Anovos EP7 Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

Also curious as to what the screen-used armor was made of that made it so expensive! Unless they're injection molded and the cost comes from machining the mold.

Thanks. I was too lazy to find it, but I was pretty sure I wasn't crazy that I watched the interview where they talked price and release dates.

- - - Updated - - -

They are saying late third quarter to fourth quarter release, so I think it's entirely possible.

Yeah. I just wasn't sure if that meant that's when the preordering opened up or if that's when we could actually expect it at our doorstep.

From the interview:

Joe Salcedo from Anovos:

Standard Injected Helmet ~$200
Premium Fiberglass Helmet ~$7-800
Armor Kit ~$400
Armor Premium Version up to $2500

Dana Gasser: Available "near the end of the year, closer to when the movie comes out."

Humor the clueless here...what's the difference be between the two helmets? What does fb offer that injection doesn't.

Humor the clueless here...what's the difference be between the two helmets? What does fb offer that injection doesn't.

Injection is made faster and with less quality control than fiberglass. Fiberglass also has to be painted while injection molded white plastic doesn't. Fiberglass is more expensive than plastic, it takes lots of time to cure, and if it's handmade then even longer. Also, you have to finish the fiberglass cutting and sanding the edges while the injection moulded usually comes from the mould almost finished.

I would be very curious to see a multi angles shot of the helmet. In order to compare it with the screen used one.

I'm also curious to see (from a top view) if it's close to a clone trooper or a stormtrooper (the bottom view looks way more close to a clone helmet than an OT stormtrooper).

If a lucky guy who own one ANOVOS replica could do that ^^

I'm really falling in love with this design. Hopefully they'll do a kit for just as low of a price as the normal trooper. I'm liking anovos more and more.

From the interview:

Joe Salcedo from Anovos:

Armor Kit ~$400

Dana Gasser: Available "near the end of the year, closer to when the movie comes out."

Crap, I was afraid of this....Affordable prices.

The movie design has actually been growing on me since I originally saw it, but the one main complaint I have with the Anovos kit after the differences started getting pointed out is the boxes actually being a part of the ab plate. I can understand why that change was made from a savings point of view, but it is something I would like to see improved as a premium option. Which leads me to the question of whether someone can mix and match what premium options they want or if you have to be "all in"?

After seeing the trailers I always thought the TFA Stormies needed the old black vocorder on the chin (or something), not just empty white space that makes the helmet look like a duck

HI all, sorry about the delay in getting to these questions. Really good stuff here so let me dive in.

Big question is when do you estimate pre-orders will open to the general public and when do you imagine they will ship to customers?

Because of stipulation of selling, we won't be able to offer The Force Awakens merchandise to the general public until the end of the year, closer to the big movie release. What we did with the 501st was a unique marketing opportunity, where Anovos and the 501st got to represent the next face of the new era in Star Wars with a big bang! While it made my heart sad to turn so many people away from the TFA sales at the booth, it warmed up again to see such an amazing response to the work we all overcame to bring the new Stormtroopers to life in the convention.

The original Stormtropers were a blacksuit and various pieces clamped on with the abs/back hung with a suspender rig. Can you give a little insight on how this new suit goes together? Next question, what is the undersuit like (ribbed etc)? Were the gloves off the shelf or custom?

One of the big inspirations for this new suit was uniformity. One of the drawbacks of the old TK suit was that an observer could tell if the person in the armor was thick, thin, or amorphic. Thus, the solution was create a gasket system that actually attached to the armor rather than the person. This gasket gave the trooper thickness uniformity, while the production simply tried to choose those who fit in the 5'10 - 5'11" range for height. The results were staggeringly symmetric. Thus, to answer your question, you can still wear a lycra under suit underneath this suit, but the harnesses will be independent of it and attach directly to the armor.

Gloves : not found. In fact, they were manufactured for the movie. Another fact : Anovos has reached out to the same company and we are bringing those gloves to the public.

So many questions! I'll echo those wondering just how soon we'll be able to avail ourselves of this or any other version of TFA Stormies. I figure the Q4 projection is based on some sort of Disney and/or LFL not wanting any TFA Stormtroopers "crashing" premiere events? That is, trying to keep it to hired performers and 501st? I'd like to know the options breakdown -- whole thing only, helmet and armor able to be ordered separately, optional pieces that can be ordered separately so one could swap between, say, Stormie and Incinerator Trooper without needing two full suits, and so on like that.

I'm also curious if you can tell us what was used or the original suits that was so expensive, and whether you can recapture the detailing in vac-formed ABS (like the separate belt boxes on the movie suits versus the apparently molded-on boxes on the Anovos display suit). Will the latches be functional (indeed, were they functional or decorative on the movie suits, for that matter)? If not, how much work would an end-user have to put into making them functional?

Sorry if this is a lot, but I love these and can't wait for the opportunity to get started on one. :)

--Jonah

First question: for now we will be offering only kits and helmets of The Force Awakens armor. The nice thing is though, you will have some buy options to increase the value of your suit. When we do get to release this at the end of the year, you will have the choice of two helmets - our standard edition (~$200-250) or our Premier edition (~$700) . The difference between the two are really the materials. Standard edition will be injected plastic with mostly plastic parts and adjustable inner lining for proper fit. The Premier edition will feature fiberglass build but with metal detailing such as the aerator and mesh. As for the current kit we have, we are looking at multiple options for completion on it, but we haven't fully committed to which direction we will take. Just know though, you will have some options in the armor as well.

