DeAgostini 1:1 Studio Scale Millenium Falcon Support Group and Info

Great !

Will you be using no-shrink resin?

I'll be looking into just about everything for all of my parts for this. Obviously i don't want shrinkage or warping or anything that is not 100%. I am all about quality, so basically i want the best results possible.

I have a few bits and pieces to make first, to make the whole thing go a lot smoother, so should be fun, :)

I was planning on getting at least a couple of Shapeways parts (like Tony's Passenger Seats and Cockpit Door and Envisaged Image's Hold Floor), but I wasn't aware that they could warp, become brittle, and generally "not age well."

If anyone makes parts out of resin (or other lasting material), either from molding Shapeways parts or from scratch, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Chris

I was planning on getting at least a couple of Shapeways parts (like Tony's Passenger Seats and Cockpit Door and Envisaged Image's Hold Floor), but I wasn't aware that they could warp, become brittle, and generally "not age well."

If anyone makes parts out of resin (or other lasting material), either from molding Shapeways parts or from scratch, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Chris

The Shapeways parts do hold up over time... you just got to make sure they are completely painted first!

3d shipment received. No more double pack. Only the small box on my doorstep. (USA)

You United States collectors have been so lucky until now - In the UK we've had them in plastic wrap from the beginning and most of my so called collectible magazines are a dog eared wreck.

On the good side - The model part's up till now are have all been received intact.

Regards.

Dave

You United States collectors have been so lucky until now - In the UK we've had them in plastic wrap from the beginning and most of my so called collectible magazines are a dog eared wreck.

On the good side - The model part's up till now are have all been received intact.

Regards.

Dave

Very true. We've been fortunate to get this far. Part-work and model building in general are on the decline in the states. Very glad to have folks like those on the RPF to keep it going. Your builds and expertise are my inspiration!

Packs are still arriving in cardboard boxes luckily. Magazines aren't wrapped, but at least protected.

For paint colors it was established years ago that the color the 32" falcon was painted in was straight Floquil Grime. Master Replicas ended up going with a 50/50 mix of grime and reefer white to more closely resemble the "on screen" look. For whatever reason the production pieces ended up about 4 shades darker than straight grime however, lol. Lightest panels are "concrete" sprayed lightly enough to be transparent in some places. The bluish grey panels are "primer". Rust is, well "rust." Have to dig into my paints for the others.

As for why Lorne Peterson might have said concrete? Well, I can't remember some stuff from two weeks ago so it would be hard to fault him for not recalling the exact color used on a model he worked on about 35 years ago. :)

Chris

Last edited:
What are the parts (non-metal, non-sticker, etc.) made of? I thought at first it was said to be resin, but the parts in the first set (first 4 issues) look injection-molded except that I don't see attachment points where it would connect to a tree. I also thought of ABS, but not even sure what the difference would be. I see faint ejector pin markings. Now that I just got the second set, I actually have parts trees, so styrene?

On another note, (I know this kit is based on the 32-incher, but...) how long was the 5-foot filming model? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I mean, was it exactly 5-feet?

Thanks,
Mike Todd

For paint colors it was established years ago that the color the 32" falcon was painted in was straight Floquil Grime. Master Replicas ended up going with a 50/50 mix of grime and reefer white to more closely resemble the "on screen" look. For whatever reason the production pieces ended up about 4 shades darker than straight grime however, lol. Lightest panels are "concrete" sprayed lightly enough to be transparent in some places. The bluish grey panels are "primer". Rust is, well "rust." Have to dig into my paints for the others.

As for why Lorne Peterson might have said concrete? Well, I can't remember some stuff from two weeks ago so it would be hard to fault him for not recalling the exact color used on a model he worked on about 35 years ago. :)

Chris

Great info Chris!

If you get a chance, I would like know about the colors used for the red and yellow panels as well as the darker gray panels too?

thanks,
imurme

Ok, here ya go.

Reefer Grey- Dark grey panels
Boxcar Red
Primer- Bluish grey panels
Rust
Reefer Yellow
Concrete- Lightest panels

For anyone tackling this paint job without a lot of experience I would suggest starting here and reading through Phil's painting of his custom 32" Falcon. He does a fantastic job and I'm sure there are some great tips in there. Also, search for anything by Moffeaten on the subject. Jason knows as much or more than anyone out there on the Falcon and he was part of the consulting team on the MR version.

Chris

Last edited:
Ok, here ya go.

Boxcar Red
Rust
Reefer Yellow

There is a company in UK that has blended the perfect colors for the Falcon including Floquil Grime which Floquil discontinued. I've seen some of the work that has been done on the various Falcon build using this color set and I gotta tell ya, it's spot on in my opinion. The link is on the first page of this thread but here it is again for those that might be interested.

http://trackpads.co.uk/swsshop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=3s2gpd05538f2qhbrej81o5s46

Ok, here ya go.

Boxcar Red
Rust
Reefer Yellow

For anyone tackling this paint job without a lot of experience I would suggest starting here and reading through Phil's painting of his custom 32" Falcon. He does a fantastic job and I'm sure there are some great tips in there. Also, search for anything by Moffeaten on the subject. Jason knows as much or more than anyone out there on the Falcon and he was part of the consulting team on the MR version.

Chris

Thank you for the additional info Chris...one more question (sorry) I actually have a bottle of Polly Scale Boxcar Red (which is the exact same color as the Floquil Boxcar Red) but it is very much a 'brownish' red compared to the more 'maroonish' color seen on the falcon...it does not seem to be the right red color, perhaps it is the Floquil Caboose Red (see images below)

Polly Scale Boxcar Red / Floquil Boxcar Red
Polly Scale Boxcar Red.jpgFloquil Boxcar Red.jpg
Floquil Caboose Red
Floquil Caboose Red.jpg

There is a company in UK that has blended the perfect colors for the Falcon including Floquil Grime which Floquil discontinued. I've seen some of the work that has been done on the various Falcon build using this color set and I gotta tell ya, it's spot on in my opinion. The link is on the first page of this thread but here it is again for those that might be interested.

http://trackpads.co.uk/swsshop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=3s2gpd05538f2qhbrej81o5s46

LrdSatyr8, thank you for that information as well...I am looking into those paints...but some of the colors seem to be missing on that site, there is no red or dark gray available?

imurme

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back