Avengers: Age of Ultron (Post-release)

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron (Pre-release)

Was watching the movie and something bugged me. Why is Tony stark involved in the avengers. Didn't he quit being iron man in IM3. Didn't he destroy all his suits. Didn't he remove the reactor from his chest. Much like the wookie defense........it don't make sense.

He got rid of the Arc Reactor because its original purpose was keeping shrapnel from moving into his heart, which he had removed through surgery. When he walks away from the Malibu house he's like an addict or someone with depression walking away from their personal demons or pity party, he still intends to be IM, he's just getting a fresh start.

Clean slate. Leaving his PTSD behind him, but still a S.H.I.E.L.D. consultant, still running Stark Industries, and still Iron Man when the Avengers need him to be. New suits, cuz his approach has pretty much always been "as soon as it's made it's obsolete". He'd been powering the suits independently of his personal reactor since IM2 (probably recognized the problem in staying alive if the suit drained all of the energy from the thing keeping the shrapnel out of his heart). Bear in mind, though, that because of his breakthrough in that movie, everything from the Mark VI on has been powered by the Tesseract. *heh* And his timeline between Avengers and IM3 was "tinkering". He made a new Mark VIII to replace the Mark VII trashed in the fight against the Chitauri, then tweaked up through Mark XI before starting to focus on specific elements. He fiddled with alternate materials on XII, XIII, and XIV. Then from XV through XLI, he tried out things like higher-powered repulsors, variable-environment operability, stealth approaches, faster flight systems, etc., until he put everything he'd learned into the Mark XLII, along with testing the independently-maneuverable armor pieces.

So after he'd worked through all that, he remembered that he's Iron Man. The suits are tools, but he'd been using them to put a shell between him and the world. Now the new Marks (XLIII through XLVI as of Civil War) are just his newest and best tools for doing what he does. He may be Iron Man, but he is still squishy without the armor. :p

--Jonah

Here's my question. Why 'cure' Pepper of Extremis? Eric and Killian seemed to get by without having any issues of it interfering with their normal daily routines.

Clean slate. Leaving his PTSD behind him, but still a S.H.I.E.L.D. consultant, still running Stark Industries, and still Iron Man when the Avengers need him to be. New suits, cuz his approach has pretty much always been "as soon as it's made it's obsolete". He'd been powering the suits independently of his personal reactor since IM2 (probably recognized the problem in staying alive if the suit drained all of the energy from the thing keeping the shrapnel out of his heart). Bear in mind, though, that because of his breakthrough in that movie, everything from the Mark VI on has been powered by the Tesseract. *heh* And his timeline between Avengers and IM3 was "tinkering". He made a new Mark VIII to replace the Mark VII trashed in the fight against the Chitauri, then tweaked up through Mark XI before starting to focus on specific elements. He fiddled with alternate materials on XII, XIII, and XIV. Then from XV through XLI, he tried out things like higher-powered repulsors, variable-environment operability, stealth approaches, faster flight systems, etc., until he put everything he'd learned into the Mark XLII, along with testing the independently-maneuverable armor pieces.

So after he'd worked through all that, he remembered that he's Iron Man. The suits are tools, but he'd been using them to put a shell between him and the world. Now the new Marks (XLIII through XLVI as of Civil War) are just his newest and best tools for doing what he does. He may be Iron Man, but he is still squishy without the armor. :p

--Jonah

Wait, powered by the tesseract? What did I miss?

Watch IM2 after Captain America: The First Avenger. Howard Stark's notebook ends on the last couple pages showing sketches of the typical mathematical diagram of a tesseract, which he fished out of the ocean while trying to find Cap in the '40s. The implication is he obsessed on it enough to figure out what it was and how to make it, but lacked the tech to do so. Rather than risk it falling into the wrong hands, he encoded it into the layout of the Stark Expo and left a message for his son, in hopes he'd be able to pick up where his dad had had to leave off. Which Tony did. The energy signature is the same. And apparently the Tesseract/Space Infinity Stone tastes like coconut and metal.

--Jonah

Here's my question. Why 'cure' Pepper of Extremis? Eric and Killian seemed to get by without having any issues of it interfering with their normal daily routines.

It seemed to me like the power would build when not in use, creating the need to "maintain" or go boom, so Pepper's usage of it during the final fight may have only been enough to drain the power down a bit, but long term it would flare back up and make her explode.

