Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Soooooooo, not to re-open a discussion on a part of the costume that has already been decided on, but with the bracer. Are we sure it is two pieces of leather glued together and not just one piece dyed dark on one side and lighter on the other? I only ask because as many screen shots and promo shots I have looked at I can't really see where the leather is bonded. I sent a screen capture to a local leather company and they said it was a milled vegetable tanned leather, and sent me the below photo. Looks pretty spot on texture wise. They said you just need to dye it. Thoughts?

Leather cuff.jpgRey21a.jpg

Ok, disregard this comment. I went into Tandy Leather that was close by and we discussed it more. The agreed upon method does seem right. They told me how to get the look and hide the edge. The more you know...., lol, should have trusted the thread anyway.

Leather cuff.jpg

Rey21a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think it looked like there were two pieces back to back from the edge angles. Mine is a rush anyway but it'd be nice to figure out.

I also saw on the RL forum that the belt "buckle" they were discussing is much different...no idea. I just briefly went through their thread. :wacko

Hello Star Wars fans! Long time lurker, but I wanted to come out of the shadows to say thank you to you all for your hard work and diligence in assisting many to construct their Rey costume. I'm in awe of the level of detail and dedication many of you have shown.

Below is the costume i'll be wearing in line for tomorrows premier. Most of the pieces are from my local thrift shop and army surplus store. The staff is the halloween store costume piece that I hacked up and added hardware store components to make it taller. Thankfully I didn't have to add much as i'm quite short ;) I also purchased the work gloves Division6 suggested and stained them darker. I couldn't swing the cost of the Pozu boots, but found a suitable substitute of roxy boots on ebay. I ran out of time to construct the leather bracer, as well as the belt (mine is just two regular belts). Despite all this I am proud of my accomplishment in completing my first true cosplay (i've disneybounded before) and have you all to thank for my inspiration and direction. You guys are the best!

IMG_0731.JPG

I saw the movie yesterday, and that I can tell you is :
The Costume what you did (everyone) is really acurate, (just little more tightening in movie)
and the caracter is really interesting, and powerfull (badass! ).
We'll be suprised for the Next Movie's revelation about her !

May the Force be with all of you!

So being ye olde perfectionist, I'm WAY behind on my cosplay, but rather than mope about such things, I thought I'd share this Rey-related piece (for any interested). It's a piece I did of a casual everyday look inspired by Rey. Something super easy to incorporate into your regular closet. :) (If you click on the picture when it goes to a separate page, beware it blows up HUGE! Though you can see detail the smaller version leaves out...)

******************************** Update ***********************************

And here's the blog post to go with it! I have a breakdown of places you can buy similar looking pieces to what's in the artwork. :)

http://theladynerd.com/everyday-rey/

Attachments

• 20151217_161124.jpg
    20151217_161124.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
(Gah! Can anyone tell me how to get rid of that second imagine in my last post? The answer is eluding me...)

Just got back from seeing The Force Awakens. AAAHH! I am SO happy! Both for the movie and this costume! I LOVED Rey! I wish I could say I dressed up somehow to see the movie, but alas I did not. I did, however, wear my Po-Zu boots. ;) Here's to hoping I can get crack-a-lackin' on this costume soon. I'm just getting really hung up on the right fabrics. (mainly the wrap dress and pants.)

Last edited:
I think when you edit there is something that says manage attachments to remove that img. Funny about wearing just the boots, my GF is doing the same thing.

(Ah! Got it. You have to hit the Edit button twice to go to the master editing page. (Hitting it once just does a 'quick edit" bracket. Thank you redwillow!)

It's been a couple of days since I've done an update, so since I'm still buzzing from seeing The Force Awakens, here we go!

Hair: I've bookmarked a couple hair tutorials, but have yet to try it on myself yet. I'm such a dunce when it comes to hair (I can't even braid properly. It's a shame, I know...). **Although I did notice in the film last night that when Rey looks down towards the end of the movie, the top section of hair is braided into the first bun. I'm not sure if it's like that in the rest of the movie (as the braid is with her Spoiler Outfit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZuSqy9E2M

Makeup: Fairly simple and I bet I could figure it out on my own. But for now, here's a good tutorial!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFMMispOrU4

Undershirt: I got the hemp-jersey fabric from Dharma Trading. It's currently still in its bag. (Does it need to be washed before getting to sewing? I'm not sewing it (I'm awful at it), but I can go ahead and wash it if need be.

Wrap Dress: The fabric for this one is driving me nuts. I know the plaque at Celebration said 'viscose' but I can't find any that looks right. (In the film, it looks more like a cotton to my semi-untrained eyes). Haaaalp!

