DeAgostini 1:1 Studio Scale Millenium Falcon Support Group and Info

You can't necessarily trust the Polly Scale versions of the Floquil colors. I tested Polly Scale Aged Concrete, and Reefer Gray against the Floquil paints and the acrylics were very different from the original enamels.

Thank you for the additional info Chris...one more question (sorry) I actually have a bottle of Polly Scale Boxcar Red (which is the exact same color as the Floquil Boxcar Red) but it is very much a 'brownish' red compared to the more 'maroonish' color seen on the falcon...it does not seem to be the right red color, perhaps it is the Floquil Caboose Red (see images below)

Polly Scale Boxcar Red / Floquil Boxcar Red
View attachment 477265View attachment 477266
Floquil Caboose Red
View attachment 477264

LrdSatyr8, thank you for that information as well...I am looking into those paints...but some of the colors seem to be missing on that site, there is no red or dark gray available?

imurme

I just noticed that too... from what I understand, the man behind those paints name is Andy and he took a few of them down because he ran out and is in the process of remixing a new batch. He didn't expect the popularity of them and didn't quite make enough. But he has the Caboose Red and the Dark Grey. There were 7 different colors in all and if I'm not mistaken he was working on a couple more.

Here's a chip chart I put together to test some various options for replicating the original Floquil enamels.

AT AT Chip Test.jpg

This test was for colors used on the AT-AT, but the differences will show that you need to be careful trusting anything right out of the bottle. I have all the original Floquil paints for the Falcon, and when I get a moment I plan to spray a chip chart so I can compare them to what's available now. I'll either mix my own acrylic colors with Tamiya paints or buy the ones LrdSatyr8 recommends.

MicroScale also has the following handy chart on their website for matching the original Floquil colors:

https://www.microscale.com/Floquil Color Chart.pdf

I haven't tested any of these but it's worth a look.

Last edited:
Here's a chip chart I put together to test some various options for replicating the original Floquil enamels.

View attachment 477285

This test was for colors used on the AT-AT, but the differences will show that you need to be careful trusting anything right out of the bottle. I have all the original Floquil paints for the Falcon, and when I get a moment I plan to spray a chip chart so I can compare them to what's available now. I'll either mix my own acrylic colors with Tamiya paints or buy the ones LrdSatyr8 recommends.

MicroScale also has the following handy chart on their website for matching the original Floquil colors:

https://www.microscale.com/Floquil Color Chart.pdf

I haven't tested any of these but it's worth a look.

Good to know VFX Freak...I would be VERY much interested in seeing any chip charts you may have or do on the Falcon colors.

imurme

You can't necessarily trust the Polly Scale versions of the Floquil colors. I tested Polly Scale Aged Concrete, and Reefer Gray against the Floquil paints and the acrylics were very different from the original enamels.

Darn, I have the Pollyscale paints. But all is not lost, looking at your comparisons it looks like the Pollyscale paints are just a tone or two lighter but the hue looks the same.

Any chance you could post up a comparison between the Floquil and Pollyscale Grime along with the other gray and red colours?

Any chance you could post up a comparison between the Floquil and Pollyscale Grime along with the other gray and red colours?

I have the Floquil Grime in enamel, and the Polly Scale acrylic Grime as well. I'll show those side by side too.

Looking at the list of colors for the Falcon it looks like the only one I don't have is Rust. Not sure how I let that one fall through the cracks. It's frustrating because I used all the Floquil paints as a kid when I was frying my brain in the basement without a respirator. Dozens and dozens of bottles all tossed when I moved away. Sigh.

I managed to get both the Floquil and PolyScale Reefer Yellow. The PS yellow is very close but brighter. The Floquil is deeper.

I think the reason I like Enamels over Acrylics is the fact that if you mix a color with enamels you will get that color from start to finish, but with acrylics, they tend to dry alot darker. Even thou Acrylics dry alottttttttt faster, they also don't stick as well without primer. Enamels tend to stick better without primer. Maybe I've just been spoiled with Enamels my whole life.

I managed to get both the Floquil and PolyScale Reefer Yellow. The PS yellow is very close but brighter. The Floquil is deeper.

Well I scoured some local hobby shops and bought about $200 worth of paint the other day. I did not find much Floquil paint, it was pretty well all sold out already. However, i did find most of the these colours in Pollyscale. I think the Pollyscale will be very close. Looks like it is a tad lighter but the hue is the same. Also bought some of the Modelmaster equivalents to the Floquil which have exactly the same names. The shop owner told me the Modelmaster versions will be pretty much bang on to the original Floquil paint colours. I think in all honesty though even if you have the exact Floquil paints it wll still be hard to get an exact match as all these colours had primer underneath and overspary of other colours on top of them. So depending on the density of the paint overtop the undercoat and the amount of overspray on any particular spot trying to match exactly will be difficult and will always require some degree of subjectivity.

