Dredd 3D Helmet WIP

bryan603

So, I've officially taken the first step into the financial commitment of putting together a Judge costume from Dredd 3D. I got my helmet in the mail yesterday and spent most of the day working on it. The helmet is from the WCA (Watch City Armory) mold, which is now in the hands of Drew over at Toy Town Studios. As for yesterday's progress, I got the helmet trimmed, painted and (mostly) weathered. I still need to install the visor which should be showing up early next week and I want to do a few more washes to get the helmet to the level of grime/damage I'm aiming for. I am going for an extremely gritty, battle worn look. Attached are some progress pictures so far. Thanks for looking.

IMG_2219_zpskgrxfcrl.jpg
Raw helmet, fresh out of the box.
IMG_2232_zpss7p9hu9d.jpg
Trimmed & physical damage added.
IMG_2244_zpsbcnwgo9n.jpg
Silver layers down. I used Rust-Oleum "Metallic Silver" for these layers.
IMG_2255_zpsxaqad3y0.jpg
Black layers down, some more scratches & damage added. Rust-Oleum 2X "Flat Black" used.
IMG_2265_zps8r7rznar.jpg
Red layers. Rust-Oleum 2X Satin "Colonial Red"
IMG_2275_zpsykdmc64j.jpg
First round of weathering/grime. Black & Espresso Brown acrylic paints used and sealed with Rust-Oleum 2X Matte Clear.

Update as of today (4/6/15):

Cleaned up most of the damage so it would "pop" a bit more. After looking at it for a few days as it was, I felt a lot of the physical damage and scrapes were getting lost in the weathering.
HELMET-DAMAGE-CLEANUP_zpszwjgaugh.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Liking the battle damage, you gonna carry through to the visor?

I haven't decided yet. It would definitely make the look of the helmet more "complete" though. I'll probably start with a few smaller chips/cracks and go from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Liking the battle damage, you gonna carry through to the visor?

I haven't decided yet. It would definitely make the look of the helmet more "complete" though. I'll probably start with a few smaller chips/cracks and go from there.

Great job with the weathering, a little too much for my liking, but good work;).....how did you get a photo of Thorin Oakensheild in a Dredd bucket??:eek:lol

Great job with the weathering, a little too much for my liking, but good work;).....how did you get a photo of Thorin Oakensheild in a Dredd bucket??:eek:lol

Thanks! I've always for some reason been a fan of more grungy, heavy weathering. As for the beard, the Justice Department is just pretty desperate nowadays... :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back