Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Working on the pants and really don't like working with stretchy material.
Really hard to cut a staight line.

Good thing I looked up ironing rayon before I put tried adding a crease for the bottom edge.
Could have ended badly.

Also, I'm pretty sure her boots are 100% custom fabricated like everything else we are seeing here. It's the same style as Ugg boots (which are just a brand of sheepskin boots) but I doubt it's an actual Ugg boot, as I don't think LucasFilm's costume department would use such an incredibly popular/obvious accessory for the main character's costume. That said, it's similar enough to an Ugg where I agree that you can just buy a pair of them (or any sheepskin boot) and weather/age them to achieve a reasonable facsimile. :)

My wife has a pair of boots that look identical. I mean totally spot on. Even the pattern on the soles. The only tiny difference is that hers have a little green label saying Po-Zu. I'll try to get a photo.

Yes we've covered that already several pages back.
All of us have them on order (THE EXACT MODEL) and they are being made in Portugal at this very moment.

It's very nice that your wife already has them, it saves waiting, congratulations.

Ahh, I am not alone in trying to get a version ready for SDCC and stabbing themselves while attempting to sew leather... If you see another Rey that looks similar feel free to say hi! haha. I modded the knockoff Uggs that I posted about earlier in the thread. I didn't take any progress pics but this was the final result:

View attachment 498315

I basically removed all of the toggles and then ripped the seams out of one side of the boot so it was open on both sides. I cut the fur down a bit but I definitely need to take more. I eventually gave up on trying to sew through the leather and ended up using this really great instant tear mender to glue the fabric to the boots.

Also completed - Staff:

View attachment 498316

Again, a couple things I would've done differently with more time, but I'm really happy with it.

And the one shoulder bag as seen in some of the film stills.
View attachment 498317

I decided to do the shoulder bag because I was doing her more basic costume and I thought it would be a great bag to have for the Exhibit Hall

I also bought and altered the P37 signal satchel, altered those pants from Forever 21, etc. I lucked out on the shirt front because I already owned a long henley from Target that was perfect once I cut the sleeves off and switched the buttons out for twine. There were definitely some choices I would have made differently if I wasn't trying so hard to have it for Comic Con but I think I'll have time to improve on those in time for NYCC and also add the rest of the costume I didn't get to (gloves, leg wraps, goggles/head wrap). I'll say the one thing I'm most unhappy with for SDCC is the color of the wrap dress. The dye I used didn't turn out like expected (even after a swatch test dye!) and I'll definitely be trying to remedy that before New York.

Fo you have a list of parts for your staff?

And the staff is already out of stock.... figures. I found an image that shows that her sleeves (and probably neckline)is seperate from the longer tunic. Its on the side of the package for her speeder toy. If i can get it to upload from my phone, i will. My comp is packed in a box right now unfortunately.

Those are expected Sept 11th so they aren't out yet.

The costume is horrible.
Shirt is to short, front opening to short, sleeves wrong shape and finished off instead of raw edged.
Dress wrap only on the front (from the looks of it) and sewn into the top shoulder seam.
Pants missing the leg wraps.

Staff has possibilities if it's the correct size.
Could be used for parts and $25 is a deal.

On another note, I'm almost done modding the pants.
Just need to shorten the tie at the waist (adding velcro) then piece scraps together for the leg wrappings.
I added a tab and velcro inside the bottom cuff so it can make dressing and sizing around the leg easier.

I'll post some pix once it's done.

One of my buddies asked to use my Kylo for the Force Friday event so I decided to throw together a staff for myself. It's far from accurate but I spent 6$ on it. I went to home depot and I used the outdoor sprinkler aisle as my spring board to build it. Cheap as hell! http://imgur.com/WL1G02a

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Spend some hours today to turn two German military bags into the pouch... There are still some modifications to do and of course weathering, but although it is not 100% perfect I'm satisfied how it turned out.
uploadfromtaptalk1441472341496.jpg

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Hmmm... did you document the conversion process? It would be interesting to see what the donor bags were and how much modification you had to do to get it to this point.

