Anovos Stormtrooper.... thoughts?

I ordered a kit as well... My eyes teared up as I did; not for having spent the very outstanding price but the thought of finally owning a set of trooper armor that I have dreamed about since 1977... I wanted a second set for a display but the wife said for now just one... I wonder if the 501st will still have my original app from 98 when I submitted my Fett? Thanks Jose and your company for producing what may be the best damn SW line of products...
Well, once my armor is all done and (hopefully) gets approved, I might just buy a mannequin to display it at home, if the wife permits. Well, thinking of my 5yo son, I might just as well buy a sturdy, lockable box and hide it away... [emoji58]

I read the the "most frequent question portion" I could not locate the info but will correct size strips be provided to join the armor bits together? Or is this something we provide? My concern is matching the white plastic.

From what I've gathered, I think EVERYTHING you need to assemble the suit will be included in the kit. But I'll let Got Maul confirm that if he can :)

We will include some BASIC strapping to put together a very basic system of attachment. Admittedly, it is minimalist because what we have found is that there are multiple ways a person can put together the armor. Just among our friends, there are at least five different methods, each one with its own merit. The good news is, velcro is abundant, so if you needed to configure your own system, accessibility is as far as a Joan's, Home Depot, Walmart and Target. Some people love doing a snap system as well. All together, we argued this for a few weeks, internally and the solution for the correct balance between kit and true DIY was struck with including some strapping with this kit.

I've seen this comment a couple of times. Is that actually confirmed anywhere (Got Maul?), because the Anovos site says the suit is based on THEIR sculpts, which respect the heritage of the ANH TK costume (again, I'm no expert, but it's based on the stunt, not the hero, correct?) - nothing about laser scans.

To be fair, the sculpts are Lucas' sculpts. We just scanned them in. This is a delicate question because if you look at the pics on the buy site, you will see our sculpts because it is final pieces after we've deliberated what warpage and asymmetry stays in from the originals. To be clear again, these are not exact copies of the original but instead copies that have been slightly idealized to conform to the Anovos standards for costuming and durability. I cannot recommend the Stormtrooper from Ono's EFX enough if you want hyper accuracy.

Maybe I missed it... but is the armor made to be permanently mounted onto the under suit?

These are not permanently mounted to the under suit. The idea is to create the harness outside the suit. Later on, we will introduce an undersuit that has the rigging's built into the suit, we call this the "arming suit"...but with the cool twist.. the jacket can be worn as casual wear. This is in prototype mode, so this still falls under "potential" cool upgrade.

I just pulled the trigger. I'm scared to death I'll screw it up. :)

Frank Cerney, long time friend and one of my first prop teachers once told me something when I said the same exact thing to him (which I have carried and repeated countless times) : "It is not about screwing up, as much as knowing how to cover your mistakes".

There have been countless mistakes made with making this armor, at the same time, there have been countless remedies. Even you do make a mistake, I know you will be in good company here on the RPF to help remedy any issues.

It's in the general Anovos Star Wars thread or the Snowtrooper thread or somewhere... All the armor pieces they're making are laser-scanned from original pieces, 3D printed, cleaned up, and those prints/sculpts used for moulding/forming. As opposed to, say, taking a physical cast from the inside of the vac-formed armor piece or outside of the cast pieces. Different approaches. This one does less damage to the original piece, and the digital file is more enduring than a physical mould.

--Jonah

Yes, we opt to scan because it is far more reliable as a method to replicate and majorly less invasive. Secondly, which is most important, it gives us the ability to scan 4-5 costumes in one trip, rather than just concentrate on one in the same time.

...anyone in the U.S. want to buy one and trade it for some Death Star modules and/or Clone Trooper blaster kit? I can't stomach the extra £200+ for the postage, V.A.T. and import duties :cry ...

Minifig

If I am not mistaken, since this is a pre-order, you are free from VAT .

This is what I understand. I read that the inside of each armor piece will be lined and will then (velcro?) attach to the arming suit and a basic harness system they include.

Like any plastic armor, if you don't like the default strapping system, it is super easy to modify it to use a different system, so no worries.

That was the idea with our minimalized strapping

I'm guessing for $350 you are gonna get untrimmed pieces of plastic. Inside of each piece lined? Lined with what? You'll have to trim pieces, sand pieces, glue strapping to pieces. It's not a snap together kit. You'll have to put some work into it. I'm tempted to get one even though I need another TK like I need another hole in the head.

It is not a snap together kit and will require cutting into plastic, sanding, etc.

Well, once my armor is all done and (hopefully) gets approved, I might just buy a mannequin to display it at home, if the wife permits. Well, thinking of my 5yo son, I might just as well buy a sturdy, lockable box and hide it away... [emoji58]

That's awesome. I love hearing this as a father/son projects.

