EddieWood's 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

EddieWood

Thought id give the sculpture contest a try seeing as ive got some free time, im planning on sculpting a Rathalos from the Monster Hunter game series using Monster Clay :) decided to do this because its not something id usually do, I like to sculpt head busts or figures so this is a chance to do something different :) as far as sculpting experience I just do it for fun, no formal training or experience really

So heres some progress shots of where I'm up to after a couple of hours work this afternoon:

IMG_20150405_135632326.jpg Untitled 2.pngIMG_20150405_194554976.jpg

I think that's everything I need to include, ill update this thread as I make progress, goodluck everyone and thanks for looking :)

(I also realise the wings, tail and neck on the armature photo are very long, I made them longer so I could cut them down to what size I wanted, better to have too much wire there than not enough :p)

Really good for just and afternoons worth of work! I look forward to seeing how you do the wings. Will you add on wire for the finger bones of the wings? (if that makes sense)

Really good for just and afternoons worth of work! I look forward to seeing how you do the wings. Will you add on wire for the finger bones of the wings? (if that makes sense)

Yeah im gonna add some of the fingers in for the wings, planning on adding those at a later date so they don't get in the way though :) and if the fingers don't work then ill add a fine mesh between each of them, but I think the fingers should be fine ... Only one way to find out haha :p hoping to get some more done tomorrow so ill keep this posted :D

Mesh seems to work really well for creating skin webbing. Smellybug did a maquette tutorial years ago that showed using it, to great effect.

I don't think it exists in its original form anymore, but someone saved it off here: http://floobynooby.blogspot.com/2010/08/3d-maquette-tutorial.html

Thanks for the link! That sculpt is awesome, I love the texturing

I think I'm gonna go for the mesh anyway tbh, even if its not necessary it'll add some support and let me get a better shape to the wing. I think having a mesh under there will help me get the clay thinner too and add some texture to it without it breaking lots and ending in frustration :p

Thanks for the link! That sculpt is awesome, I love the texturing

No doubt, really amazing skin work. Anxious to see the next step on yours!

Sinned, I'd recognise that work anywhere! The incomparable Peter Konig! Here is a link to his site if anyone is interested.
Http://www.peterhkonig.com

Awesome, yes, him! He does some really, really cool stuff. That tutorial of his is one of the first things I read though, when I first started out.

Last edited:
Didn't get as much time today as I thought I would but I got a little bit done :) worked on the ridges down the centre of his back, started on the large part at the end of his tail and then started work on the first layer of texturing on the one side. For the texturing im going to start with a covering of the scale-like shapes you see in the picture then add the larger, irregular spikes over this as I think this will be easier. For the scale pattern at the moment I used the circle end of the tool shown below (from kenstools.com, highly recommend those tools) at a slant and then raked over it with the other end. I also experimented with different thicknesses of stipple sponge (pond filter sponges) but I found the tool to work best as it made the scales look worn and scratched. After this im going to start on the base of the wings as they are going to have large, flared out scales at the base, add the larger scales to his body and start detailing the head, feet and tail because at the moment theyre just a rough shape to keep there as a placemarker

Rathprog1.jpgRathprog2.jpgkenstools.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back