XCV-330 Enterprise model

mmhnc

Hi everyone! Hard to believe but this is my first post after years of lurking. Recently I have been looking for some large scale models to hange up in my home shop, while strolling EBay today I came across a 1/350 scale XCV-330 Enterprise kit from Fantastic Plastic;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Declaration...308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1c4faf9124

And as it goes with people like us I found inspiration. From my searches this company is the only one offering a kit and it is long out of beeing made, so I guess it's up to me to make it myself. The shapes are simple and I have lots of experience from spending years making prototypes for an automotive company.

So my goal is to make this somewhere around 30" long with 9" rings but I haven't worked out scale yet.

I will plan to update this post with research and and progress but if there is anyone who has input feel free. I have attached some of the art that I belive was from Enterprse. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Did a little more digging and it looks like the company that did the desk models for "In To Darkness" QMX is offering a finished version, but it's to small for me and it's over $1300. I think I'm going to start designing tonight. I will post updates. Also attached is a pic of the QMX model

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 226
unfortunately that is a recurring theme with QMx... I love their stuff but its just unaffordable. Their target customer seems to be only people that have a true love of the subject AND tons od disposable income... I have the first but not the later... I f I win the lottery I'll be their number 1 customer :). until then I'll have to figure out how to build what I want myself on a reasonable budget ;)

Have you tried to contact fantastic plastic? they may have something that is just not listed on their site... just a thought.

Jedi Dade

Ok did my first scale sketch tonight, I think the rings need to be wider and the tower a bit thicker on the bottom. A little strange doing this by hand since I spend all my day in the world of CAD, but wanted to start this out on paper.image.jpg

Ok I familiarized myself with Sketchup tonight, a bit diffrent than the software I'm used to but was easy enough after a couple tutorials. Expect models later this week!

Might want to try to contact Doug Drexler to see if he can help you.
The third image in your first post is from his Ships of the Fleet calender.
He used to work in ST as well as BSG.

edit.
Here's his Vimeo page.

Last edited:
That looks awesome so far, It's still in CAD working out some finer details, I'm trying to decide if I ant to scratch build everything or if I have some of the more complicated parts 3D printed. I'm currently working on a couple of other projects but as soon as I get back to this O will post some progress pictures. Thanks for watching

Well I'm currently working on 2 Halloween costumes for my little boys so I'm probably not going to have time to get back to this until the end of October. But I assure you I think about this project every day. I appreciate you continuing to check in.

Well I'm currently working on 2 Halloween costumes for my little boys so I'm probably not going to have time to get back to this until the end of October. But I assure you I think about this project every day. I appreciate you continuing to check in.

Sure thing. I understand. Family first.:cool
-Jim G.G.

Thanks for checking in, I really need to get back on this one, with my Christmas projects wrapping up I should spend some time on this one. Keep me in your subscription list and hopefully I should have some updates soon. :)

Update!!!! Ok not a big update but I really wanted to get started on this, I'm going to have 1 or 2 nights a week where I can start working on this guy so here is the first step, a full size templet of the tower. it's over a foot tall, just as I originally planed I'm designing this to be about 30" long, but the rings are going to be a lot bigger than I originally thought, looks like they are going to be about 20" in diameter.
image.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back