Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hi!
I'm slowly backreading this thread and everything is super helpful.
I'm currently making the wrap dress and its almost done except for some more dyeing/weathering. I was just wondering, how are people making sure the wrap doesn't keep slipping off your shoulders? It's about the right width, I thought maybe I could sew it to the shirt after wrapping it on myself, but idk if it's just the material i used (a thicker cotton muslin, I can't find viscose locally atm)

Last edited:
Hi!
I'm currently making the wrap dress and its almost done except for some more dyeing/weathering. I was just wondering, how are people making sure the wrap doesn't keep slipping off your shoulders? It's about the right width, I thought maybe I could sew it to the shirt after wrapping it on myself, but idk if it's just the material i used (a thicker cotton muslin, I can't find viscose locally atm)

I sewed hidden snaps, some have sewed it right to the shirt, I think I remember reading others here used velcro, etc. I believe in the film they were attached to the shirt all along the shoulder seam. The best evidence of this is the scene where Finn and Rey are running to the quad jumper on Jakku and when it explodes, they both stop suddenly. If you watch closely, her tabards billow forward when she stops quick, except on her shoulders, where they don't budge at all. (The photo doesn't really illustrate this, but if you watch that scene you'll see exactly what I mean.)

sw-force-awakens-movie-screencaps.com-3551.jpg

gloves look great, but dear god that must have been a lot of work!

Not too bad:D It wasn't really hard, just a little time consuming.
I drew the shape to cut out on the glove while I was wearing it and looking at pics of the display gloves. The first one I tried to use the sewing machine on it.
Just don't.
I cut canvas squares out, hemmed them, and hand sewed them in. It really helps if you take your leather needle and use it to punch out the stitch holes before you start sewing. Makes it go a lot faster!
I then sewed the whole glove back together, dyed it, and patterned the suede-ish palm. (Flesh side of some goatskin I happened to have.) Ithen dyed that piece of leather and sewed it on, and then sewed the whole thing back together.
I just finished the canvas insets on the second glove tonight, so almost done with the pair!

Hi!

After gathering the wrap dress, i stitched it directly to the shoulders all along the shoulder seams.

In addition, i put the tunic and wrap dress on, and draped it where I wanted it. then had a helper pin the wraps in place where I wanted everything, then took it all off and direct sewed the wraps to the tunic along the waistline in front where it would be hidden by the belt. this way i don't have to constantly adjust the wraps when moving about.

I also tack stitched the two edges of the wrap dress together in the rear just below the belt line to keep them from gaping too much in the back. (Then I go ahead and wqear the head wrap and backpack and cover it all up anyway LOL)

I just found myself fidgetting way too much with the wraps before doing this, and now i just toss it on and belt it and go. SO much easier.

15555885_10205962040610186_773813559_n.jpg

Finally!

p1KpILBl.jpg

Had to take brand new photos just to show my correct glove/bracer setup. *eyeroll* But we got our backdrop temporarily set up and did photos of a few things, so wasn't a huge deal. I also got to fix my headwrap, which wasn't correct in the original submission photos (but oddly wasn't required to be fixed...)

And just for fun, here's a shot without the headwrap - I still need to style my wig, since my hair is blonde and just a tad too short for the hairstyle anyway.

I've worn the costume once, for a Rogue One troop, and it's honestly pretty annoying to wear. I'm going to have to tack down my wraps like Kristen did so they don't move around so much. I'm also considering getting a new belt (any suggestions?) because this one isn't perfect. It's also too tight on me, but I gotta lose weight anyway. :rolleyes

Finally!

http://i.imgur.com/p1KpILBl.jpg

Had to take brand new photos just to show my correct glove/bracer setup. *eyeroll* But we got our backdrop temporarily set up and did photos of a few things, so wasn't a huge deal. I also got to fix my headwrap, which wasn't correct in the original submission photos (but oddly wasn't required to be fixed...)

