Tom's Kobold Saber and Mystery Saber

Yeah ... what mugatu said and then weather/scrape the wrinkle paint what NeoRutty said ... don't you love to have your cake and eat it too? :)

Chaim

thanks for the opinions guys! I decided to go with both. I sprayed black wrinkle on those two areas and it's curing right now....desk lamp, mirrors and foil wrapped around it, to boost the heat. There a side that doesn't seem to be wrinkling, but this paint takes forever to cure. The DV saber I have, a month later seemed to have smaller wrinkles than a week after painting.

I guess you followed the exact directions and sprayed in 3 different ways onto your subject before letting it cure?

Chaim

I did, and each direction I held it with pliers and turned it covering all sides. I think I may have missed one side during one of my 3 angles :D I went by the directions and sprayed that side again with an angle of my choosing to see if that helps. I can do it again in another couple hours, the thicker the better with this stuff.

Score on the physics equipment! Dude that crystal chamber is a great find. Are you going to light up a crystal in it?

Missed this question in passing - regretfully, the entirety of this counter is welded and sealed shut. I believe the long portion is either solid or filled with some heavy compound before being sealed, I could do some damage with this! I only have that open area, and I'm thinking I may at least put a crystal in there...maybe some reflective tape or something.

and it looks like one of those Kobold flashes was sold for $12 a while ago. Some pictures on that auction.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-034...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

my delivery date says June 18th now

Last edited:
Wrinkle paint has cured for 24 hours, it looks great! check it out.

Attachments

• DSCN3088.JPG
    DSCN3088.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3089.JPG
    DSCN3089.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3090.JPG
    DSCN3090.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3095.JPG
    DSCN3095.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3093.JPG
    DSCN3093.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3092.JPG
    DSCN3092.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3084.JPG
    DSCN3084.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3085.JPG
    DSCN3085.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
  • DSCN3086.JPG
    DSCN3086.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The wrinkle paint does look great :thumbsup
I found working with it very hard, and removed it three time from my kobold kit until I was satisfied ;)

You really should start thinking about some lighting of the crystal chamber, now.

Looks fantastic ... it still needs a little 'oemph' on the emitter though ... check your parts bin also for the reflectors and greeblies ... a shroud of some kind ... perhaps altered a little from the original?

A real MPP 2 step ... cut short i.e. :

Chaim

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of here is something like yoda,s shroud or the holiday saber. Since there is a flange, this feels like the lip of the saber

:D thank you! I really appreciate it, Roman's bubble strip really makes it stand out.

I have my eye out for crystals and little metal things to add to the top if I feel like it. I'm very pleased that the "innards" are exactly the length of the bulb socket to the D ring nuts, so this is heavy as hell and very solid feeling. The original flash was extremely light and thin, especially compared to a Graflex.

So, I am shifting gears a bit. My Kobold flash came in! Surprisingly, it's a 3 cell...for German batteries. That's right, it's about 1-2 inches shorter than a graflex, and only 1 inch in diameter. Here are some pics!

Attachments

• DSCN3124.JPG
    DSCN3124.JPG
    900.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN3121.JPG
    DSCN3121.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3120.JPG
    DSCN3120.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN3127.JPG
    DSCN3127.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • DSCN3128.JPG
    DSCN3128.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • DSCN3129.JPG
    DSCN3129.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • DSCN3131.JPG
    DSCN3131.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Was that original flash ever identified?
No! There's no maker stamp, or anything like that. I looked up the plug type, and I want to say German. The thin diameter also suggests similar batteries to this Kobold, not a UK or US make. That flash was obviously cheaply made too. The clamp wasn't symmetrical, there were cheap screws everywhere, the sidebars and lever didn't sit flush with one another and the threading for the endcap was thin. I almost want to say it was a generic or store brand.

There is a strong ball bearing bulb socket, exactly like the Kobold reflector clip we all know and love. Given then design, it looks like the tall socket from my other flash snaps in and screws tight! It looks excellent, and increases the length more to my liking. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 69
Tom,

Great job on your "Mystery Saber" project and nice find on the Mystery Flash unit!

To me, it has a mix of Prequel and OT style sabers all in one! Looks like a screen ready prop to me!

Wish we knew what brand it was!

- Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank Jim!

I found it really interesting that it broke at the clamp AND had a removable end cap.

This new one..I feel like I've hit a wall creatively. I need to find more cool parts! I was thinking of using Marv's track - the smaller diameter means less T track will fit, unless I use skinnier track.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back