Popular RPF Pulse Posts:

25 Star Wars Gifts That Live Up to the Hype
10 Memorable Marvel T-Shirts That Make a Lasting Impression
Check Out These Incredible Fan Created Movie Posters!
Our Top Picks for the Must Buy Games of 2015
Page 1 of 109 1234561151 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 16, 2015, 6:04 PM - Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #1

As the new trailer for the Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuted debuted today, my Facebook feed (mine included) has been a-buzz with images and talk of people wanting to cosplay Rey. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a VERY popular costume. So, in following the massive Tron Legacy and my Tomb Raider 2013 thread, this is not just a personal build thread but open to everyone! Post all the images and information you can find so this can be the one stop shop for all Rey cosplayers to get their costume/prop information, ask questions, and show off their Rey costumes! Tally ho!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

Current Materials List

Hair
    Material: Buns are wrapped in brown wool

Headwrap
    Material: Hand-woven natural fabric 55”
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...c-55-inch.html
    Amount: 6 yards
    Goggle base: Vaccum Formed TK faceplate
    Lenses: Green acrylic stormtrooper lenses
    Add. Materials: Grey wool Army blanket, white pigskin leather, Alice clips

Undershirt
    Colour
    : Off-white
    Material: Hemp-jersey cotton
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...av=fabric.html
    Amount: 3-5 yards

Wrap Dress
    Colour
    : Taupe
    Material: Viscose (officially). Best match found thus far is a Crinkle Viscose
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRINKLE-VISC.../141904622207?
    Amount: 3-4 meters

Arm Wraps
    Colour: Distressed Beige
    Material: Cotton Bubble
    - Look for cotton crepe medical gauze

Cuff
    Material: Leather
    Seller - https://www.etsy.com/listing/2613353...her-wrist-cuff
    Diagram (should you wish to do it yourself)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reys bracer pattern.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	594546

Belt
    Colour
    : Brown
    Material: Top grain Leather, Brass Circle, twine
    Diagram

Name:	BnCt0y9.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	594547

Pants
    Colour: Greyish-tan
    Material: Still debating (but it’s type of silk). So far, many have taken pre-existing pants (like the Forever 21 palazzo pants) and modified them

Boots
    Po-Zu Piper IV Brown (screen accurate) - http://po-zu.com/collections/womens/...r-v-dark-brown

Satchel
    British M37 Signals Satchel
    (must be cut down to be screen accurate)

Staff
    Custom 3D Print

Makeup
    (Actual makeup used in the film)
    - Tom Ford Traceless Foundation (sheer and a little glowy)
    - A few freckles were flicked on top with brown cream pigment
    - By Terry Brightening CC Lumi-Serum in Sunny Flash on her cheeks (very sheer for sun-kissed look and contour)
    - Tap brown MAC and Skin Illustrator pigments all over skin (for dirt. They also used sterilized sand as well, not sure of an alternative for that)
    - Bobbi Brown dark brown eyeliner (smudged)
    - Taupe eye shadow (only in the crease)
    - Kanebo Sensai 38C mascara (apply only at root)
    Last edited by TheLadyNerd; Feb 21, 2016 at 9:34 AM.
  2. pew pew RPF Premium Member Kevin Gossett's Avatar
    From
    North Texas
    Apr 16, 2015, 6:32 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #2

From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Apr 16, 2015, 7:11 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #3

I just want to know if that is a lightsaber staff. Similar to the Shadow Guards in TFU: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor%27s_Shadow_Guard The closeup of the end did look like a lightsaber.
    From
    Grapevine, TX
    Apr 16, 2015, 7:32 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #4

I know this is a bit of a derail, but Rey's concept art looks a lot like the young Han concept art

From
    Scotland
    Apr 16, 2015, 7:41 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #5

got some for you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rey.jpg 
Views:	2133 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	465451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rey2.jpg 
Views:	2055 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	465452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ray3.jpg 
Views:	2168 
Size:	950.8 KB 
ID:	465453  

Name:	rey4.jpg 
Views:	1732 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	465454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ray5.jpg 
Views:	1821 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	465455  
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 16, 2015, 7:54 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #6

The photos out of Celebration from iO9 are SO HELPFUL! I'm going to suss out the fabrics (going to try to get a build done in time for the premiere), so will report back! But I reckon based on the photos x the way the fabric moves in the trailer, the cross-body draped stuff is either a very fine cotton muslin, or potentially a really trashed silk chiffon. Probably the former though, since it's harder wearing.
    Apr 16, 2015, 9:14 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #7

Name:	Screen_Shot_2015-04-16_at_1.38.59_PM.0.png 
Views:	1290 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	465482mvanwalks421 - It's certainly and apt comparison (especially since in the concept art of Rey behind the costume (photo), she looks to be sporting a Han-style blaster.