The originals suits used a flexible poly urethane. This has basically become the standard in hollywood for movie armor. The great thing about it is that the detail is extremely crisp because it originates out of a two part mold, injectable mold. But the problem is, it is very expensive with a high production failure rate. When I ran the numbers, to replicate this procedure would bring the price of the armor well into the $8,000 - $10,000 dollar range which, while cool and totally accurate, would not be feasible for our markets. The real magic was then converting this armor into Vacuform ABS. While admittedly, some of the detail is soft, if you look at the overall balance of accuracy vs pricing accessibility to the masses, you will see that vs a $10,000 dollar suit, this is not bad.

The latches were not functional. Trust me, we were disappointed to find this out too. I believe they had every intention of making them functional, but alas, it was not to be had. With that being said, should YOU make them functional, give us a jingle !

The biggest question I see thrown around right now is if the helmets/suits were scanned from original suits, why are there some pretty dramatic differences in the parts from the originals vs the ANOVOS castings? Some of the more obvious are shown in this photo. Screen suit on display on the left, ANOVOS on the right.

I get that some of the differences in the suit are due to vacuforming, but the helmet since it is resin/fiberglass should be able to copy the subtle nuances of the original fairly easily, especially with a 3D scan of the helmet.

View attachment 467227

This is a good question. From what we've observed, there were actually different sized helmets used in production. Also, as it turns out, the helmets we received directly from production did in fact vary with TWO other screen used helmets, which varied against themselves ! Therefore, what we did was use the one we received from production for our run which seemed to have the biggest size accommodation for the helmet.

The more I stare at the Anovos helm, the more differences pop out at me. It looks nice, but accurate, it ain't.

Unless they fix some of the glaring differences for actual production, I think I'll take a pass on this one.

Sorry to disappoint. As stated earlier, just like the variances in the original TK's, these helmets weren't immune as well. The helmet we used was provided by production.

We may also want to wait and see how some of the other TKs look in the movie. The screen used helmet on display may have been a "hero" version... we may find that some of the background or less prominent TKs have helmets with less refined details as well.

Still... for the speed at which Anovos came up with these I think they are damned good. Perfect...? maybe not. But damned good.

Thank you for that. Yup, 3.5 months for something that typically takes 11-12 months is quite accomplishment . I am still reeling from the effects of such a stressful period.

Do we know when the armour kits will be available and how much it will be?

The full kit, no. The helmets yes. End of the year and look at my earlier answer to the question.

Do you have any thoughts on how to improve the gaskets, Art? Perhaps the materials used or a different shape? Or do you think this is a necessary evil that troopers will just have to live with in the future?

the originals used a rubber that was thinner. But in the same token, it was extremely challenging for us to find a set that wasn't damaged or torn in some way. This lead us to the conclusion that the thickness used on set just didn't hold up over time. Therefore, the thickness we chose here at least would guarantee a longer half life, which we chose over comfort.

ABC interview with Anovos at celebration VII

Crazy huh ?

Is there any official word that a kit form will be offered for that price point? Don't tell me I have to buy an OT and a PT suit this year!!!!

Not yet, still working out the details, but we have time. Looking at the end of the year for the release of this

From the interview:

Joe Salcedo from Anovos:

Armor Kit ~$400

Helmets are more solid than the kits and built up. Again, working on it !

The movie design has actually been growing on me since I originally saw it, but the one main complaint I have with the Anovos kit after the differences started getting pointed out is the boxes actually being a part of the ab plate. I can understand why that change was made from a savings point of view, but it is something I would like to see improved as a premium option. Which leads me to the question of whether someone can mix and match what premium options they want or if you have to be "all in"?

There will be areas where you can choose to go premium or not. This way, you can control the level of accuracy you are trying to attain without going overboard on your expenditures.

After seeing the trailers I always thought the TFA Stormies needed the old black vocorder on the chin (or something), not just empty white space that makes the helmet look like a duck

You know, I thought the same thing for a few weeks, but after 5 months of staring at this thing, I can't imagine this helmet any different. You have to look at it, as it corresponds to the complete suit. It fits the whole suit, very well. The designer did a great job harmonizing the suit to the helmet, which I thought the original TK didn't do very well (curved lines vs straight harsh edges). This one works from head to toe though. After 5 months, will check back in with you ! lol

You know, I thought the same thing for a few weeks, but after 5 months of staring at this thing, I can't imagine this helmet any different. You have to look at it, as it corresponds to the complete suit. It fits the whole suit, very well. The designer did a great job harmonizing the suit to the helmet, which I thought the original TK didn't do very well (curved lines vs straight harsh edges). This one works from head to toe though. After 5 months, will check back in with you ! lol

Wow, all I can say is I am extremely excited and happy I bought in on a TK from you guys! between the last two posts I am extremely impressed by the company!

Any chance we'll have more lee-way with height on these TFA stormtroopers? Im a 6'2" meso, and am worried a bit about my TK armor proportions... Also, any tips on sizing the arming suit when your inseam and arm length are an XL or XXL but your waist and chest are L.

Thanks again Got Maul, you guys rock!

To be honest I'm not that easy to influence. :) I agree that the TFA armor and helmet are very cool, but the iconic OT armor will never be surpassed

Gloves : not found. In fact, they were manufactured for the movie. Another fact : Anovos has reached out to the same company and we are bringing those gloves to the public.

2 Fold question;

We're working on analyzing and breaking down the new Snowtrooper costume. We've made some progress and I identified the boots even that were used. We have pretty much determined that everything BUT the boots were completely custom fabricated.

Questions:

- Has Anovos looked at or has it been discussed looking into the new Snowtrooper?

- If so, more direct, do you know if the same company that made the TK gloves did the gloves for the snowtrooper? Right now, the gloves will be the most difficult to have replicated!

Thanks!

As far as I know, because we are talking to them too, the boots were also custom fabricated. I'd be very interested to see what you found.

Yes, Snowtrooper will also be done. It is just way too cool. I have to look closer at the snowtrooper glove but more than likely it was the same people.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back