It seemed to me like the power would build when not in use, creating the need to "maintain" or go boom, so Pepper's usage of it during the final fight may have only been enough to drain the power down a bit, but long term it would flare back up and make her explode.
... every 28 days?

Watch IM2 after Captain America: The First Avenger. Howard Stark's notebook ends on the last couple pages showing sketches of the typical mathematical diagram of a tesseract, which he fished out of the ocean while trying to find Cap in the '40s. The implication is he obsessed on it enough to figure out what it was and how to make it, but lacked the tech to do so. Rather than risk it falling into the wrong hands, he encoded it into the layout of the Stark Expo and left a message for his son, in hopes he'd be able to pick up where his dad had had to leave off. Which Tony did. The energy signature is the same. And apparently the Tesseract/Space Infinity Stone tastes like coconut and metal.

--Jonah

OK I laughed out loud with that one!

Where is Natalie Portman in all this? Thor is starting to sound like that kids who's got this amazing girlfriend from summer camp. "Suuuuuure you do, buddy"

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Where is Natalie Portman in all this? Thor is starting to sound like that kids who's got this amazing girlfriend from summer camp. "Suuuuuure you do, buddy"

Honestly I bet it's a budget thing. The studios can only afford to pay so much for these movies and having Portman and Paltro would have probably killed the costs. Plus, let's be honest, what could they possibly offer the story other than becoming damsels in distress?

Honestly I bet it's a budget thing. The studios can only afford to pay so much for these movies and having Portman and Paltro would have probably killed the costs. Plus, let's be honest, what could they possibly offer the story other than becoming damsels in distress?

Even though Paltrow was in the last movie, I would hardly call her role as the damsel. Well, not a 'direct' one at least since the whole world was a stake and she was in not in any immediate danger.

If Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) could have been in the movie, she could easily have replaced Erik as the person Thor went to for help, and if she was at the actual party and there was some back and forth banter, her appearence later wouldn't be "who is this person?" like it was with Erik. And since Erik shows up at the Avengers HQ in the end, it would have been more appropriate for her to be there to see Thor off as he leaves for Asgard. I mean, come on. You can't brag about how awesome the person you love is if you can't even say goodbye to her... AGAIN!

Now, why was Natalie Portman not in this movie? Well, according to imdb.com regarding Thor: The Dark World,

In late 2011, Patty Jenkins was officially announced as director for this film. In December 2011, she backed out of the project due to "creative differences." Natalie Portman was publicly upset that talks between Marvel and Patty Jenkins broke down, some sources even claim she threatened not to take part in the film with another director but couldn't get out of her contract.

I don't think she wants to work with Marvel anymore. And who can blame her? They turned Jane Foster into a literal McGuffin that all the guys fight over. The only thing that could possibly interest her in coming back is if they had Jane Foster be the next Thor. And before you jump on the 'dumb idea' bandwagon, the comic is really, REALLY good.

While I really like Natalie Portman as an actor, Jane Foster is a logistic ball and chain for Thor.
Thor needs to date around.
We don't need to kill Jane but maybe have her character not-irreversibly deactivated (e.g. amnesia, coma, banished to another dimension, dumps Thor and gets married ...)?

I realize that. I just wish they would stop mentioning her. Or recast her

I can see them using Jane as a reference to locate/have an idea about the other infinity stones, say her consciousness was able to travel through space because of the Aether, and "feeling" the other stones. Since she basically was the stone, she could have been granted higher power than we could comprehend. Thor dipped into a puddle and found out about the stones, Jane could be tossed in there too and remember where she seen them while in her Aether state. Just an easy throwaway scene where she has knowledge and is useful for once since TDW. Then flashbacks of Malaketh hit her hard and she's sent off to cope and can be set aside until she's needed again. If she wants to leave, get Kiera Knightley as her replacement :lol

I think you should at least rent it. I love the main bad guy. His motives are clear and I love the actor. Loki has a wonderful showing in this one. The byplay between him and Thor is... perfect. They're totally brothers. Jane catches wind of a dimensional convergence that Selvig is already trying to prevent -- but he's had a bit of a breakdown after being controlled by the Mind Stone. Short versionL SHe ends up getting possessed by the Reality Stone and many problems ensue.

--Jonah

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back