TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

Howdy folks...

I have a limited run of left-hand thin trace TFA cards on hand, with my ROTS Anakin pattern on the other side. PM me if interested.

clampcard_rotsa_01.jpg

I have around 20 on hand, these are prototypes. Now that the card is known to be transparent, not sure if I will be able to replicate a transparent card.

Very cool. Probably more work than I'm willing to put in, but spurs some ideas. Would be near to design one's own circuit board.

I took the easy way out. Cut brushed silver vinyl applied to some scrap engraving stock. Kind of tough to weed the vinyl, but doesn't look too bad I guess.

3b5046246fa289da2d19f6d335bd22fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Probably not needed at this point but I snapped this pic of the board as the Target Rey display was thrown into the compactor the other day.
target rey display.jpg

Sorry about the giant pic.
I didn't realize the GS6 took that big of picture.

Probably not needed at this point but I snapped this pic of the board as the Target Rey display was thrown into the compactor the other day.
View attachment 619937

Well, I believe I have the most accurate TFA "layout" I can produce...

sloth_tfav2_prototype_ss_clamp.jpg

I had a few of these made up to test the pattern layout, and I think it's as good as I can make it. However, it does not have a transparent / translucent base, and they silver soldered the thin traces at the factory for some reason.

sloth_tfav2_prototype_ss.jpg

I'll be selling this short run of these on my page at www.slothfurnace.com if anyone is interested, I have about thirty on hand.

The other side of the card is blank, no traces. It allows a bit more light to bounce around in there, but it's not transparent. The gold plating on these are really nice, too.

View attachment 619937

The plastic card isn't transparent, but it's barely translucent. I don't know if translucent plastic sheet comes in grades of translucentness, it almost looks like clear plastic lightly sanded.

The plastic card isn't transparent, but it's barely translucent. I don't know if translucent plastic sheet comes in grades of translucentness, it almost looks like clear plastic lightly sanded.
In the video posted earlier in the thread about glass PCBs, the final result has a frosted look that is very close to what we've seen in the promo shots and whatnot. I think that would be a viable route for accuracy.

Hi guys,
does anyone know if the saber that Rey shows to Luke at the end of the movie has the milled down glass eye?
I'm working on my very first Graflex conversion and decided to go with the TFA version because I love the mixture of ANH and ESB quite a bit. However, I would rather not destroy a perfectly good vintage glass eye... I'm asking more out of curiosity. :D

Also, we assume that the clamp was covered with lasercut foil, right? Are we sure that the bottom of the Graflex was covered as well? I don't have the bluray at hand to take screenshots, unfortunately.

Sorry if those questions were answered already, this thread is a bit of a juggernaut. :)

The saber Rey gives Luke seems to be the main Hero, or Finn saber, so it would have the turned down eye.

It also does have a cover on the endcap as well.

Just curious what source material you all are referencing as proof of a plate covering the stamping on the base of the TFA Graflex, as I don't think I've seen it. Every time I've watched the film it's seemed there was just a heavy reflection on the base of the Graflex. Daisy would certainly have been lit on set, and a flat surface on the saber pointing toward the camera is going to reflect that light back and blow out the (super fine) stamping. Just a thought, though. Maybe somebody has some solid images that I missed?

Just curious what source material you all are referencing as proof of a plate covering the stamping on the base of the TFA Graflex, as I don't think I've seen it. Every time I've watched the film it's seemed there was just a heavy reflection on the base of the Graflex. Daisy would certainly have been lit on set, and a flat surface on the saber pointing toward the camera is going to reflect that light back and blow out the (super fine) stamping. Just a thought, though. Maybe somebody has some solid images that I missed?

Does this help?

Well, I believe I have the most accurate TFA "layout" I can produce...

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/Clampcard/sloth_tfav2_prototype_ss_clamp.jpg

I had a few of these made up to test the pattern layout, and I think it's as good as I can make it. However, it does not have a transparent / translucent base, and they silver soldered the thin traces at the factory for some reason.

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/Clampcard/sloth_tfav2_prototype_ss.jpg

I'll be selling this short run of these on my page at www.slothfurnace.com if anyone is interested, I have about thirty on hand.

The other side of the card is blank, no traces. It allows a bit more light to bounce around in there, but it's not transparent. The gold plating on these are really nice, too.

when ordering the card in the above picture i would want to order the listed under K: right?

attachment.php

not to sound rude, but this picture seals the deal for me. there is defiantly some kind of reflective material on the bottom of the tube, u can clearly see the reflection of the D-ring in it.

you would be surprised at how many movies today show the reflection of the camera.. car bumpers,hubcaps and chrome mirrors are notorious for this. i believe in Ant-Man the camera man can see his face in the reflection of the mirror. so this is still a problem over looked and not thought of today

my favorite camera reflection is back to the future 2, when Biff does his hole shot in the tunnel in his ford, you can clearly see 3 man and a camera in the reflection of the hub cap

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back