Zorg - GREAT pictures! It's great to see some high-res stuff of her costume already up! I'm really curious about that fabric....(well, obviously there's multiple pieces, thus multiple fabrics in play, but hmm....wondering if the gauze-like fabric is linen strips or perhaps bubble cotton?

Clembot - Good luck on your build! I have no idea when I'm going to do mine. I definitely want to do it right (aka ALL THE REFERNCE!), but I'm leaning towards Dragoncon due to some injuries I have from a car accident last year. This costume looks breathable (aka good for hot Atlanta weather), functional (easy to move in, not restrictive of any of my injured spots), and a staff that I might be able to double for a walking staff around the con floor.

Name:	11152691_10153778962193662_3708002077531525726_n.jpg 
Views:	1652 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	465471
    Last edited by TheLadyNerd; Apr 16, 2015 at 9:36 PM.
    Apr 16, 2015, 9:18 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #8

Some kind folks at Celebration are apparently hard at work getting pictures up for us. Just found this one of a placard describing the materials that Rey's costume is made out of.

Name:	11169478_10206185044402401_873939139926890146_n.jpg 
Views:	2247 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	465472

MATERIALS:

Wrap dress
    - viscose
    Head wrap - cotton
    Top - hemp and cotton jersey
    Trousers - silk
    Backpack - leather
    Wrist cuff and belt - leather
    Pouch - canvas
    Arm wraps - cotton
    Gloves - leather
    Boots - wool and leather
    Staff - 3D print

Also a closeup of the concept art of Rey. Definitely very Han Solo-ish.

Name:	11150154_10152750329974071_5646649808119956938_n.jpg 
Views:	1256 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	465473
  9. RPF Premium Member Anakin Starkiller's Avatar
    From
    Rochester, NY
    Apr 16, 2015, 9:57 PM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #9

Her goggles look like they were made from classic storm-trooper hero lenses
  10. Nothing but the rain.... RPF Premium Member Pete SSS's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Apr 17, 2015, 3:09 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #10

The end of her staff looks a lot like a Darth Maul saber emitter to me.
    From
    Düsseldorf - Germany
    Apr 17, 2015, 4:09 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #11

The boots look like a very weathered type of the UGG boots

Name:	australian-ugg-boots-1.gif 
Views:	285 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	465564

Not similar to the UGG like Nomad Scavenger boots but UGG like
    Does anybody sees the similarity?

Name:	20150417-exhibition-desert-nomad-03-bg.jpg 
Views:	701 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	465563
  12. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 17, 2015, 5:26 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #12

Definetly, they look to be the base, but pretty sure they modified them:

Name:	UGG-Australia-Bailey-Button-Sand-Ankle-Boot-1.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	465573

Luke the Belter said: View Post
    The boots look like a very weathered type of the UGG boots
    From
    Düsseldorf - Germany
    Apr 17, 2015, 5:43 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #13

KaanE said: View Post
    Definetly, they look to be the base, but pretty sure they modified them:

Name:	UGG-Australia-Bailey-Button-Sand-Ankle-Boot-1.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	465573
    I suppose so

I think if you find the right model (right knitting pattern), you could weather the wool with acetic acid/vinnegar to get this look.
    Last edited by Luke the Belter; Apr 17, 2015 at 6:01 AM.
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 17, 2015, 5:47 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #14

I do not think you could find them. They look to be production modified, not a buy-n-go boots.
    Apr 17, 2015, 6:11 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #15

I was thinking that people might be jumping on this as soon as I saw the pictures from the live stream yesterday, so definetly right place to come! :3
    And so many awesome pictures already!!
    And of course the fabric list, that's gonna be handy.
    I'm thinking of making it myself in the near future, so this will be fun!

So the color of the cloth is beige/sand/grey ish. Would it be best to achieve that through colouring white cloth or?
  16. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Spain
    Apr 17, 2015, 6:15 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #16

I think everything is a natural colour, not white, and weathered. You can see the white contrast with the mannequin. So... natural colour plus weathering is my best choice,
    Apr 17, 2015, 7:05 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #17

Yeah you're right. Well...I will sit down and order in fabrics to see what will fit. Hoping to get it as accurate as possible.
    Would like to see more of the hairstyle that she has too, only two pictures so far showing it off vaguely
    Apr 17, 2015, 7:55 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #18

That's very nice of them to list all the fabric types for you!
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 17, 2015, 8:14 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #19

TheLadyNerd said: View Post
    Some kind folks at Celebration are apparently hard at work getting pictures up for us. Just found this one of a placard describing the materials that Rey's costume is made out of.

