What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

13680215dbbade9be294bcb3a1bb9da0.jpg

Not finished, but I am liking how it came out.

This is a budget build of the "All Spark" from Transformers. I've wanted one of these, since I saw the film in cinemas.
The 9" cube is recyled MDF (from my stash) and so far, this has cost me $6.70.

New Fifth Element Stone Templates all scaled to 9 inch tall.

9b7a20b18a25b81190931d0ab6705621.jpg

Based on how well the All Spark cube came out, I have decided to take another crack at the element stones.

I dropped more MDF (how did I end up with so much?) off to the board cutter for resizing. Probably won't be ready until next week, but I have 3 projects to do with that lot.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Heres something I should have never have started but now that is done I'm very happy with it. Bought a FE standard issue with the chrome finish to save money and then couldn't stand the chrome. About 2 years ago I sandblasted all the chrome off and got discouraged at the work involved and put it in a box. Couple weeks ago I dug it out and then sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded, polished, polished, polished, sanded, polished until I got this. WAY better, and now matches my noisy crickets finish. Fingers hurt though.

DSCN3308m.jpg
DSCN3315m.jpg
DSCN3316m.jpg

Heres something I should have never have started but now that is done I'm very happy with it. Bought a FE standard issue with the chrome finish to save money and then couldn't stand the chrome. About 2 years ago I sandblasted all the chrome off and got discouraged at the work involved and put it in a box. Couple weeks ago I dug it out and then sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded, polished, polished, polished, sanded, polished until I got this. WAY better, and now matches my noisy crickets finish. Fingers hurt though.

View attachment 709482
View attachment 709483
View attachment 709484

Bet you wished you just bought the exclusive non-chrome version. Lol.

This looks great tho! Almost like chrome... [emoji12][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the look of that radio. I need to get some pics but all I got is a few cold war era missile model kits, a lamp from the 1960s I need to figure out how to fix and that's about it really. I tossed out a lot of half projects and put other stuff in the yard sale pile.

Bet you wished you just bought the exclusive non-chrome version. Lol.

This looks great tho! Almost like chrome... [emoji12][emoji23]

I did regret it while I was doing it but now that its done I'm glad I didn't buy the EE. I was able to correct a few things like the super loose and sloppy side knob. Also I wanted to add the second top allen screw. Oh and another thing I wanted to do is contour the trigger guard. Most of the real props were contoured, the only one I have seen not was one that went to auction where it was just flat. . All the ones that I have seen in Rick Gamez' pics from when he made them had the contour. I'm just glad its done. Tired of seeing it in pieces in a Ziploc.

I did regret it while I was doing it but now that its done I'm glad I didn't buy the EE. I was able to correct a few things like the super loose and sloppy side knob. Also I wanted to add the second top allen screw. Oh and another thing I wanted to do is contour the trigger guard. Most of the real props were contoured, the only one I have seen not was one that went to auction where it was just flat. . All the ones that I have seen in Rick Gamez' pics from when he made them had the contour. I'm just glad its done. Tired of seeing it in pieces in a Ziploc.

Yeah well done mate. Well worth the time and effort. I have a pretty decent size collection, focusing on movie guns and this blaster (I just have the standard chrome version) is one of my all time favorite props. Love the feel, the weight and of course the functionality. Took it to a prop party recently and it was probably the most played with prop. Especially by the kids that came along. And by kids I mean actual kids. Not just the grown-up kind. Lol.

I recently landed one of the screen used MIB 3 monocycles. Thinking I might get it wrapped in chrome by one of those car wrapping places. I've seen a whole car done like that and it's pretty impressive.

I did a one day build (yesterday) of a FIGHTCLUB soap replica. Even though I did find these on ebay (made from real soap) I wanted something kids can't push their finger nails into. So I carved mine from MDF.

I found a nice clean image on the net, imported that into Sketch Up to draw the text template, converted that to JPEG at 1:1 for printing. Glued that to the MDF and started hacking away. I learned a neat trick yesterday. If you are wanting to cut a straight line with a hand held rotary tool, score the line with a sharp blade first, and the rotary tool doesn't seem to want to drift like it normally would. It just follows the score mark.

It is a bit rough and it looks like the soap has been used, but not too bad for hand cut. Finished with a coat of pink paint and some clear to seal. About 5 hours.

Attachments

• Fight Club Soap.jpg
    Fight Club Soap.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Fight Club Soap Template.jpg
    Fight Club Soap Template.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 16996042_1247852775304171_7746436936934937203_n.jpg
    16996042_1247852775304171_7746436936934937203_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 89
  • 16864224_1247852785304170_5409218137931625176_n.jpg
    16864224_1247852785304170_5409218137931625176_n.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20170224_165154.jpg
    20170224_165154.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 100

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back