Pants: Same as the wrap dress.

Belt: Haven't even started on this yet.

Bracer: Haven't even started on this yet. I should probably do that though. I've got the pattern. Just need to get the leather pieces. Any recommendations of good leather that would hold up to distressing? (I worry that the scraps from Hobby Lobby might now). Thoughts?

Boots: Got the Po-Zu boots in the first round of orders. I love them so much! So stupidly comfy!

Staff: Haven't even started on this yet. Trying to figure out the best route to go with....Building it myself from Home Depot parts per the Instructables tutorial or going with JJ Griffin's kit.

Bag: Haven't even started on it yet. Just reading all of your posts on the clips and bags make my head spin. @_@ Going to work on the costume first. :p

LadyNerd... don't let yourself get bogged down in what you still have to do. pick one area and attack that. once you do, the completion of it will give you the drive to go to the next and the next and before you know it you'll be done.

As to the staff, i know it's some money to go with JJ's kit, but PLEASE DO! I was going to go the HD route too, but I know i would never be pleased with it, and since you are as much the perfectionist as I am, I'm sure that you wouldn't be happy with it either. JJ's kit is PERFECT! and once you gte it all put onto the dowel rod and painted you will think "THIS is Rey's staff!".

If you can swing the money, i would absolutely suggest that you get his kit.:thumbsup

I'm still looking out for a bag to make into the pouch for you.

kristenhenry70 is right! One thing at a time :) I bought all my materials first, and then just multi-tasked as much as possible. I agree on the staff! JJ's kit is amazing.

In an attempt to finish, I did not sleep Wednesday night. Literally. I made my shirt very last to make sure I wouldn't go to sleep until I finished, and I threw it together in an hour without a real pattern :p So the shirt is just a base, missing all her details, and the viscose really needs to be dyed, and the arm wraps need adjusting and dyeing. But this is how it turned out! I didn't see a single other Rey last night (and I went to two showings at two different theater locations!). Several people wanted pictures and said they loved it. I'm also a perfectionist so it was hard to me to have it not be 100% perfect!

Thank you all SO MUCH to everyone for all your hard work and research. I know we aren't done and there is always more to learn now that we have more footage, but this has turned out to be a fantastic project and experience. I weathered the staff with a little fullers earth right before I left, and rubbed it on myself (it worked a little bit, but it was a rush and my first time using it). Here are a few pics! One of our Alamo Drafthouses has this awesome artwork up.

IMG_3202.JPGIMG_3196.JPGIMG_3218.JPGIMG_3220.JPGIMG_3219.JPGIMG_3221.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3202.JPG
    IMG_3202.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    994.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    990.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    818.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3221.JPG
    IMG_3221.JPG
    801.4 KB · Views: 128
What's the spoiler policy in this thread?

Because I NEED the wool vest from the end. SO NEED. IT'S SO CUTE. Who has photos?!!!

What's the spoiler policy in this thread?

Because I NEED the wool vest from the end. SO NEED. IT'S SO CUTE. Who has photos?!!!

Pretty sure no spoilers for a couple days at least..that's what I'd imagine but I don't know for sure. There was a screen shot of her with a new wardrobe piece posted a few pages back though from a tv spot, but we could only see the shoulder and collar.

I don't know when we will have screenshots, but I noticed she has long bracers now that match that vest - and the vest is super awesome. Looks difficult to make. Her pants are different, plus she has a holster now and the blaster from Han. Looks like the only things that stuck were the staff, boots and arm wraps. Even her undershirt looks different and I don't think the pouch and backpack are the same. At least the most expensive stuff (boots and staff) stayed the same! Can't wait for the story to continue. I saw it twice last night, so the second time I was watching her more for her wardrobe at the end rather than the story :p

A friend of mine asked me if I would 3D print the staff for the outfit she was commissioned to do. It was a fun and challenging project! I was asked just to model it, print it, and spray it with filler primer. I haven't seen the final paint job yet. I'm excited!
It was printed in 35 separate pieces, most of which interlocked for ease of alignment and attachment. The wooden dowel they're glued to is actually two dowels which detach from one another and are held together with a threaded insert so it can easily be taken apart for transport.

The 3D model I made:
FGqFg7V.jpg

The photos aren't the best which makes me kinda sad. They were hastily taken right before I had to give the staff away.
NIG5VcV.jpgxaSguLp.jpg3fh0d92.jpgViPdgxn.jpg

Last edited:
well her blaster if you wanted that is based on the same gun as han solo blaster which has one of the largest threads out there but all you need to know is it is a c96 mauser if you're interested because I noticed it.

-Jusitn

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back