We will include some BASIC strapping to put together a very basic system of attachment. Admittedly, it is minimalist because what we have found is that there are multiple ways a person can put together the armor. Just among our friends, there are at least five different methods, each one with its own merit. The good news is, velcro is abundant, so if you needed to configure your own system, accessibility is as far as a Joan's, Home Depot, Walmart and Target. Some people love doing a snap system as well. All together, we argued this for a few weeks, internally and the solution for the correct balance between kit and true DIY was struck with including some strapping with this kit.

Thanks for chiming in here Got Maul! You don't actually say it here, but this paragraph suggests that the very basic system of attachment is based on velcro then, yes?

That's awesome. I love hearing this as a father/son projects.

You misunderstood me: I want to hide it from my son (because at 5yo , he's prone to "accidentally damage" a lot of stuff. Hence the sturdy box. My wife is OK with me buying this. :)

My son m7ght still inherit it though, as he loves the troopers...

Sorry I should've been more clear. I'm not referring to the "strapping" system. I'm referring to the plastic strips to join the 2 halves of armor together. I know the arm strips are a different width than the shins, thighs and color matching the plastic could be an issue.

Thanks, Got Maul - it's not that I was looking for hyper-accuracy, just that I kept seeing people say the pieces were scanned from originals, but had not seen where YOU guys had said that - I was more wondering if these were sculpts based on studying images, or if they had some lineage to the screen-used suits. On that score - this is certainly good enough for me! The pic in the e-mailer that went around for your May the 4th promo did it - that's a great photo of the prototype - just give us something that looks that good :) Aaaand...purchased.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a 2nd kit, for my 19 yr. old son. He has a Starkiller costume that he currently uses for local events with our local 501st garrison, but I thought it'd be nice for him to have an alternate costume to wear if he wants. I've always wanted a TK myself, but as Vader is my favorite character, that's the costume I decided to concentrate on making 1st for admission to the 501st. My Vader was approved 7 yrs. ago, & I've been trooping as the Dark Lord ever since. I love the attention Vader gets at events, but sometimes I wish I had something else to wear. Now that I've ordered these 2 kits, both my son & I will have an alternate to wear when we choose to. THANKS ANOVOS for offering these at such a GREAT INTRO. PRICE! You've allowed my son & I a AWESOME alternative to our current gear!(y)cool

Sorry I should've been more clear. I'm not referring to the "strapping" system. I'm referring to the plastic strips to join the 2 halves of armor together. I know the arm strips are a different width than the shins, thighs and color matching the plastic could be an issue.

Ah ! Yes, the shims ! Yes, will be including those and will also be include extra plastic should more shimming need to be done.

Thanks for chiming in here Got Maul! You don't actually say it here, but this paragraph suggests that the very basic system of attachment is based on velcro then, yes?

Yes a very basic system of velcro and nylon strapping.

You misunderstood me: I want to hide it from my son (because at 5yo , he's prone to "accidentally damage" a lot of stuff. Hence the sturdy box. My wife is OK with me buying this. :)

My son m7ght still inherit it though, as he loves the troopers...

Fantastic !!

It sounds like most of you guys are ordering the kits?

I'm on the fence! It seems like an additional $850 might be a lot to have it trimmed and finished by ANOVOS?

Thoughts?

"Help, RPF fanboys...you're my only hope"

:lol

I'm on the fence! It seems like an additional $850 might be a lot to have it trimmed and finished by ANOVOS?

Thoughts?

Got Maul hasn't said it, but I've noticed he HASN'T mentioned lining for the kits, whereas the assembled suits are listed as being lined armor. Also it sounds like he's suggesting the strapping system and attachment to the arming suit may be more sophisticated on the finished suits than the very rudimentary strapping system you'll be able to make out of the supplies that comes in the kit version. Guessing though.

Thoughts?

A finished suit is more than likely not going to be an adequate fit. A kit allows you to build it around you

[quote name=&quot;easyloco&quot; post=3633097]With free shipping to Europe I definately ordered mine.[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
[quote name=&quot;Reelo&quot; post=3633113]Free shipping to Europe ?!?[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
It adds $150 for shipping to the UK, where are you seeing free?<br/>
I ordered it at the SW Celebration. It came with free shipping. Even to Holland.

With free shipping to Europe I definately ordered mine.

dxGYiTz.gif

[quote name=&quot;easyloco&quot; post=3633097]With free shipping to Europe I definately ordered mine.
<br />
<br />
[quote name=&quot;Reelo&quot; post=3633113]Free shipping to Europe ?!?[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
It adds $150 for shipping to the UK, where are you seeing free?<br/>
I ordered it at the SW Celebration. It came with free shipping. Even to Holland.[/QUOTE]
Ah yes I see.

Watched an interview with Heath at Anovos from back in December. So, liiiiiiiiiittle nervous about the kit now - he is talking about the plastic Anovos has gone with for armor, how awesome it is, how durable and flexible....and how it is totally impossible to sand it or glue anything to it....:wacko

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back