http://i.imgur.com/tj2Vqrzl.jpg

And just for fun, here's a shot without the headwrap - I still need to style my wig, since my hair is blonde and just a tad too short for the hairstyle anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/g2FyTwFl.jpg

I've worn the costume once, for a Rogue One troop, and it's honestly pretty annoying to wear. I'm going to have to tack down my wraps like Kristen did so they don't move around so much. I'm also considering getting a new belt (any suggestions?) because this one isn't perfect. It's also too tight on me, but I gotta lose weight anyway. :rolleyes

Firstly... you look sensational. Seriously, Top Marks.

Second, I had the same problem with my belt being tighter than I'd like. Rather than remake it, i made extensions for the tips and hand stitched them on. When you fold it over to put through the belt slots, your add on isn't going to show anyway (it's covered by the strap itself) so no harm done. This is even more true on the lower belt piece, because you also have the pouch to hide this.

Sweet...Might want to check out this forum for more info: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260585
I'm trying to set up an RPF meetup like I've done for Dragoncon for the past 3 years.

just a head's up there is also a Rey costume facebook group looking at a meetup at Celebration on Sat.

We are hoping to attend both your RPF meet and that one if the times & locations don't conflict.

1484011741663-1718296793.jpg

Did the armwraps today. I went ahead and did both taupe and pearl gray; a splash of taupe, and a slightly smaller splash of pearl grey in uncomfortably warm water. I had my previously dyed shirt at hand for comparison, and when the wraps were about the color of the shirt (they may have been ever so slightly darker) I pulled them out, rinsed them off, and dried one end with a hairdryer to get the accurate color.
Bingo!
Then I decided to dye the compression sleeves. 1484012044825-1216091385.jpg
I
They started out very ...white. I put them in the same bath as the wraps for a few minutes which gave them a gray cast, but it looked too bluey grey, so I made another dye bath with a couple splashes of tan and a splash of taupe. See how scientific I am?

Anyhow, a couple of minutes or so stirring them and pulling out to check frequently, and they were perfect! I threw everything in the dryer, and only realized after I pulled it back out that the sleeves were line dry only. Whoops. They appear to be ok, so I guess no harm done.

Hey, guys. Long shot, I know, but does anyone have a set of Boots bandages that are not needed? Or similar? I can't find the link in this thread to the alternate that was on Amazon that many used and need to get another set. The ones from Kristen are fab, but committed to my scavenger Rey and I'm now making Resistance Rey and was going to dye a set grey for that. No biggie if not, of course. Just putting it out there. Thanks!

Oh, and welcome to the newest Reys! Everyone looks so great!

FINALLY debuted Rey last night! Only took me like a year to complete the costume... haha.

Overall I'm happy with it, though it's a hassle to wear and I need to make some adjustments. Eventually I'd like to make the backpack, and I also got a wig to try and style. One day I'll get around to putting together the Graflex, too. Fingers crossed it gets accepted into the RL!

Test run:
http://i.imgur.com/FuaAk3vl.jpg

All put together!
http://i.imgur.com/bapslqHl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UZxuwzFl.jpg

Super nice

Whelp, I think it's almost time to dye the silk. I have the dharma instructions, but does anyone have any tips that might be useful?
For instance, how different is it to dye silk from other fabrics? Using an acid dye, so how easy or not are those to use? And has anyone made the pants completely from scratch? (I'm confident with the pattern, I'm just hoping for silk sewing tips)

Almost finished with the gloves! I put elastic in the wrist of the one glove I posted pics of earlier, so that one is now screen accurate, and I've almost finished sewing the leather onto the palm of the second glove. As soon as I finish that and the elastic I will be done with the gloves. I actually hope to have them finished before the end of the week.

Does anyone know a good place to get the blaster? Metal would be nice, but it's out of my price range, so I'm looking for a 3D print. Does anyone know which is the best one in terms of size?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back