Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Soooo... I've decided that since I have spent the past several months slowly building my Rey that it might be a good idea to actually TRY IT ALL ON Together just once... LOL.

Seriously, I have been prop-making and clothing-sewing for so long now that I really hadn't actually put it all on together to see what it looks like.

I did so last night:

12622393_10208089976103506_1225230163840801730_o.jpg
12670619_10208089976743522_5649922890345570489_n.jpg
12705453_10208089976583518_994204158048020885_n.jpg
12651127_10208089977023529_8964887906285004486_n.jpg
12705611_10208089976383513_731001077335245692_n.jpg

I still have a LONG way to go. I'll make the head wrap next, and then it's on to the backpack. I have canisters and such for that on the way, and I have a flashlight housing on the way that I think will work.

I also need to weather the clothing...airbrushing and dry brushing shall commence!!

Does anyone have good links/tips for weathering? I primarily do pretty costumes, so I'm really struggling on how to get Rey to a good point. I just don't have enough practice with weathering techniques :/

Well fortunately rey's main things aren't *super* distressed (unlike the Lara Croft Reborn that I had to do a few years ago) so there isn't a major amount you'll need to do.

The main thing I think is to try to not be so perfect with dyeing your fabric. Many of us have purchased our fabrics from Dharma Trading for like the tunic and such, and they all come in a natural tone...so they need to be dyed. When I dyed my tunic, for example, I had it wetted but wadded up in a ball when I put it into the dye bath and I only left it in for a minute or two before wringing it out. So I ended up with a dye job that had some lighter and darker areas... which helps the material to look sort of lived in.

beyond that I have found that once you've got your outfit built, it's helpful to assemble it on a duct tape dummy of yourself and use an airbrush to add weathering to the garments. Think about where dirt and grime naturally collects on clothes that are work for extended periods of time...darken in the seams and folds of the fabrics to make them more worn in looking.

The advantage of having the costume on the dummy is that then you have a three dimensional model to look at, and you can use your asthete's eye to determine which areas need attention.

Here is a shot of the distressed Lara costume I mentioned earlier:

943467_10200888660235110_883436155_n.jpg

This was done with a combination of acrylic and spray paints applied to the fabric while it was on a mannequin.

Thanks, JJ. Of course I love my staff kit that I got from you, and I'll soon be finishing the ST blaster kit I bought from you for my Starkiller Base version of the costume.

So I owe a good bit of thanks to you. :thumbsup

The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising's "Art of Motion Picture Costume" exhibit opens tomorrow in LA.

Exhibit Info

Confirmed Star Wars costumes are:

Phasma
Kylo Ren
Finn Trooper with blooded helmet
Rey Jakku
Resistance fuller alien
Maz bar alien

The Han, Finn, Rey, Leia and Trooper costumes from El Cap couldn't be procured because of overlap with the exhibits. And still no Skellig Island Rey.

There is also Mad Max and Cinderella, Hateful 8 and Hamlet, Revenant and many more. This is always a fantastic exhibit, and photography is allowed (no flash).

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words! There are some great kits out there, so I appreciate that. I still need to finish the grips and get them molded before I decide to do anything

The Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising's "Art of Motion Picture Costume" exhibit opens tomorrow in LA.

Exhibit Info

Confirmed Star Wars costumes are:

Phasma
Kylo Ren
Finn Trooper with blooded helmet
Rey Jakku
Resistance fuller alien
Maz bar alien

The Han, Finn, Rey, Leia and Trooper costumes from El Cap couldn't be procured because of overlap with the exhibits. And still no Skellig Island Rey.

There is also Mad Max and Cinderella, Hateful 8 and Hamlet, Revenant and many more. This is always a fantastic exhibit, and photography is allowed (no flash).
Will you be there taking photos? I'd love some shots of Phasma's cape and Trooper Finn. :)

2016-02-09_8-04-27.jpg

My blaster progress. I didn't do the 3D print, it was a kit purchased from Nerd Prints (http://nerdprints.wix.com/nerdprints#!product-page/c136p/49e5fe8b-5edc-9bbc-b8e5-a40c1d9dc893). The kit was $20 so I figured I'd go ahead and see how it turned out, since I won't be able to bring the staff to my next con (they have a props can't be taller than the cosplayer rule...). My painting isn't the greatest, but I'm pretty proud of this!

I painted each piece separately in an metallic black acrylic, then with silver leaf rub 'n buff. I have a few touch ups to do, like where the silver got into the grooves, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back