Because the SE recomposited all of the individual elements for a lot of effects shots, especially on Hoth. Sometimes things weren't lined up exactly the way the were the first time. The Despecialized versions make a point of going back to the original shots if anything at all was changed in them. Not just reversing added new CG stuff, but also relocated/timed elements. If there's a difference, back to the original it goes. The original composites WERE blurrier. That's just part of having it (almost) all-original.

Ok, having watched them totally through, ESB looks great. