Ken's Salzo Half Scale Battlestar

Tordoc

Sr Member
This is not really a build thread, just a thread so that I can show my work and get some critical feedback. All comments are welcome. I didn't start taking photos from the get go but you can see what I've done:

Basic plumbing pipe support for the main assembly. Lots of gaps soon to be filled with putty and greeblies. Hundreds of 0.75mm holes drilled and filled with fiber optics.

IMG_3515.JPGIMG_3516.JPGIMG_3517.JPGIMG_3518.JPGIMG_3527.JPG

Shapeways bridge drilled for 0.5mm FO:

IMG_3585.JPGIMG_3580.JPGIMG_3570.JPGIMG_3569.JPGIMG_3568.JPGIMG_3567.JPGIMG_3566.jpgIMG_3626.JPG

Engines with grill from honeycombgrids.com:

IMG_3662.JPGIMG_3661.jpgIMG_3640.JPGIMG_3639.JPGIMG_3663.jpg

extras:

IMG_3646.JPGIMG_3647.JPG

Battlestar guts:

IMG_3831.jpgIMG_3832.jpgIMG_3833.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3835.JPG
    IMG_3835.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
Awesome work so far Tordoc! I think your build is the first I've seen using Tony's bridge! Looking forward to your progress. Any idea on what color your going to use for the finish?

I bought some Tamiya Grey Fine Surface Primer on Amazon.ca and I'll see how that looks first. I don't want to have to mix custom colors because painting with an airbrush will take me forever but a rattle can is fast.

The build will slow down for a while until the weather improves. One landing bay top is a good 6mm longer than the other and I need to use the belt sander in my garage to fix it. It's still too cold here in Toronto.

In the mean time, I just fiddle. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the circuit board for the landing strip lights. It's bigger than I'd like... no room left.

Mine fits in the coffin area after sanding that cross member out. I like the Tamiya primer as well for the color.

Started up again. I was waiting for my Tamiya spray primer to arrive so that I could spray the bays before gluing them to the body.

I made a jig to help me align the 2 landing bays:

IMG_4809.jpg

They are flat and straight and parallel.

I then put the G on top and used sheet styrene under the arms to level the body. Once level, I glued it with 5 minute epoxy and flipped it over and sunk a screw thru the bay into each arm.

IMG_4811.jpgIMG_4810.jpg

It was such a beautiful morning here in Toronto so I decided to put a light dusting of primer on the top of the G. I have 90% of the greeblies attached. Still waiting for Troopers package.

IMG_4829.jpg

Here are some closeups so to can see the details I've added.

IMG_4818.jpgIMG_4819.jpgIMG_4820.jpgIMG_4821.jpgIMG_4822.jpgIMG_4823.jpgIMG_4827.jpgIMG_4826.jpgIMG_4825.jpgIMG_4824.jpgIMG_4828.jpg

Next I'm gonna turn this sucker over and start on wiring the landing bay lights.

Last edited:
No worries Trooper. I know it will get here.

After looking at the photos I see lots of rough edges and gaps that I could never see with my 50 year old eyes. Even after applying primer.

I think it looks better in person,... without glasses! LOL

i'll be the big five o in six months, I know all about the eyes. I have to use 7 and 10 power optivisors or I cant see my own fingerprints lol

That's not the only large seem I need to fill. I'm waiting till the end. Even though it's pretty solid, all the flipping over back and forth might crack it if I fill it now. It will eventually be filled with styrene and maybe some bondo.

Thanks. BTW, I am happy to receive all criticism, pointers and suggestions. I only do this for my own enjoyment and hope to learn from all my fellow modelers.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back