My first build (deago ESB SS Falcon!)

Looks great, but I did want to comment on your first post. You said you added some things that were missing?

I know that there are a lot of the greeblies that are coming later. Kind of like on the cockpit tube, we get the tube, then all the external pipes in a later issue. Just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware.

Keep up the great work.

yeah for sure, its was apparant though that those particular details wouldnt be added later though because they were already there, just kinda poorly done, or in case of the little missing square panels it seems clear that some were just overlooked, it would make no sense to mold some and have others be added later to the same flat area, you can usuallytell when a piece is missing and will be later added like on the turret walls, there are registers for where the piece will later attach to.

like these tabs here will have some pieces that glue in, especially if you look at the real model there are really specific parts that go there. lol I assume at least! but I know what happes when I do that hehe
Missing pieces.jpg

Last edited:
Started working on the main hold interior.

rebuilt the ring to be a bit more at the proper scale and also be a bit more accurate to the set design. Built up the ring edge with a couple styrene strips to give it some more depth and detail then added a bunch of I-Beams for the support details, feels more accurate to the detail scale of the actual set than the supplied piece which was too bulky and thick looking.

Also started cutting out some recesses in wall to add more accurate detailing and depth.

hold 02.jpghold 01.jpg

Added in the padding and gave the wall a coat of the metalizer paint and started selectively buffing areas to get more metalic highlights while leaving the corners un buffed for a nice grime build up look.

dsadgs.jpgIMG_4208.JPG

Started playing around with lighting just for fun, taking a few LEDs and just having fun with liighting designs, not very falcon looking, but cool and fun non the less! Fun playing with Light and shadow, can't wait to get all the Fiber Optic and LED lighting hooked up!

hold 03.jpgIMG_4162.JPGesear.jpgholdWall03.jpg

Ktaytor, very precise and fine build skills there!

Are you going to put small wires inside those Ring Edges?

In the studio set there are wires there? Or are you leaving this as is.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 470
Thanks!
Yeah I'm going to figure out something that will look good at scale, unfortunately I didn't drill holes in each of the I-beams to pass wires though so I have 2 options make wires and cut them into little 1/8 segments and glue them in between the beams..... or.....rip them out and re-do it.....gonna test the first option out and see if it looks okay or not, I can see it working if I do it right, basically make one big clump of wires and glue them all up then cut that up into little pieces and fit each segment between each space so all the braid, color pattern looks contiguous.

I was over anxious to see how it looked and completely ignored this obvious design problem, I get like that, from time to time :>

Extremely nice work. Your attention to detail and scratch building skills are enjoyable to watch. Thank you for posting and please continue to do so.

Thanks CRphoto! It's definatley a new addiction for sure, I usually do computer modeling so actually doing practical modeling is a really fun departure from that world but with the same goals and familiarity, cant wait till I can just 3d print stuff at my desk!! soooooooooon!!!!

Kris

Worked a bit more on the interior, built out some detail on the wall behind the nav computer the part came as just a flat wall with nothing on it, so cut a little window out for some of the recessed detail and added all the styrene trim detail, tried to be as accurate as I could with the set but this wall is proportionally shorter than the actual set wall was so I could only cram so much of it on there. Hit it with some Titanium Metalizer righ out of the rattle can, buffed some areas left parts intentionally matt for residue build up look, and then just put a quick black wash over it. Will come back and add some more subtle color work to help unify it all together once all the walls are up and I can hit it all at once. There is an overhang panel that comes down from the top of this wall that the hose goes up into but going to wait until I have it in the final model so I can see how much room is up there before adding it or any other ceiling level details.

aldjfa.jpg0006.jpg0007.jpg

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 0008.JPG
    0008.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 482
  • adfdafdd.JPG
    adfdafdd.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 412
Also started on the floor grating, just took some photo etch and glued it down, considered replacing the enitre floor but there are big holes for screws in the bottom for attaching this to the ship that I didnt want to loose or have to reproduce. cut out the access panels and added some trim. Going to continue to build out the pit there with as much detail/lighting as I can fit down there, kinda need to see how it attaches to the ship first to know how much room ill have for any sub-flooring.

