Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

Can anyone give me advice on how to acquire efx models when you live in Europe? They list some retailers on their website but most websites the links lead to look somewhat... shabby. Could I buy the Y-Wing directly from efx? Or is their a trustworthy European retailer (I somewhat fear the import fees...)? Thanks in advance! :)

There are serious EU shops that usually bring EFX stuff: Toy-Palace, SPACE etc.

Does anyone have any reference of Gold Leader with green panels during filming?

I'm not surprised the Gold Leader has some green on it. For years I though the Red 3 X-wing was all gray, when later reference revealed it to be more colourful than a 70s carpet!

I wonder if the green paint on Gold Leader was added later, maybe even after the model went into private hands?

Re: Possible EFX AT-ST ROTJ, TIE Bomber & Probe Droid studio scale

There are serious EU shops that usually bring EFX stuff: Toy-Palace, SPACE etc.

Oh, toy palace looks like a very good option! Thanks a lot! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if the green paint on Gold Leader was added later, maybe even after the model went into private hands?

I can´t believe any collector would add weathering or paint to a piece of such value... He´d need to be insane to make any changes!

I'm not surprised the Gold Leader has some green on it. For years I though the Red 3 X-wing was all gray, when later reference revealed it to be more colourful than a 70s carpet!

I've yet to see a reference during filming with the green panels. I have clear reference that doesn't have it . That being said, page 2 shows that it was clearly added at some point. Have to say, it's hard for me to get used to.

Just watched the video from above, Its a great Y, hands down and a nice paint job by steve for sure but I really hope the PD gets updated as its way off to the prop in many ways now and was a little naughty of Steve to play it as the most accurate, who knows what EFX will believe re these models..... and the final results if truths be twisted like that!!!!!

Shame its not spun with a more open and honest approach, we wouldn't want to hold back quality R&D and finds through miss interpretation....

I'd rather the PD was fully re worked for such a project and finally presented as accurately as possible re size. Lets hope Steve was just charming people rather than selling his model as the most accurate to efx..... This isn't meant a s a slur o steve but more a hope the PD get developed beyond what we see on the video....a mans word means a lot round these parts.

Jump in and do the maths EFX......what you don't know ASK?????

When EFX does the Probe Droid, it will be from a direct study of the filming miniature. All of the resin there (with the exception of the Y-Wing) was literally just a place holder, to generate excitement, and test the waters.

I have built five of those Probe Droids (two "original flavor" and three of the newer ones) and know what is wrong - and rest assured EFX does care enough to start from the ground up when making a pattern.

So the only things that are "on deck" now are the Y-Wing (which is an extraordinarily accurate pattern now) and the AT-ST, which will be DIRECTLY taken off of production made castings!!

Going past that, it will be scan data, direct measurements, and donor parts, when original parts or direct castings are unavailable. And good old reference pics! :cool

I feel like it's the early 2000s again, with the OT studio scale possibilities and new Star Wars films on the horizon!

- - - Updated - - -

And this time around we have the input of Steve Gawley, Lorne Peterson, and others. Getting them in the mix is changing the landscape and really honoring them, and their work!!

and rest assured EFX does care enough to start from the ground up when making a pattern.

I hope you are right and that they have learnt the lesson of the TIE Fighter ! I also hope they will use castings of the actual kit parts for the Y and not milled / 3D printed parts like they used on the TIE...

and the AT-ST, which will be DIRECTLY taken off of production made castings!!

Only the head I believe, and not from production made castings but from a production mold (even better !). The AT-ST is really something I will follow because it's one of my fav model ever and I have great hope for it ! I will be very critical regarding this one ! I hope they won't do any shortcut. I can't wait to see the first pics and see which go-mo AT-ST they will reproduce (they can make both for almost no additionnal costs though).

I remember providing Steve with a very early drawing I made of the ROTJ AT-ST legs back in 2008, which he then used as a basis to pattern the upgraded longer legs for his kit. I've since refined that drawing and am in the process of redesigning the entire armature for uber-accuracy. It would be nice if they could get it to have some articulation, rather than be a static piece.

Yeah a true replica of the go-mo at-st has to include a posable armature. I do understand that milling an armature would cost too much for a mass produced replica but it could be made of molded metal with resin details screwed on it (like on the original).

The owner of Gold Leader didn't repaint it or add green to it. It is how it was finally painted and weathered.

I hope you are right and that they have learnt the lesson of the TIE Fighter ! I also hope they will use castings of the actual kit parts for the Y and not milled / 3D printed parts like they used on the TIE...

What were the problems with the TIE?

How do I know? Well our group was given access to the Y-wing model for photography and measurement purposes by the owner who had DIRECT access to the filming miniatures for ANH. It's the same color of green used on other ILM models, Red V for example.The MOM y-wing also utilizes the same "blue" color used on the cocckpit.
Steve Gawley and Lourne Peterson said we nailed the model and they are an ongoing source of approval/guidance for future builds. How much better does it get?

The EFX Tie and future PD model... Julian/Guy have either of you ever had direct access to a studio used Tie Fighter or the PD model that wasn't behind glass? Julian your Tie ball IS 1/4" too big and your wing stars are FAR TOO thin. We had direct access to an original Tie that was measured,and extensively photographed. As far as scanned,grown parts used by the manufacturer, once we send the models to China they do what they do, it's out of our hands for MASS PRODUCTION.

If you guys want to b!tch about the work we do then prove your claims. Why don't you put up or shut up once and for all? If you're that jealous, why not be a part of the solution? IF you have anything to offer? We'd gladly include you and make the models better if you have something positive to add. You two have always sat back and bashed our efforts in order to make yourselves FEEL better, but NEVER have helped NOR offered to make the item better.

So you can continue to sit on the sidelines yelling insults at the other team, who by the looks of it are winning because WE have the opportunity to offer studio scale models to the masses. With that said our team of 15 years is always looking for like minded individuals.

As Jason said when the PD is produced the real prop/model will be used,scanned,measured and photographed. And every kit part we can source will be used.
All of us on our team BUST our assess for years to bring the masses the best. IF you don't like it, don't ******* buy it.

Oh look everyone Guy and Julien have something negative to add to the conversation. WOW!! That's new. NOT!

Great job Steve and crew. EFX looks like they will have some great new products coming soon. I guess the complaining duo will bash it some more now.

Is that negative to wish their future projects being better than the previous one ? Is that not what we all want to get every time better model ?
Im sorry regarding the TIE fighter but Steve's kit is better than the eFX because it has actual kit part... More accurate ! And parts are not CNC'ed (look at the openings of the top hatch of the eFX TIE, you can see the radius made by a mill bit in the corner).
Steve knows how picky I am and how I will be regarding the AT-ST :))
Nothing to add regarding the Y-Wing as the master is the best Y available so far (but we all know the final product can be far from the master, that's why I hope they will use real kitparts. But they can say that's not possible because they have to do steel molds for injection and not rubber molds... In this case that would explain why the parts are not original on the TIE and that would be understandable).
Said nothing about the PD cuz I knew it was a place holder.

They are doing a great job indeed, but we can say when something is wrong or could be improved, can't we ?
The models are not in production yet (at least the AT-ST), so better to say something before it's too late ?

Saying "wow" at everything won't help anyone, and trust me I have a lot of respect for what Steve has done over the year for the community and I love have a chat with him when I can.

You noted the "negative" things, what about the positive ones ? Yes because I said positive ones too.

In my opinion,all critism and comment are good to hear especially in a thread w few folks that involved in the project.
I love the Tie killer very much,again just hope the final product of the Y not as lame as the Tie before.

Don

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back