Alternatives to Wool for Jedi Robes (Wool Allergy)

RobHand51

Hi everyone,

Finally signed up to here after seeing the amazing work you guys do. I'm in the process of designing a Jedi Sentinel costume, such as one might find in The Old Republic side of things, and was wondering if any of you would recommend a fabric that has the look of wool, but not as I have a wool allergy. I reckon acrylic, but maybe a thick cotton would do the trick. You guys would know a lot better than I would. Any help would be amazing.

Thanks, Rob.

Hi Rob,

And welcome aboard ... I'm just working on another jedi robe which is rather thick in fabric but I reckon made out of some sort of brown fleece instead of wool ... and though it looks heavy it's remarkable light to wear compared to any of my wool robes :)

Chaim

You could try to find a thick poplin or perhaps a silk blend thats very low in wool which might be low enough to off set the allergy. Another option would be to make sure the robe is lined in a material you can normally wear.

Cotton flannel or a thick cotton moleskin would work depending on the weave you're trying to match. Also a great alternative to wool for hot weather.

Heard kevin smith on a podcast, the Nerdist I think, talking about his silent bob coat. He said the original was an off the rack winter coat but the production made several copies including one made out of a felt that still had the look but was lightweight for when it was hot.

Holy cow, thanks for all the responses, you guys! I'll look into all the recommendations, and figure out what suits me best!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back