DeAgostini 1:1 Studio Scale Millenium Falcon Support Group and Info

I don't know MT... ask them! :) Personally I think the Candy Apple Red looks better, others like the Caboose Red. But there has been no evidence whatsoever that points to Boxcar Red. I like to think its more Rust Red. But it's no matter anyway seeing as the color red they used on the model isn't made anymore, and no matter what pics you go by each pic's lighting is different, so you end up with a close enough red regardless of what color red you use and unless you know exactly what brand and color that was used back in the 70's and have a paint sample of that red for color matching, every color you use is gonna be wrong! :)

Last edited:
I had always wondered if caboose red was the red used on the docking rings. Fine molds suggested russet which seems close to the parts we've gotten so far.

Then it's wrong... :(

The red is not caboose red but more likely box car red. :)

I was gonna say that too, the MR Falcon colours are probably wrong. The hull colour on the MR looks too light for sure.

I am going to try and hunt down some of the original Floquil paints that people have mentioned and see if I can figure something out with regard to determining some accurate colours.

I was gonna say that too, the MR Falcon colours are probably wrong. The hull colour on the MR looks too light for sure.

I am going to try and hunt down some of the original Floquil paints that people have mentioned and see if I can figure something out with regard to determining some accurate colours.

Yanno... you'd do us all a solid if you could get ahold of Steve Dymszo and convince him to share the list of colors that he Pantoned off the studio model I'm pretty sure if you asked real nice and all or promised him you'd be a good boy this year, he'd give em to ya!! :) LOL

Yanno... you'd do us all a solid if you could get ahold of Steve Dymszo and convince him to share the list of colors that he Pantoned off the studio model I'm pretty sure if you asked real nice and all or promised him you'd be a good boy this year, he'd give em to ya!! :) LOL

Sure, as soon as I get his phone number from you I'll call him right away!:)

I think if some these Floquil paints start to match up exactly with the colours on the Deago parts I'd say we are headed in the right direction at least.

By the way, I just received my FREE Binder. Wahoo!

It arrived relatively unscathed.

Sure, as soon as I get his phone number from you I'll call him right away!:)

I think if some these Floquil paints start to match up exactly with the colours on the Deago parts I'd say we are headed in the right direction at least.

I think that the guy Andy has made a pretty good set of colors that match the DeAgo colors pretty good. You might want to check em out.

By the way, I just received my FREE Binder. Wahoo! It arrived relatively unscathed.

Lucky you... mine ended up with a bent corner and what looks like a ding along the edge of the front. Oh well.

I think that the guy Andy has made a pretty good set of colors that match the DeAgo colors pretty good. You might want to check em out.

Lucky you... mine ended up with a bent corner and what looks like a ding along the edge of the front. Oh well.

Got one small bent corner as well..it's minor though.

Someone could try going into an established paint store (one that's been located in the same place for a long time maybe?) and ask if they have any reference books with the original colours? Maybe they haven't gotten rid of old stock? I doubt they'd have old paint tins lying around they would have been turfed long ago but reference books tend to be stashed away.

Someone could try going into an established paint store (one that's been located in the same place for a long time maybe?) and ask if they have any reference books with the original colours? Maybe they haven't gotten rid of old stock? I doubt they'd have old paint tins lying around they would have been turfed long ago but reference books tend to be stashed away.

That's a real longshot bud. Having worked in a hardware store that sold paint, we would rotate out stock that had been sitting on the shelf more then 3 years or so. Some paints don't have a very long shelf life and tend to harden in an unopened can. As for the reference books, it might be possible to find someone online who may have scanned in an old Floquil Paint reference book from the 60/70s, but highly unlikely. However if you find one, let us know bro!

A reference book would give you an idea of what colour is close to what you need. But to actually nail down the colour you would need an actual paint chip or something with the actual paint on it. The inks used in printing books will not be exactly the same as the actual paint, but would give you an idea of what would be close.

For example, looking at the Floquil paint chart off their website I would say that 'Rust' looks close to what red colour was used on the Falcon. But to actually say that IS the colour used is another story. The surest way would be to have a pantone colour chart and photograph it next to the actual model under the same lighting conditions.

The biggest problem with any scanned in color displayed on a computer monitor is the fact that no two monitors have the same color settings. And even if you printed them, you'd still be off because no two printers are set up the same way. The only way to get a true color match is holding up paint chips to the surface of the original kit and matching them that way. The only person that has actually done that is Steve Dymszo... and I highly doubt he's gonna share that information with the rest of us for free. So all we can actually do is go on rumor and try to match as best we can to the various photos that have been taken in different lighting conditions and hope we are happy with the result. However, I do believe we need a standard that everyone can agree on and the paint set that Andy came up with (see link on first post) looks awfully close to original colors and could possibly be a good way of starting a standardized color system for everyone's Falcon kits so everyone isn't always just trying to come up with their own color variations! Make sense?

That's funny you say that, because I have a the MR and I initially thought it was too dark when I first got it. :p

That's a real longshot bud. Having worked in a hardware store that sold paint, we would rotate out stock that had been sitting on the shelf more then 3 years or so. Some paints don't have a very long shelf life and tend to harden in an unopened can. As for the reference books, it might be possible to find someone online who may have scanned in an old Floquil Paint reference book from the 60/70s, but highly unlikely. However if you find one, let us know bro!

no worries mate. I started searching online for old unused paint and found some vintage floquil. One was definitely caboose red. I don't know myself which ones were used on the MF but I'll do a quick web search.

I wanna make my MF as accurate as possible!

I ordered a set of the falcon paints so I'll compare the grime to my floquil grime, might take a while to get it since I'm in the U.S.

no worries mate. I started searching online for old unused paint and found some vintage floquil. One was definitely caboose red. I don't know myself which ones were used on the MF but I'll do a quick web search.

I wanna make my MF as accurate as possible!

I do too... but when you factor in the fact that some of those paints are no longer made, you've got to come up with a alternate solution. As long as it is as close as possible to the original color I'm sure it'll be fine. I know one of the things I hate about Acrylics is the fact that you can mix up the perfect color, and when it dries it's always darker. Drives me nuts, because then you have to mix the paint lighter then it looks to compare to, and then wait for it to dry and hope the color matches properly.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back