My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

Meh they are WAYYYYYYY close, good enough for me ;) I was suspect that a kit from the 70's would still be in production and readily available in 2015 so not really surprised, again they look really close as far as I can tell so for me that is all I wanted, those other things just looked kinda lame so this is nice upgrade IMO. thanks for the heads up though!

This is the kit used on all Star Wars models :

This this kit was still in production until recently, unfortunaly for us, Tamiya did a new tooling of it like the Yamato or Shinano, other Star Wars grail kits :(

A ton of parts from the Matilda are used on the 32", you may be able to upgrade other areas of the DeAgo if the part break-down is similar.

ah yeah, kinda blurry but it looks like that part in the middle is actually kinda doughnut shaped. oh well, i'm not gonna get too crazy with this stuff ( i fully realize and respect that those kinda of statements are looked down upon by most on this site hahah please don't ban me!) This isn't exactly the "horseshoes and handgranades" kinda group ;P

ah yeah, kinda blurry but it looks like that part in the middle is actually kinda doughnut shaped. oh well, i'm not gonna get too crazy with this stuff ( i fully realize and respect that those kinda of statements are looked down upon by most on this site hahah please don't ban me!) This isn't exactly the "horseshoes and handgranades" kinda group ;P

Yeah if it's OK for you then it's fine, however I had to correct you so noone would mistake the Matilda kit you posted for the vintage Matilda used on the Star Wars filming miniatures. :)

While on the subject, I wish to replace the tank part with the original part as I want to retain the original vents like the 5 footer falcon. Is the tank part from the Airfix 1/76 Panther kit?

Here's a clearer image of the Matilda parts. The good thing is the Falcon only uses 2 of these (as far as I know) and the kit gives plenty of spares.

And yes it is the 1/76 Airfix Panther.

Matilda_MK_II_D.jpg

Finally got around to doing some more work on this recently! Decided to go in and remove and rebuild all those little holes for the mounts on the bottom. Cut off the round extruded parts with a chisel and then cut out and rebuilt the panels with sheet styrene, on a couple I just filled in and resculpted with milliput,both approaches seemed to work fine and give the same final result. it was easier to just fill in and repair with the milliput though, and required less material to be removed from the original model.

Next, I sanded all the panels down on the front wall and rebuilt them with styrene to get cleaner panels/notches then added the little square warts that were missing from the original cast piece. All and all I'm really happy with the mods to these bays, they feel much closer to the original prop with better distribution of matching, crisp detailing to better match the rest of the model and not stand out so much. Those original mounting holes where all I could see when looking at the bottom! ha

dafd.JPGqerqe.JPGIMG_8926.JPGIMG_8978.JPGtops.jpgfronts.jpg

Final completed bottom, hole free!
I also filled and sanded all the little led light holes that were added to the model as well, they are cool but I want this to be as close to the original prop as I can get.

bottom.jpg

I also filled and resculpted those blast marks on the bottom to be more accurate and detailed than the cast pieces. I'm not going to be install a switch there so that hole was filled as well.
fdfdasdsfd.jpg

Moving on to the top!

First thing was those blast marks, filled and Dremeled those to closer match the filming prop. Rounded the edges over with the Dremel to give it the more sunken melted blasts with the holes in the bottom.

blastHoles.jpg

Looking really good
Keep looking at those horrible mounting holes myself but I'm still undecided how to display mine.
Got an idea but cost is a factor.

Started painting the lower hull! Put down the base coat ( tamiya Insignia White) and the first pass of different panel colors. So clean!

DSC_3764.JPG

First pass of weathering FX, using mostly brush on weathering powders and some light washes of black and rust colors here and there, with only a bit of airbrushing. Have a few subtle splatters and all the little hatch marks left to do. Coming along though! Ive tried to be fairly diligent about the streaking patterns but can only get them so close, sometimes those powders have a mind of their own!

IMG_9910.JPGFullSizeRender01.jpgIMG_990505.JPGFullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender03.jpg

DAAAUUUUMMMM!!!!!!!!! That's looking amazing man!! Spot on!!

Hey I was gonna ask you and I forgot, what paints did you use for the different grayish panels on your falcon? Maybe you posted it someplace already but I don't remember seeing that.

Thanks everyone!

Charles I pretty much use Sky Grey (XF-19) for the really light ones and Ligh tGrey (xf-66, its not light at all, very missleading name!) for the medium grey ones, Ill mix in a drop of 2 of nato black with that sometimes on the really dark ones.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back