Building a 4ft foam AT-AT

Familyman, I like your style. That's all I've got to say. The butt end of that AT-AT...I can't believe you cut all of that out of foam.

The details are amazing! :)

Thank you..

Here are some more pictures.
I legs have a metal rod going all the way through them to help support the weight, (simple foam legs would of bent). The feet will have a block of wood inside them to support the metal rods in the legs. I placed a piece of wood on top of each of the metal rods and this will allow me to screw the legs into the underneath of the body. DSCF5519.JPGDSCF5514.JPGDSCF5520.JPGDSCF5521.JPGDSCF5531.JPGDSCF5533.JPG

Some more updates.
I have been brainstorming a lot this past week trying to figure out how to support the legs, I was tempted to screw the top of the legs into the underbelly for stability, but I decided I first wanted to try and make this as accurate a possible, so I have made the extra piece that the legs fix in to and then I will screw all of that in to the underbelly. I am a little worried about the stability of the whole thing, but I will see how it goes and if it doesn't look like it will work then I will just go back to the more stable way. The feet have a block of wood all the way through them I did this because I may screw the feet down on to a piece of board and then decorate the board to look like terrain. I am using ABS pipe to join the front legs together and the back legs and I will be screwing then into the underbelly, They will not be glued because I want to be able to remove them for transporting and storage. I like to use ABS pipe because it is strong, easy to cut and light weight. for supports in the hip area I have used metal shelving strips, they already have holes to screw through and are really strong, plus they are pretty easy to cut. Here is what I have so far. DSCF5560.JPGDSCF5612.JPGDSCF5613.JPGDSCF5614.JPGDSCF5617.JPGDSCF5618.JPGDSCF5619.JPG

All the Ankles are now done, and most of the details on the legs is finished. I still need to do make the support rods for the feet.
I raided my daughters bead bucket for some good sized beads to use as bolts.DSCF5620.JPGDSCF5621.JPGDSCF5632.JPGDSCF5633.JPGDSCF5637.JPGDSCF5650.JPGDSCF5651.JPG

It stands!. The legs are not screwed in perfectly just yet, They are just held in with small screws. I did this so I could get the spacing right, now I know where everything fits I will work on the underbelly and then the legs will be bolted on in a way that I can remove them for storage and traveling. I still need to do the foot supports and a base for it to stand on as well. And once all that is done I can finally paint it so it no longer looks like it belongs in the 60's. These photos show just how big it is, the toy AT-AT next to it is the new "larger" scale AT-AT Hasbro released a few years ago.
DSCF5663.JPGDSCF5662.JPGDSCF5660.JPGDSCF5664.JPGDSCF5665.JPGDSCF5666.JPGDSCF5670.JPGDSCF5671.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....1073741882.337054186360760&type=3&uploaded=8

Oh wow, that is insanely cool. Incredible use of foam as a medium. And you're right it does look like it's straight outta the 60's, Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Walker hahaha

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back