Used Tony's 3d prints from Shapeways for the grill covers, they are very nice and crisply detailed, as much as the PE which is amazing for 3d printing at this scale...
http://www.shapeways.com/product/6S...-grille?li=search-results-1&optionId=55988259

Trying to do as much scratch build as I can but wasnt up to teh challenge for that pattern in the grill covers, big thanks to Tony for designing such a great and accurate part!

PE link
http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/etched-brass-bpc-sci-fi-decking.html

adfdafdd.JPG FullSizeRender055.jpg

Trying to decide how to do the paneling around the grates now, its kinda tricky to get looking right at this scale, I don't want to just float styrene strips on top of the flooring unless I can find some thin enough to not look like big bulky strips glued down...anyone know of a place that does custom PE I could just design them as one big overlay and the PE is thin enough to not mess the scale up, that hatch trim is a bit too thick at the moment, gonna take a flat sanding block and take them down just a bit!

Last edited:
Got some base paint on the flooring, ended up building up the front part as well so it would be sligtly higher than the layered on PE grating. Painted it with various shades of metalizers and buffed them down. Added a pretty heavy black wash and mottled it with a q-tip to get some of the grime looking effects. So far so good, need to clean up some of the glue seep though, or paint it up to look like grime build up or something :) plan on adding some of the pit to the uncovered hatch, need to see how much clearance there is with the bottom of the ship hull, I want to extend the front of the room as well but again not sure how much space inside the model there is, I need to check the BP and see.

FullSizeRender2050.jpgIMG_4874545.JPGFullSizeRender005.jpg

Great work, loving the panels on the docking ports, could you kindly let us know the mesurements of the square rod and half circle rod you used to add the ribs on the panels and the ribs on the extra detailing? Keep us updated as the falcon threads are getting very interesting :cool

Thanks! Yeah I used 1/8 (#274) I beam for the ribbing around the entry way ring with a .020x.156 (#127) strip on the outside edge.
hold 01.jpg

most of these vertical strips on the adjacent wall (behind the nav computer) were done with .01x.030" (#101) and .015x.080(#114)
aldjfa.jpg

Hope that helps!

Kris

Built up some beefier pipes for the back wall (.5" plastic styrene tubing) going to drill out holes in the walls and feed them though.
FullSizeRender(7).jpgFullSizeRender(8).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4976.JPG
    IMG_4976.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 293
  • FullSizeRender(6).jpg
    FullSizeRender(6).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4981.JPG
    IMG_4981.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 279
  • FullSizeRender(5).jpg
    FullSizeRender(5).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 318
Detailed out the area around the game table and bunk, should look cool, once I get it attached to the floor/wall I will add a few more pipes around it to help seat it into the area better.

IMG_4976.JPGFullSizeRender(5).jpgIMG_4981.JPGFullSizeRender(6).jpg

Re: My first build - DeAgostini ESB Falcon!

Thanks for prompt reply Kris, these were the parts I had in mind, the ribs on the extra detailing (are they half rounds) and the square rod for the ribs on the hull plates above, I assume backed onto the 0.2 like the plating :) (sorry to be a Pain, just been measuring up and really struggling to find just the right look and yours from the pics look spot on :thumbsup

thanks

Re: My first build - DeAgostini ESB Falcon!

Oh okay yeah ( I know what you mean it took several trips so the hobby store to find the right ones!) You are correct the plating is .2 and those are half rounds on the detailing with the hole in it. I will have to check tonight when I get home and see what the sizes are. ( although I did hear that the kit in the Japanese release has this issue of the side hull plating resolved so we MAY be getting those pieces as updates in the future not sure-but wanted to make sure you heard about that. I also noitced that the bottom piece that matches this top pieces the issue has been resolved and looks great, so they can definatley mold and cast these pieces correctly now, sooo fingers crossed that they re issue the original top piece!

If you scroll down you can see the hull plating on the new bottom piece, looks great!
http://forum.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/forums/topic/the-millennium-falcon-build-diary-issue-24/

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back