Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

First, TzviaAriella, for three days I thought you meant coffee dye and then realized no, you did not. XD I did end up settling on a different combo of dyes just because my dye tests with the safari grey were picking up a lot of purple tones, unless you mean that there's a safari grey in the acid dyes? It was a lovely color but not the one you had. I was testing with Dharma Fiber Reactive Safari Grey dye and silk crepe de chine. I did a dumb and ordered the non-stonewashed, but by the time I'm done with them they'll look about the same.

I can understand the confusion! But yeah, I just meant plain old coffee, not coffee-colored dye. I used the Safari Gray fiber reactive dye and didn't have any purple tones (some green, but the coffee staining neutralized that), so I don't know whether it was a difference in the batch or what.

In other news, I took my (not quite completed, but shhh) Rey cosplay to No Brand Con and won Best Performance in the cosplay contest! The cosplay judges were really, really familiar with the details of Rey's costume, and I had a blast chatting with them about how I dyed my fabric and made my boots. If anyone's interested, my performance is up on YouTube here -- it's a Rey-themed parody of "All About That Bass." :D

For those who have ordered the Po Zu boots, a couple of questions for you.

1. I see that most of the sizes are currently sold out. I'm sure someone else experienced this in the past, so I was wondering how long you had to wait before they were in stock again?

2. I have wide feet and tend to have to buy wide shoes. From the measurements given on the site, it looks like I shouldn't have a problem with width, though. Any Rey's with wide feet able to comment on this?

Thank you!

Last edited:
For those who have ordered the Po Zu boots, a couple of questions for you.

1. I see that most of the sizes are currently sold out. I'm sure someone else experienced this in the past, so I was wondering how long you had to wait before they were in stock again?

2. I have wide feet and tend to have to buy wide shoes. From the measurements given on the site, it looks like I shouldn't have a problem with width, though. Any Rey's with wide feet able to comment on this?

Thank you!
I'm waiting for them to be in stock again, too. I emailed them last Monday and they said they were expecting more stock this past week, but I haven't seen them made available yet :/

Depends on your height I suppose.

I used two 3 foot sections of dowel... so 6 feet there plus the end caps add about an inch and a half or so each, so say another 3 inches.

So mine is 6'3" total.

Thanks Redwillow!

On the boots--I ordered them right after the wonderful people here convinced Po-Zu to stock them again. I got an email saying that the boots were out of stock and it took about two months to get mine (ordered in early January, got them at the end of February). They were very good with communicating and even offered me free shipping because of the delay. It might be different now because when I ordered them, it sounded like they had to start actually manufacturing them again. They may have production set up already, so I'd probably send them an email.

So I'm working on my new pants and noticed something that might solve the slipping issues on the cuff wraps. I made my pants out of china silk/crepe de chine. (It's pretty flimsy and I had to use to layers, but the texture is wonderful.) The fabric has a texture to it; it's not slick like say satin or rayon, so when I tied it and went down to mid-calf with the criss-crossing, it stayed. (Now this worked as long as I kept it at mid calf. It succumbs to gravity lower down my leg.) So perhaps the slipping issue is due to the texture of the fabric? Maybe silicon wouldn't be a bad idea like how people are using it for the arm wraps?

For those inquiring about the Po-zu boots: I purchased the boots in the houndstooth print because I made a last minute decision to cosplay Rey for Awesome-con, and they sent me an e-mail stating: "any orders placed between Wednesday 27th April – Friday 6th May will be dispatched the week commencing Monday 9th May."

I know someone had mentioned a possible re-stock to have happened by now, but it seems they are on holiday.

Just heard back from Po-Zu, they're in the process of relocating to a new warehouse I guess, so they'll have more boots available by the end of next week hopefully. I'll still be ordering them, but there's pretty much no way I'll be able to get them in time for Acen now :/ I'll have to find a decent fabric to do boot covers in the meantime.

Hi Kristenhenry70, your backpacks are fabulous.:) Just starting on the one for my daughter, would it be possible for you to do a photo of the back of the pack so that I can see how the straps are fixed, this would be a great help. Many thanks.

Just heard back from Po-Zu, they're in the process of relocating to a new warehouse I guess, so they'll have more boots available by the end of next week hopefully. I'll still be ordering them, but there's pretty much no way I'll be able to get them in time for Acen now :/ I'll have to find a decent fabric to do boot covers in the meantime.

I'm sorry that you won't get them in time for your convention. That's always a disappointment when stuff like that happens. :\ But I appreciate you sharing your response from Po-Zu! I emailed them yesterday morning but hadn't received a response just yet, so that helps me quite a bit. Thank you!

[edit] Actually, I did hear back from them yesterday. Holy cow, their communcation is amazing. Looks like my email server just decided to plop their response in "spam". I'm already impressed by the quick response. Nice.

Last edited:
Hi Kristenhenry70, your backpacks are fabulous.:) Just starting on the one for my daughter, would it be possible for you to do a photo of the back of the pack so that I can see how the straps are fixed, this would be a great help. Many thanks.

I have this photo of one of the strap attachments in my reference folder of pack photos, it shows how the straps are attached at the bottom. My apologies for not crediting the photographer, I misplaced the info.

back_strap.png

I'm could use info on you did that too, i'm getting close to starting on the backpack and I finally found that mat at dollar general. Also got those gloves pretty much done, will try to put up some pics soon.

WHUUUUUT?!??!! An excuse to show off my work?? :lol

Here you go:

13090441_10208874574597978_606435851_n.jpg13140852_10208874574397973_1891383401_n.jpg13141012_10208874574837984_1641485864_n.jpg13153225_10208874571997913_468185412_n.jpg13162204_10208874572917936_1667560301_n.jpg13182968_10208874573797958_2070253418_n.jpg13183233_10208874573997963_725164775_n.jpg

I still have some weathering to do. i did some last night, but it isn't quite there yet. I only have about 1-1/2 weeks before the next con though...so I've got to get cracking!

If you need any closeups of other places just let me know. :thumbsup

Now looking at it again I'm wondering if my amazon bag didn't look better...it was certainly more broken in. it will take years for this leather to get that broken in :facepalm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back