Name:	11169478_10206185044402401_873939139926890146_n.jpg 
Views:	2247 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	465472

MATERIALS:

Wrap dress
    - viscose
    Head wrap - cotton
    Top - hemp and cotton jersey
    Trousers - silk
    Backpack - leather
    Wrist cuff and belt - leather
    Pouch - canvas
    Arm wraps - cotton
    Gloves - leather
    Boots - wool and leather
    Staff - 3D print
    Oh that is FANTASTIC news! Viscose, duh Clem!! *smacks self on forehead*
    From
    Melbourne/Los Angeles
    Apr 17, 2015, 8:19 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #20

Anakin Starkiller said: View Post
    Her goggles look like they were made from classic storm-trooper hero lenses
    Yes I believe they are! There's a better look at them "unwrapped" in the first teaser:

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 11.16.40 pm.png 
Views:	904 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	465593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 11.16.26 pm.png 
Views:	858 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	465594
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Apr 17, 2015, 8:38 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #21

Luckily Dharma Trading is the go-to for all things SW and Jedi fabrics! They have all of her fabrics:

Hemp/jersey: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...c_location=ufi

Viscose: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...c_location=ufi

Full cotton section: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...c_location=ufi

Full silk section...and their raw silk is cheap and amazing! Possibly what her pants are?: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/...k-fabrics.html
    From
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Apr 17, 2015, 8:41 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #22

Oh yes! I'm so happy this thread exists. I've been eyeing Rey since I saw the first trailer. I may have to drop another cosplay to do hers, but I'm all for that. This outfit looks like it'll work perfectly for Dragon Con's weather so I may do it for that.
    Apr 17, 2015, 10:30 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #23

Hair - I'm curious too. Even closeups of her, show only the front of her face, so it's nigh impossible to see what's going on in the back. So here's to hoping they'll be nice enough to release more images of Rey for us. (I mean, hey, they already provided a handy fabric list with the costume exhibit! So there's hope!)

Fabric - Thank you Nadine for the amazing links to Dharma! I always get nervous with fabric hunting online as I'm still fairly uneducated past the basics (vs. being able to actually hold it and see it in hand at a store. I'll totally check out Fine Fabrics and Gail K. Fabrics up here in Atlanta, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're not going to have these.).

Though on note to the wrap dress, are there different kinds of viscose? I just did a quick search on the fabric, and it seems to lay like cotton, so I'm curious how best one would get the ripple-y sort of effect going on with dress. Perhaps it's just how the fabric lays? Or...? (I would just be worried about buying say, the Dharma viscose rayon/silk fabric and having it lay flat without the 'wrinkles' (forgive me, I'm lacking in proper terminology) the wrap dress has).

Boots I'm coming the same conclusion as well that her boots are some sort of modified UGG. Thankfully, there appears to be a lot of knock-off brands on Ebay. It'll just be a matter of finding the right shade/fabric. This'll be an adventure as I've never modified shoes before.

Staff - I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Apr 17, 2015, 10:36 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #24

Dharma is excellent at swatches! And I know a lot of people go to them for Jedi fabric. Definitely order your self a set of swatches to get a good feel. They are my go-to for any natural fabrics. And they all dye beautifully. They're who I went to for the handwoven cotton for Gandalf! It was a dead on match.
  25. RPF Premium Member JJ Griffin's Avatar
    From
    Richmond
    Apr 17, 2015, 10:38 AM - Re: Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!) #25

TheLadyNerd said: View Post
    I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).
    I can 100% guarantee you that staff was printed in multiple sections. While you can technically modify certain 3D printers (like a Delta) to have an "infinite" z-axis, even the $100,000 industrial printers would not be able to print something like that in one go. It's definitely multiple parts, and possibly able to be disassembled to make it easier to transport and less likely to be damaged when stored between use.

Also, I'm pretty sure her boots are 100% custom fabricated like everything else we are seeing here. It's the same style as Ugg boots (which are just a brand of sheepskin boots) but I doubt it's an actual Ugg boot, as I don't think LucasFilm's costume department would use such an incredibly popular/obvious accessory for the main character's costume. That said, it's similar enough to an Ugg where I agree that you can just buy a pair of them (or any sheepskin boot) and weather/age them to achieve a reasonable facsimile.