Ironman prime/paint tips

Gam3r

Hello all Ironman propmakers out there.. I have just ordered a helmet from PannausProps (facebook), and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. but it is a raw resin cast so I need to prime and paint and stuff first. So my question is this:

1: I see many of you prime with a type of grey paint, some do offwhite.. Why is this? Why not just do double layer of the color you want on the helmet?
2: Do I use metallic spraypaint, or regular paint and then clear coating on top?

Thanks for helping me out :)

-Gam3r-

Primer is a specific type of paint. It helps the top layers of paint adhere to the item you're painting. It also gives a solid, consistent color so your topcoat is even.

The clear coat is just a protective finish, it won't make anything "metallic" or "sparkle", if that's the look you're going for. In order to achieve that you'll need a metallic paint.

Primer gives an even base coat especially if you have bondo or something else that's a different color than the cast. Also helps paint stick better to the object.

Is there a specific paint code for the red that tends to be the most popular? For the face mask I'm going to go with the chrome gold, but not sure on the most movie accurate red. I know in Ironman 1 he said "hot rod" red

Either going to be an MK3 or MK7 helmet.
I just always thought the face mask was a shiny gold, but I want it to be as screen accurate as possible.
So im open to options for paint colors.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back