Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I don't really have the time or skills to make costumes myself so I ended up taking a punt on the complete scavenger Rey costume from skycostume. Not sure if it has been mentioned in this forum prior so I though I would include a couple of pics of the costume for anyone wanting to take a shortcut.

All leather work on the costume is very basic and is made of plather material. I have purchased leather and will make my own belt and wrist guard. The arm bands do not look accurate at all and will need to be replaced which I have already done in the picture. The headscarf and backpack are far from being accurate and are pretty sub-standard quality. However, the pants, shirt and body wrap are actually fantastic!!! Out of the box the body wrap is too light in colour and the pants are an incorrect light blue. In the pictures below I have already begun to tea dye the fabric to get it more accurate. I still have a long way to go before it is all the right colour and the weathering is done but it gives anyone interested a fair idea. The signal satchel is also pretty sub-standard if you are after accuracy. The whole costume was $160 delivered but with a bit of work it is actually surprisingly good. Hope this helps anyone who has been looking at this costume.

EDIT: Sorry....I have no idea why the pics are sideways. They look the right way up in my computer.

Attachments

• IMG_4405.JPG
    IMG_4405.JPG
    889.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4406.JPG
    IMG_4406.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 161
small update on the bandage situation:

the list has grown well over 50 pieces now. my contact in UK has agreed to deliver 34 of them in exchange for the Rey belt that i've made for her. After that she is willing to send more directly to whomever, but they would need to pay her.

so i will only be able to offer 34 bandages for free as agreed. I'll need to go back through both the thread and my PMs to see what order everyone spoke up in. It's the only fair way that i can think of to do this. :wacko

okie... so I've sifted through everything (PMs as well as posts here on the thread) and I've categoirized everyone based on when they first asked to receive bandages.

here's the ordered list:

USAJDM 3/21/16 PM QTY:2
FETT4REAL 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
BRINSTAR 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
GALACTICAT 3/23/16 PM QTY:4
PRIMALSTORM 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
COSPLAYARCHER 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
PAPERSFLOWER 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
KELLIWISE 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
JJGRIFFIN 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
AKITZMAN 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
SINRIDER 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
DLARIANFERREL 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
S4FFRON 3/24/16 PM QTY:3
IGGY 3/24/16 PM QTY:2
JACKWABBIT 3/24/16 POST QTY:2
JULIETROSE 3/24/16 POST QTY:2

****CUT OFF POINT****

REDWILLOW 3/24/16 POST QTY:3
R2DEETOO 3/25/16 PM QTY:3
JON8712 3/25/16 PM QTY:3
GOLDHAWK 3/26/16 PM QTY:2
JJ9437 3/28/16 POST QTY:2

After Julietrose we are at 34 pieces, so i'm going to have to cut it off there, I'm afraid. Very sorry to those below that, but i tried to be as fair as i knew how, going in the order requests were made.

I do have a few other ideas. i'd posted a link to some others on ebay you might get, and also my contact said that she is happy to continue getting more...but you would need to pay her.

Last edited by a moderator:
For everyone else in need of the bandages, I still am trying to make contact with Boot US.
The communication has not been encouraging, but I will continue to persue this for everyone that didn't get a set.

Wetting dyed leather will work just fine.. :)

Of course you can lay it out like the drawing, but having done that the first time and then having done it the other way the second, it is not only much easier to do it as a straight piece and bend, but it is also much more conservative with your valuable leather.

What I would do is cut it out like his drawing from paper instead of your leather--and don't worry about the end details. that way you can check your lengths and see what you will need.

The "lower" portion will be the longest, so once you know what that has to be, cut a 3" strip that length. then you can draw out the "bottom" portion on your leather, and then draw out the "upper" portion right above it, making it the length that you need it to be. then do your cutting and wet/bend the lower part into place.

Really either way that you want to do it is fine in the end. I just found the wet/bend method easier.

If you do decide to wet/bend, it's helpful to use your hole punch and punch a hole into the leather where each of the slits will end in the center. that way you won't just have a slash end in the leather--which can tear over time. instead you'll have those slits ending in a round hole, which will resist tearing.

