Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Some good news for me....

I submitted my Rey Full Scavenger for Rebel Legion approval, and was accepted at the "Formal" level:

The only suggestion that they gave (and it wasn't a requirement for acceptance... only a suggestion) was that they felt my belt was too wide.

[...]

I had been thinking this anyway before they mentioned it, so no problem... time to make another...
On the old belt, the "small" belt was 1-3/4" wide, and the "large" belt was 2-1/4" wide, for a total of 4". I had felt that because I am not an Elven Wisp like Daisey Ridley that I would need a wider belt in order for it to not look out of scale on my body.

This was exactly what I thought, when I saw photos of the belt on you, Kristen. I was thinking "Wow, Kristen even is taking body measurements into account to make her incredible work as propotional perfect as possible!" Good thinking in the first place, indeed. But seeing the photo of your second belt, I must admit that I would prefer the latter, also.

Speaking about proportions... As you have changed to the smaller belt, now, did you consider to shorten the hem of your head wrap, also? It's just an idea, because on your photos it looks to me as if the hem goes further down over your bust that in every photo I saw of Daisy Ridley in her costume.

Please note that this is not meant to criticize your great work. I the contrary. I just would like you to get the best possible result at the RL. You are such a good help for us, here, and you deserve it.

Last edited:
did you consider to shorten the hem of your head wrap, also?

actually that was by design... I have WAY more going on bust-wise than Spritely Daisey... far too much for my liking. So I've found that having the headwrap longer covers them up, and helps me to at least feel a bit more secure.
That is actually the reason why for months I struggled with myself about whether or not to even do a Rey costume... when you have the curse of a bustline like mine, and try to pile pleated or gathered fabric wraps on top of them in a fashion like Rey's, it only accentuates what i already wish i could somehow hide. So the longer head wrap hem was a way for me to ensure I'd stay covered and be able to feel comfortable while trooping.

That is actually the reason why for months I struggled with myself about whether or not to even do a Rey costume...

But we are nevertheless glad you did!!
And considering your concerns, you have made a good choice with that longer hem.

And even if it will be of small consolation, I do have an issue the other way round, for I am 4inch smaller than Daisy. Whe I had finished my arm wraps for example, I was wondering why they looked so disproportionate in comparison with the original.

But who cares? We all have different body measurements. This is how nature works. And nature is always perfect! :)

actually that was by design... I have WAY more going on bust-wise than Spritely Daisey... far too much for my liking. So I've found that having the headwrap longer covers them up, and helps me to at least feel a bit more secure.
That is actually the reason why for months I struggled with myself about whether or not to even do a Rey costume... when you have the curse of a bustline like mine, and try to pile pleated or gathered fabric wraps on top of them in a fashion like Rey's, it only accentuates what i already wish i could somehow hide. So the longer head wrap hem was a way for me to ensure I'd stay covered and be able to feel comfortable while trooping.

But we are nevertheless glad you did!!
And considering your concerns, you have made a good choice with that longer hem.

And even if it will be of small consolation, I do have an issue the other way round, for I am 4inch smaller than Daisy. Whe I had finished my arm wraps for example, I was wondering why they looked so disproportionate in comparison with the original.

But who cares? We all have different body measurements. This is how nature works. And nature is always perfect! :)

Not to stray off topic and not to sound to cliché, please don't ever feel setback or discouraged to go forth based on your physical appearance.
Sunsets are beautiful, roses are beautiful, kittens are beautiful, Rolls Royce are beautiful.
Hopefully your getting my point.
There is no "one" beautiful or "right" for that matter.

And Kristen.... really, you considered not doing this costume?
That would have been a crime.

Now back on topic....
I spent a few hours today attempting to make some bubble lenses.
Pretty happy how they turned out.
I used my TK helmet as the stencil.
Now by no means are these perfect and definitely not ready for a TK helmet, but I figured it should work pretty well for what we are doing.
Besides, Rey's goggles were pretty beat up, so I don't think the flaws take away from anything.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Quick question, Rey's sleeveless t-shirt does it end right with at the groin or do it continue a few inches.
The same question with her pants, does they end just after covering the knees or do they continue past them a few inches?

the 2nd shirt is not bad, the neck opening isn't quite right, but it's in the ballpark. I'd go with that one.

the pleats on the front of those pants is an issue, but they might end up covered by the shirt and wrap. Obviously they would have to be modified at the bottom.

Found some pants that may work at forever21 today...we went and the wife and I searched high and low. These are what we found.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457897055.479490.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have now about 3 week to make my Rey and last night and today i have made the t-shirt and headwrap, Been cutting out the pants pattern and gonna sew them together after work tonight. Not gonna be 100% movie accurate but people is going to see who it suppost to be.

Now back on topic....
I spent a few hours today attempting to make some bubble lenses.
Pretty happy how they turned out.
I used my TK helmet as the stencil.
Now by no means are these perfect and definitely not ready for a TK helmet, but I figured it should work pretty well for what we are doing.
Besides, Rey's goggles were pretty beat up, so I don't think the flaws take away from anything.
View attachment 602843View attachment 602842View attachment 602841
They look great ! I'm interest to buy it too, If you are selling some of course. I live in Europe (France) and it's impossible to find this lenses whitout spending almost 50$. I'm ready to pay the shipping cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying my first silicone mold, very excited to see how it will come out. I am going to attempt to cast some "greeblies" for the backpack for my daughter's Rey cosplay.

25490614990_0b70b9692c_n.jpg

It came out well. 3D printed part on the left, resin cast part on the right.

25345910343_d76e68efa5_n.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so I have been following this thread for a really long time and you guys are all so amazing and this is one of the best build threads and mini-communities I've found on here!
I was nervous to post my progress pics but I am getting really excited about where I am at with the costume so here it goes!
I still have to do the sleeves, attach the signals bag to the belt, paint the blaster, and style the wig but I feel like I can relax a bit now that the patterning, dyeing, and sewing is done. I definitely found the dyeing part to be the most challenging. There are many (MANY) stray dye tests still scattered about my work area. I made everything from scratch (except for the signals bag and Po-Zu boots of course) and this was a very good learning experience for me. This costume seems so simple at first but man, are there a lot of parts that my obsessive nature wants to get right! :) These pics are the best quality but you get the idea!
AHSz1er.jpgh2IwQEs.jpgbmBOM6R.jpg2cc5bsC.jpg

Attachments

• 20160313_171856.jpg
    20160313_171856.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • 20160312_205444.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 20160312_203942.jpg
    20160312_203942.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 77
  • 20160228_205410.jpg
    20160228_205410.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 77
Finished the pants and attached the threads going down the legs. Gonna go over everything when it i have made all the pieces, reinforce the stitches and trim them a little bit. The head wrap-shirt needs to be shorter and have thinner "arms"
Not bad for a 3 days work.
With the mask,gloves and armwraps the only thing that is going to show that im not a girl is my hairy legs :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back