo of Jake - light washed jeans and suede chukkas. http://vincentdonofriovixen.tumblr.com/image/93364173445

Thanks for that photo! Probably the best look we get at Lowery's whole ensemble. Jeans in that wash will be easy. I have those Chukkas already (Clarks - JJ wears those in New Girl all the time). Might change it up with Chucks though...IMO they'll look better with the outfit and still fit the character's style. I could be wrong but I don't think you ever even see his shoes in the movie.

Just got out of the film, and loved it!

The raptor training clicker appeared to be the same sort of thing used by paratroopers in Normandy for the D-Day landing. They were a kids' toy called the Cricket made by a British company called ACME. If you look on eBay there are some available, apparently made by the same factory.

Also, before you point it out...yes, I know I apparently resemble Jake Johnson's Lowery character - the heroic hipster Nedry. A lot of people have said that the past two days. No matter how much I try to be the motorcycle riding, Raptor whispering badass, I'll always be the computer nerd with dinosaur toys. haha

View attachment 489016 View attachment 489015

BUT this has inspired me to start working on that costume. Coincidentally I already own THE EXACT pearlsnap shirt he's wearing in the film. It's a brand sold at Urban Outfitters called Salt Valley (apparently costume designers use that brand in a lot of movies and TV shows).

View attachment 489012 View attachment 489010 View attachment 489011

They sell the vintage-style weathered Jurassic Park logo baseball t on the official Jurassic World online store (luckily it's $18 and not $150 on ebay like his!). The hipster horn rims and that model of retro Casio watch (it's either the A158W-1 or the A168W-1) can easily be found on Amazon. Seems they used a lot of Casios, augofett! UPDATE: From this photo, it looks like a A158W-1, which doesn't have as much labeling on the face as the A168W-1.

View attachment 489074

I'll have to see the film again to get a glimpse of the pants he's wearing. Doubt we ever got a look at his shoes. But he seems like a Converse kind of guy.

I was able to track down that the specific Salt Valley shirt is the Salt Valley Terrence Western Shirt. But at least on the website it is listed as sold out. Any ideas on where more of these might be found? Would the brick&mortar stores possibly still have some?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back