Once I knew how long my "bottom portion" was to be, I measured in from each end the right amount so that I would have my "middle portion", and I punched a hole there, so I had two holes in the leather, about 5-1/2 to 6" apart from one another, and 1-3/4" from the bottom of the leather. Then I split the leather from each of those holes outward toward the end of my leather strip, forming the "two halves" if that makes sense.

I could have just cut it, but like I was saying, the round little hole resists tearing better.

I ending up cutting it out to the pattern. I can use the extra small pieces to make the end parts that go back through the loops since my piece of leather was not quite long enough. Thanks for the tip on punching the round holes so it won't rip!

I spent all my free time last week working on my Rey Costume 2 for Wondercon. I finished the belt enough to wear it, but still need to tweek it. I got the right rectangular D rings and have to replace the silver D rings that I have on there, extend the ends and work on weathering it.

If anyone is looking for the rings, these look weathered and old when you receive them.

Vintaj Natural Brass Rectangle Jump Rings 23mm x 12mm (2)
by Vintaj

http://amzn.com/B00262TUUG

For everyone else in need of the bandages, I still am trying to make contact with Boot US.
The communication has not been encouraging, but I will continue to persue this for everyone that didn't get a set.

I'm looking to get 4 rolls (assuming it's dyeable so I can use it for her vest costume) of the cotton arm wrap bandages, too, if another source is found.

I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of this community with you all...working on our Reys together.

but id like to take a moment to pause and remember who brought us all together into this beautiful and crazy thing:

TheLadyNerd. our thread momma.

were it not for her, I doubt if this cohesive entity would bear any semblence to what it has become.

we love you, thread momma. :love

I have thoroughly enjoyed being part of this community with you all...working on our Reys together.

but id like to take a moment to pause and remember who brought us all together into this beautiful and crazy thing:

were it not for her, I doubt if this cohesive entity would bear any semblence to what it has become.

Here here.
:cheers Cheers to TheLadyNerd!

Thank you TheLadyNerd for starting this thread.

Finally, got the visual dictionary for the Force Awakens. Now, I can ensure I have the right coloring for my outfit (once I ever have time to dye). :D

okie... so I've sifted through everything (PMs as well as posts here on the thread) and I've categoirized everyone based on when they first asked to receive bandages.

here's the ordered list:

USAJDM 3/21/16 PM QTY:2
FETT4REAL 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
BRINSTAR 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
GALACTICAT 3/23/16 PM QTY:4
PRIMALSTORM 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
COSPLAYARCHER 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
PAPERSFLOWER 3/23/16 PM QTY:2
KELLIWISE 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
JJGRIFFIN 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
AKITZMAN 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
SINRIDER 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
DLARIANFERREL 3/23/16 POST QTY:2
S4FFRON 3/24/16 PM QTY:3
IGGY 3/24/16 PM QTY:2
JACKWABBIT 3/24/16 POST QTY:2
JULIETROSE 3/24/16 POST QTY:2

****CUT OFF POINT****

REDWILLOW 3/24/16 POST QTY:3
R2DEETOO 3/25/16 PM QTY:3
JON8712 3/25/16 PM QTY:3
GOLDHAWK 3/26/16 PM QTY:2
JJ9437 3/28/16 POST QTY:2

After Julietrose we are at 34 pieces, so i'm going to have to cut it off there, I'm afraid. Very sorry to those below that, but i tried to be as fair as i knew how, going in the order requests were made.

I do have a few other ideas. i'd posted a link to some others on ebay you might get, and also my contact said that she is happy to continue getting more...but you would need to pay her.

Just wondering when you would want our addresses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kristen! What have I told you about making me blush?! :$

Seriously though, thank you for this. As we talked about yesterday, we all have our roles in the cosplay community. I may not have the best costumes, the most cosplays, or a ton of followers, but I love building cosplay communities, encouraging new and discouraged cosplayers, and generally being a Thread Momma. ^_^

Update on my costume:
- Ordered headwrap fabric
- Ordered gloves
- Currently playing the wait game with the folks I had commissioned to help make my costume (as I am utterly terrible at sewing and prop making. But I make a very a good assistant) as alas, some unfortunate issues have occurred and I'm on the backburner. So no Rey for me anytime soon. :/ But more time to gather pieces, research, and plan an epic photoshoot. So I shall keep my chin up!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back