TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

I apologized if this has already been touched on. 68 pages was a lot to ready through to see if this was covered. I searched for pics of TFA graflex to make sure of the parts before putting one together. I came across these pics mixed in with a photo galley on various sites. I Google searched Force Awakens props. Here is one of the links to the gallery. http://www.theforceawakensblog.com/50-the-force-awakens-battle-props-in-close-up/ It appears that the glasseye may be a custom addition. The edge is smooth instead the traditional coin edge knurling. I was hoping for any thoughts any might have on this.

The-Force-Awakens-Battle-Props-in-Close-up-44.jpgThe-Force-Awakens-Battle-Props-in-Close-up-43.jpg

I take it the glass eye is an original (or accurate replica) that's had the knurling machined off rather than a custom made smooth one? Hence the different finish showing around the edge.

So how many variations of the saber on screen or on display/pics are there? Where did the silver colored circuit board come from when the pics and display versions all of the bronze color? And are there any examples of grips to the bottom on screen? Sorry, it's just a long thread. :)

So how many variations of the saber on screen or on display/pics are there? Where did the silver colored circuit board come from when the pics and display versions all of the bronze color? And are there any examples of grips to the bottom on screen? Sorry, it's just a long thread. :)

Seems like only 2 versions are used on-screen: 1 that is the same as the Visual Dictionary, and possibly a second that matches the Finn promo/Fathead photos.

The Wired photo shoot version does not match a screen used saber version yet.

The Disney Launch Bay sabers seem to be modified MR Luke ESB versions, or real Graflex's with MR grips and MR Kobold clips.

The screen used sabers seem to have a custom cut metal clamp cover.

The Wired saber look like it may have an MR FX saber clamp over a real clamp.

The Disney sabers have the same metal clamp covers as the screen used sabers.

Machining the knurl off would also explain it, since I'm rather sure the original eye is brass. In fact I had already done that to a replica eye i had to complete my TFA saber look (or at least according to this pic). I didn't want to do it to one of my real eyes. I guess until some HD screen caps of the saber are found (blu-ray) it will probably only be speculation. I also agree with Bryancd. Many different props variations. This many only be one version of it. Thought that it was an interesting pic I would share.

Just got back from 3rd viewing of TFA. Looks to me that in the snow scene the grips indeed have a gap top AND bottom, in the side shot. Another angle makes it look there's no gap on bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like only 2 versions are used on-screen: 1 that is the same as the Visual Dictionary, and possibly a second that matches the Finn promo/Fathead photos.

The Wired photo shoot version does not match a screen used saber version yet.

The Disney Launch Bay sabers seem to be modified MR Luke ESB versions, or real Graflex's with MR grips and MR Kobold clips.

The screen used sabers seem to have a custom cut metal clamp cover.

The Wired saber look like it may have an MR FX saber clamp over a real clamp.

The Disney sabers have the same metal clamp covers as the screen used sabers.

So the grips do end before the bottom and the circuit card is bronze.

I think the top gap has been explained by the bottom tube being pulled down or pushed further up.

So far it seems that may be the case.

The photos that Banthapudu posted above show a slight gap at the top of the grip and also theres indication of that partial hole inside the bottom square on the clamp.
This suggests that the bottom portion of the tube was pulled only part ways down thus the partial gap above the grips.
If the bottom portion if the tube were pushed all the way up, the hole inside the square would be bigger and the grips would touch the clamp (no gap).
So, if someone wanted the version with the gap, they merely pull the bottom portion of the tube down..
If they want no gap, the simply slide the tube up.

Still, ot would be best to double check and make sure all the photos of the screen used lightsaber are consistent and have the little gap inside the square hole for confirmation.

Last edited:
guys these parts look great! Roy I'll be ordering once u post it live!

I two believe there is 2 hero graflex's. the vision graflex ( one in box) and the Leia graflex ( the one Leia is passed in the trailer)

I have to watch it again but even the castle battle when Finn is running around with it I think it has long grips. there is a scene where he jumps and the saber is in his hand, I swear it's long grips

cannot wait for the bluray...

TFA has to be my favorite version of the graflex so I'm glad to see parts being made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense, sort of like how Edgar Wright was still given story credit on Ant-Man.

I don't mean to hijack the thread. But I feel this is worth a listen for those wondering about credit in films.

http://www.tested.com/art/movies/558401-fx-awakens-episode-25-122515/

The whole thing is worth a listen, but if you listen at 35:40 Frank Ippolito, (he's an RPF member) worked on restoring the holochess pieces in the new movie. He talks about how some of his friends didn't get credit. Like Brett Foxwell who machined and updated the stop motion armatures.

https://youtu.be/G0kac3ZFkkw?t=653

You can see them both talk about what they did above.

I don't know the rhyme or reason why some folks get credited and others don't. I think they are only allowed so many spots. So it gets tough. It's cool Brett Foxwell is at least mentioned uncredited on IMBD.

Last edited by a moderator:
My run of TFA clamp cards will be here on the 1st of Feb. Once I inspect and make sure they're good, I'll make them available. Same options as the ROTJV2 cards, as far as silver soldering goes. Though I am not sure if the thin traces on the TFA saber are silver soldered.

Have there been any clear photos showing the opposite side of the clamp?
The side that has the long rectangular slit?

We need to find out the positioning of the hole in the slit to tell us how far that bottom tube is rotated.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back