Very nice result. :)

Didn't see any size listed on either site.
They do sell child and adult sizes for the costume.

I ordered one just to take a look at so we'll see in a few weeks.

Will this do?
Notice that the back side is curved.

View attachment 524320

Hello! Newbie here. Helping my girlfriend make her Rey costume and I'm stumped over these things, the 'clips' that hold the cord for the goggles. What are those called and where can I usually find them? I'm not from the US so I may not be familiar with the places you know that carries these, but maybe with your help I could figure out the closest possible place to get them. Thank you!

Hmmm... did you document the conversion process? It would be interesting to see what the donor bags were and how much modification you had to do to get it to this point.

Very nice result. :)
I didn't take that many pics, but here id what I did:
I ordered 2 little German Bundeswehr bags like this: http://www.outdoor-camping-shop24.de/BW-Kampftasche-klein-khaki-.html?adwords=true

uploadfromtaptalk1441651871092.jpg

I know they are some differences to the original, but it was easy to get. At first I removed all straps, laces and so on and cut the front and the back to make it smaller.
uploadfromtaptalk1441652253694.jpg
But I didn't cut the piece forming the bottom and the sides, but used it to connect the back and the front again. I just had to shorten it a little bit. I also cut the flap of the bag.
Then I cut the "bottom" of the second bag to use it as the flap of the bag.
uploadfromtaptalk1441652441172.jpg
After all the cutting I just had to sew everything together again. I used one strap on the front and put the to buckle-thingies originally used to attach the carrying strap on one side.
A good thing is that I can keep the straps on the back to attach the bag to the belt.
uploadfromtaptalk1441653705737.jpg
Before attaching the Alice clip I will dye and weather the bag a little bit darker.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

After many many many attempts, I have finally gotten my costume to dye an acceptable color! Here's what ended up working for me:

Dharma Ecru came out too pink, though my theory is that filtering the dye might have contributed to this, because the filter seemed to take out the green.

Dharma Safari Grey came out too green, even though I followed the instructions absolutely perfectly, down to the tenth of the gram.

But then I thought, if one is not green enough and the other is not pink enough, what happens if I mix the two? In a last-ditch effort, I overdyed my Safari Grey fabric with the Ecru dye, following the instructions perfectly except for the filtering. And AT LONG LAST, the costume is an acceptable if not fantastic color.

So what would I recommend if you're trying to dye white fabric from scratch?

1. Buy both Ecru and Safari Grey (they're only a few dollars each) + the Soda Ash fixer + some Dharma Dye Remover in case it doesn't come out right (it's a miracle potion and so much more effective than bleach).

2. WEIGH YOUR FABRIC and measure the dye in accordance with this chart: http://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/fiber-reactive-dye-yields-estimator-tool.html

3a. If you want to do exactly what I did, follow the instructions to dye with Safari Grey, then overdye with Ecru, without filtering either.

3b. If you want to do what I might try next time, use Ecru first by itself and see if that works, and if not, then overdye with Safari Grey.

3c. If you want to take a shortcut, try using the recommended number of grams of dye, but use half Ecru and half Safari Grey in the same batch.

Other than filtering, follow the instructions PERFECTLY:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/techni...t-dye-method.html?lnav=techniques_tubdye.html

I hope this is helpful! Here's the rest of my costume "recipe" so far:

https://www.pinterest.com/ladylexy/becoming-rey-from-the-force-awakens/

FullSizeRender 60.jpg

First off welcome.

At this point I don't think the exact items have been identified.

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Oh, and that's unfortunate. Though westarsmith a couple of pages back had some that looked quite similar. The light brown "clips" on the sides of the goggles (the ones where the range finder is connected to), what are those called?

Ditto.
Working on this for my granddaughter.
This thread is great. Here's my progress. Not attempting to be 100%, she's only 6
WestarsmithView attachment 497481

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back