I think in all honesty though even if you have the exact Floquil paints it wll still be hard to get an exact match as all these colours had primer underneath and overspary of other colours on top of them. So depending on the density of the paint overtop the undercoat and the amount of overspray on any particular spot trying to match exactly will be difficult and will always require some degree of subjectivity.

Completely agree. I think there's enough info here to get as close as possible, and that's all I care about. Besides, if a colour ends up being a bit brighter when it dries, it's just a matter of weathering it down, which is gonna happen anyway.

I just got my doa falcon colors today, took about a month to get shipped to the US. Only had a chance to compare grime to floquil grime and while it looks good, it's more of a tan than a grime. I'm not knocking it, just saying that to me it doesn't have the green hue that grime does.

After much experimenting I decided to keep it simple and use 2 parts Tamiya White and 1 part Tamiya deck tan as the base color. It's a great earthy hue, and after weathering with oils it warms up and darkens in a way that has that distinct falcon look to my eye.

It sure would help to see an image (photo) comparison between the two versions of the Floquil & PollyScale Reefer Yellow...I went to my local train shop, but all they had was the Model Master versions, I picked up the one labeled as Reefer Yellow but it seems VERY yellow...is that what the Floquil looks like?

If anyone has more of the other colors could we see compairisons between them them too? I need to see how close the Model Master colors are to Floquil...

It sure would help to see an image (photo) comparison between the two versions of the Floquil & PollyScale Reefer Yellow...I went to my local train shop, but all they had was the Model Master versions, I picked up the one labeled as Reefer Yellow but it seems VERY yellow...is that what the Floquil looks like?

This is the best photo I could get but it really doesn't show the depth of the colours. Many apologies, but the difference can be noticed. The actual colours are darker and more orangey-yellow than depicted, almost like the colour of processed yellow cheese.

8Oyeau.jpg
Top is Floquil Reefer Yellow, bottom is PolyScale Reefer Yellow.

While they're both very similar in hue, the PS has a brighter tint to it. The Floquil has a more mustardy paleness to it. The PS would be great if it was washed out a bit or maybe add a touch of white or cream colour to deepen it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pics Dart! That really does help, I can see the difference you mentioned, the PollyScale is more 'lemon' while the Floquil is more 'mustard', and it shows me that the Model Master version is not far off the Floquil color.

You're welcome, imurme. I spent a *lot* of time at the good hobby shop in town, comparing MM, Floquil, PolyScale and whatever else he had to find the closest matches. I still have one more shop to check out next week. Hoping to find a better replacement for the MM Flat Concrete that I purchased.

You're welcome, imurme. I spent a *lot* of time at the good hobby shop in town, comparing MM, Floquil, PolyScale and whatever else he had to find the closest matches. I still have one more shop to check out next week. Hoping to find a better replacement for the MM Flat Concrete that I purchased.

Dart, I'm interested in whatever you may find for that Flat Concrete match as well (or any Falcon color related matches), please keep us updated...I have also been frequenting the local Hobby/Train shop.

btw, did you catch this post on the forums: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=239807
...it is a great reference

Last edited by a moderator:
After much experimenting I decided to keep it simple and use 2 parts Tamiya White and 1 part Tamiya deck tan as the base color. It's a great earthy hue, and after weathering with oils it warms up and darkens in a way that has that distinct falcon look to my eye.

CR that is a good base color mix (2 parts Tamiya XF2 Flat White and 1 part Tamiya XF55 Deck Tan)...If you want to bring it a little closer to the Grime color try adding a drop or two of Tamiya XF12 J.N. Grey (maybe 9 parts Tamiya XF2 Flat White and 6 parts Tamiya XF55 Deck Tan with 1 - 2 parts Tamiya XF12 J.N. Grey)...this adds a bit of green to the mix, bringing it closer to the grime color used on the falcon...just thought I would mention it

CR that is a good base color mix (2 parts Tamiya XF2 Flat White and 1 part Tamiya XF55 Deck Tan)...If you want to bring it a little closer to the Grime color try adding a drop or two of Tamiya XF12 J.N. Grey (maybe 9 parts Tamiya XF2 Flat White and 6 parts Tamiya XF55 Deck Tan with 1 - 2 parts Tamiya XF12 J.N. Grey)...this adds a bit of green to the mix, bringing it closer to the grime color used on the falcon...just thought I would mention it
Thanks for taking the time to post. I will mix up a sample using your suggestion. I was originally thinking I would achieve the slight green tint by doing an oil wash during the weathering stage. Adding to the base color does seem a more straight forward way to go.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back