Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 1, 2015, 5:20 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #51

Built this test piece to practice painting techniques on, was looking to see how much of the base color really comes through once all the other layers of paint and weathering are applied, was surprised how little it mattered, there are some traces of the original base colors cast but not as much as I thought there would be!

The base colors are painted over black using Tamiya rattle can Insignia white ( the greyer color on the top half) and Racing White( the warmer and brighter color on the bottom half)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adfdas.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	523346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfasdf.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	373.6 KB 
ID:	523349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adfadf.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	523344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6433.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	523351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adfasdf.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	523345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfadsa.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	523348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adfdasffsa.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	523347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfd.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	364.8 KB 
ID:	523350
    From
    Ireland
    Sep 1, 2015, 5:28 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #52

Absolutely brilliant, and a great idea , what other colours did you use ?
    Sep 1, 2015, 9:46 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #53

Name:	Colors.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	523414

Thanks!

Here are colors I used, all tamiya, I need to lighten them all up a bit ( added some ref pics of the colors I'm working off) especially that dark grey and medium grey. The red looks really dark as well, I sprayed the red panels with dark grey first so that the red would not take so long to build up over the white color, I should have gone with light grey so the red would go on brighter... next time!

all the rust stuff and some of the streaking is a weather power kit, Weather System from Bragdon Enterprises # FF-60
    From
    CANADA
    Sep 2, 2015, 1:27 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #54

Great choice going with Tamiya insignia white as the base color, I have the MR Falcon and Tamiya Insignia white is a very close match.
    Sep 2, 2015, 10:08 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #55

can't take credit for that, Dymszo suggested it in this video, how do you like your MR Falcon, from what I have seen its pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4

Sep 15, 2015, 6:08 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #56

Name:	final01.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	529113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final02.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	529114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final03.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	460.0 KB 
ID:	529115

Added some final paint spatter, and hatch marks. Overall I'm really happy with this test and feel much better about moving on to painting the actual model now! Lots of trial and error and finding out when is too much, like the paint splatter! haha

Kris
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    Entwistle, Alberta, Canada
    Sep 15, 2015, 6:38 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #57

Your paint work looks amazing!
    Sep 16, 2015, 4:31 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #58

That looks great!!

Only think I'd suggest is to cover the areas inside the plating notches when masking.
    Sep 16, 2015, 7:02 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #59

Treadwell said: View Post
    That looks great!!

Only think I'd suggest is to cover the areas inside the plating notches when masking.
    For a normal, quality job that's the way to go. But apparently ILM, in keeping with the concept of a ragged looking vehicle (and possibly due to lack of time), didn't. So it's more correct in this case to keep it slapdash and rough.
    Sep 16, 2015, 7:13 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #60

Fair enough!
  11. Member Since
    Apr 2004
    From
    OKC, OK
    Sep 21, 2015, 12:23 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #61

DUDE! Your build is inspiring. All the customizations are blowing my mind. That paint job on the test piece looks freak'n awesome. Any more progress on the LED tape for the cockpit?
    Sep 23, 2015, 10:21 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #62

Treadwell- yeah I really wrestled with that when I started getting into this build, at first I was like wow that's really quick and sloppy looking, I had assumed they were meant to be replaced panels from other colored ships, but then I remembered the line from New Hope where they say something like "the ships markings match the one..." And started thinking that maybe it makes more sense for them to be just markings painted on the ship-at least the really dark grey and red ones- at least that's kinda how I justify it in my mind now! Haha

bwize-thanks man, nah I haven't messed with the cockpit anymore, hopefully can get back to it soon though!
    Sep 24, 2015, 10:44 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #63

FlyingBrickYard (lol) - yeah on that topic of working quickly I read somewhere that they also purposely work quickly ( as you said though more than likely out of necessity as well) like that to keep the energy and organic look to their stuff, often when stuff is really labored over it looks like it and that energy is lost, I tried that on this piece and I have to say I think there is something too it! That whole piece was painted over a couple hours and most of that time was waiting for stuff to dry inbetween weathering layers- its nice for me as well because I can look back at and not really remember doing all the little stuff, so there is fun stuff to look at and explore so that it feels new and fresh to me instead of knowing every little thing I did. The final paint job on this falcon will be interesting because I really want to keep it accurate but I also want to be really free and loose with it as well..prolly be strict with getting all the panels and major markings done then loosen up with all the final streaking and weathering.
    Oct 5, 2015, 12:12 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #64

Love what you've done so far Ktaylor!
    Thanks for the link to the woodland scenics lighting system, I hadn't even thought of checking with them for lighting supplies, but now it seems like a "Duh!" moment! What source are you using for your EL tape needs? Are you looking at using any EL wire as well?
  15. LrdSatyr8 is offline LrdSatyr8
    Oct 22, 2015, 10:26 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #65

Bro... I gotta say... you're doing a wonderful job on this being your first time. Youv'e got some serious talent! Very well done so far. Where are you getting your EL tape from? I was thinking of using it myself. Just paint over the top of it and the scrape away some paint for the floor light slits would probably be my solution.
    Oct 22, 2015, 11:40 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #66

Thanks LrdSatyr8! To be fair I have been doing practical creature Maquettes and digital model/FX work for almost 20 years now but this is the first time I have worked on a hardsurface practical model! It's a lot of fun and really given me some cool ideas for painting digital models now, anyways, yeah for the EL tape I buy it online at amazon and here locally in Texas at FryElectronics, just check what type of power supply you are getting there are different types and its not always apparant unless you start looking into it, some have blinking options, some are just on/off ect...

Yeah I think that would probobly work out great, I got some really thin mask tape from testors I think? it's like1/32 inch that could work as well if you wanted to mask instead of scratch. For now I have shelved the interior stuff it was just too much work and time for something that I will NEVER see hahaha maybe later in the build if I get board of waiting on parts i'll finish it out but wanted to put the time into some other models now that I'm completely addicted to scratch building stuff!
    Oct 22, 2015, 11:44 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #67

Aegis, yeah like i was telling Lrd, I get it off Amazon and locally at Fry's, there are a lot of options on Amazon, just watch for different PSU types.
    I really tried to think of a use for ElWire and just couldn't come up with anything lol it seems cool though and must be useful for something eventually!
  18. LrdSatyr8 is offline LrdSatyr8
    Oct 26, 2015, 11:00 AM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #68

Treadwell said: View Post
    That looks great!!

Why?... they never did on the original Falcon model!
    Oct 26, 2015, 2:04 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #69

as I was informed
    Nov 24, 2015, 12:33 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #70

Anyone know what kit piece these round guys are that are planted onto the panther tank piece there, the deago kit ones are pretty different and I thought it would be cool to replace them with the original kit bashed pieces since the scale is the same!

Name:	bottomDetailID.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	558758
  21. LrdSatyr8 is offline LrdSatyr8
    Nov 24, 2015, 1:27 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #71

I heard a joke about those being a last minute joke and were buttons off Lorne Peterson's shirt after the Christmas Party... but I could be wrong! LOL
  22. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Nov 24, 2015, 2:48 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #72

They look like parts of the Matilda MK II.
  23. Member Since
    Sep 2010
    Nov 24, 2015, 2:54 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #73

They look like parts of the Matilda MK II.

Name:	Matilda MK II D.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	558861
    Nov 24, 2015, 3:04 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #74

Yeah that looks like it for sure! Thanks guys, your knowledge of these kits is astounding! I'll see if I can order one of these and post back pics when I get it for confirmation!
    Nov 24, 2015, 3:21 PM - Re: My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!) #75

Do you know which scale that is? Is it 1/72 I see a 1/48 as well