lighting the klingon D-7 Atomic city

mr.predicta

since this kit was cast hollow Im assuming its was designed to be lit .
The problem is one of the main sections that would benefit from lighting is cast solid, this is the forward flat bridge section .
On the Tv props they were never lit probably because of dead lines and the cost such a detail would involve.
lets face it this thing is too way cool not to give it a try and since I spent years doing a faithful lit TOS enterprise this one should go quite a bit faster.
Im going with white LED's and a strobe flashing circuit plus a glowing photon tube.
Im probably going with the three color paint job it just looks more interesting than plain Grey.IMO :)
I will take some of the lighting cues from the movie version but not over do it I want it be a subtle trade off between the two.

lots of dremel work.
using the reference on the IDIC pages and a few shots that have turned up in other topics I have positioned the window areas and drilled a few of them out. most of the round lights will be fiber optics the rest will be chopped out with an xacto and filled with epoxy.
more to come
MSL

Last edited:
:thumbsup
Looking forward to the end result - and obviously the steps to get there.

Howard.

Mike-

You are a glutton for punishment.

Don't forget, that opening on the front of the bridge was a sensor housing in the series and didn't become a photon torpedo tube until TMP. At least that's what I've been told by the experts.

Scott

You are a glutton for punishment!

Yes indeed I am!

Don't forget, that opening on the front of the bridge was a sensor housing in the series and didn't become a photon torpedo tube until TMP. At least that's what I've been told by the experts!

Scott

I have a good shot showing this detail and Yes I had a good talk with our neighborhood Expert and he said the same thing so I guess no torpedo tube lighting on this one. :p
here is a good shot of the original before the grey paint job showing the sensor

Last edited:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Apr 9 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]1458820[/snapback]</div>
That's supposed to be the original miniature? :confused
[/b]

yup its the real thing and here are more shots

Last edited:
Here are more Smithsonian photos the first batch are of the Klingon model in its original two tone condition.
these I believe are from the Star trek poster magazine from the late 70's.
The story on this one is its the original Gene Roddenberry had on his desk as used on screen. it is stated on the IDIC pages that both the AMT prototype and the studio model were painted in the same2 color scheme by Gene Winfield the custom car designer in his Hollywood shop .This is the only existing original paint job from the two built and was never repainted .

Last edited:
here are a few shots of the alteration I am doing to the bridge section.
I spent yesterday cutting out the windows.Tonight I plan on filling them with epoxy and then lighting the sucker up!

Last edited:
now from the same poster magazine from the late 70's showing the repaint of Jefferey's for Phase II.
which was sent back from the Smithsonian.
so this model is the one Jefferey's had originally in the 2 tone paint job then it was donated to the Smithsonian sent back to Paramount repainted Grey for phase II sent back to the Smithsonian then ED Miarecki took his paint brush to it and did his now famous research and three tone paint job .see my post in Lynn TXP # 39 :confused

Last edited:
last but not least photos from Profiles in history of the original unmolested gene Roddenberry/Stephen Whitfield
studio screen used Klingon Battle wagon.
Note the dark pin heads placed along the leading edge on the top of the model in the second photo.
these are the "beads" used to hang the miniature for filming ,these are only present on this two colored prop and not on the Grey painted version .

Last edited:
Hm... I googled up the AMT D-7 instructions but I don't see anything about 2-tone paint.

KlingonModelSheet_A.gif

KlingonModelSheet_B.gif

OK I guess I have to break down and admit that the two tone paint scheme was the one - since the damn piano wire was still attatched... thanks for thoser pics.

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Apr 10 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]1459253[/snapback]</div>
Where do you see piano wire?
[/b]

Its noted in the description of the cobra head post # 8 and you can see it in the poster magazine much better than my scans but here is an enlargement with arrows pointing to the spots where the hanging "beads" are affixed to the model's Hull and as I said before this is the only model that is virtually untouched as it was when it was used for photography and still has evidence that it was built to be hung from cables.
what more do you need? :lol

Last edited:
Well, someone still could have repainted it after the wires were snipped (but without leveling them off/filling)...but I agree it's a pretty good indication. ;)

for the two tone paint job Scott over at Atomic city has this formula

For the Gray-over-Green paint scheme you will need this:

Green
Tamiya XF-21 - 1 part
Tamiya XF-23 - 2 parts

Gray
Tamiya XF-66

Im going to give it a try soon and will post the results here.

D-7 lit!!!

got around to working on the cobra head since this is the largest piece that will be going under the knife I concentrated on finishing this part .
the whole thing can still be disassembled so I can still work on the rest of the ship without damaging anything.
The bridge is lit with 3 white LED's the lower section with two.all the round sections are fitted with fiber optics.
notice the flawless upper bridge section I replaced to dremel out the resin. nice huh?
went with Scott's color suggestion and Im not sure if its correct it seems a bit dark but its too late now.

Last edited:
WOW! :eek Lights sure can make all the difference in a model. Take a ship like that, which looks rather plain, add lights and -- it just comes to life. Fantastic! :D

now from the same poster magazine from the late 70's showing the repaint of Jefferey's for Phase II.
which was sent back from the Smithsonian.
so this model is the one Jefferey's had originally in the 2 tone paint job then it was donated to the Smithsonian sent back to Paramount repainted Grey for phase II sent back to the Smithsonian then ED Miarecki took his paint brush to it and did his now famous research and three tone paint job .see my post in Lynn TXP # 39 :confused

Those Poster Book shots are from the Smithsonian when the model was unpacked after initial receipt from Matt Jeffries, 11/7/1973. This was long before Phase II and it had not been repainted in those pictures.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back