My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

Sealed it all up and did the final hatch marks, did some last minute oil streaking as well.
Now just gonna wait around for another year for all the top and mandible parts... ; \

DSC_3785.jpgDSC_3789.jpgDSC_3791.jpgDSC_3797.jpgDSC_3801.jpgDSC_3807.jpg

Thanks! I can't wait to get this entire model together, I really agonized over painting it all at once vs in chunks. I couldn't wait any longer and felt that this was a complete enough section to go ahead and paint, and I have heard that the bottom looks lot different than the top does when you actually look at the model so I guess if I'm painting a bit different in a year from now it will just be that much closer to the look and feel of the studio model hahah.

I decided to so some light spattering in some areas, I didn't want to go overboard with it so I kept it pretty subtle. I'm happy with the results and feel it gives the final look a level of complexity that wasn't there before. I used a really thinned down Tamiya smoke, and some medium thinned raw siennna oils for the differnet colors. In a couple places I added some smoke to the wash to darken it up a bit for a couple areas. I used a pretty small (1/4 angle chisle brush) to do the spattering, it was pretty stiff so it was easy to controll the amount of paint coming out and keep the effect subtle.

Gonna give this about a week to dry up and seal it! Calling this done for now :D

splatter01.jpgsplatter02.jpgsplatter03.jpgsplatter04.jpgsplatter05.jpgsplatter06.jpgsplatter07.jpgsplatter08.jpg

Looking through the all the ref pics and the chronicle book I found few hatch marks I had missed on the first pass, I suspect there are more to discover eventually as well, I'm really glad this build is spread out over 2 years, I would never otherwise sit and pour over every inch of the ship this way if I were building it all at once...

For those following along and hunting for all these little guys I found these on the fronts of the landing bays that were added to the Empire model as well as a few on the front wall of those escape pod corridors.

newHatch04.jpgnewHatch02.jpgnewHatch01.jpg

So are these photos of the filming miniature or yours? I seriously am having a hard time telling the difference.

I don't know about anyone else, but i consider your build to be reference quality! Your colors, details, weathering....everything is so close to the studio model...incredible work!

Rich

Thanks clancampbell! I certainly tried my best but there is a point where the organic nature of how the paint hits the surface and washes flow that you hit "the barrier" with. I tried to get all the main points in there but the really fine stuff is just approximated. I would say you could certainly use it as a cross reference though so if you see something in these pics that you like then you could go look it up in the ref you have and see what it actually is or if its even there at all.

That being said I do feel i got pretty close, but if you start to compare them you begin to see all the discrepancies.
Here is a test compare I did with one of Steve D's pics, I just auto white balanced the original pic from Steve D in PhotoShop as they were clearly dark and warm, and used that as my color guide. It's impossible to say what the actual colors are from this process but overall I think its close based on all the pics I have seen. the most important thing for me in this color compare was the relative color of all the areas as those are being moved around pretty evenly with these processes. So for example based on these I can tell that my big grey panels next to the yellow one are just a bit cooler and my yellow is a bit less saturated relative to the "color corrected, using that term loosely" ref pic.

That being said I feel that am pretty close though, and that makes me feel okay about it! At a certain point (IMO) it doesn't matter anymore unless the 2 models are sitting side by side in the same light.

compare.jpg
studio model in bottom pic

PS look how accurate that Deago model is!!! Hats off to those guys, I know it has its issues here and there but a lot of it is really spot on like this!

I do want to try and do a couple simple "falcon racing past the camera" shots though when the model is done. Does anyone know how the star fields were shot back in the OT I really want to try and reproduce things optically the best I can. I have never heard anything about the actual stars in all the making of docs or cinefex! They always say something like "and we have to do a pass for the stars ect." but never what they were? I'm imagining something like big sheets of glass painted black with little holes scraped off and a big back light or something like that, need to pour back through all the old cinefex and making of stuff and see if I see anything laying around on the filming sets i guess.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back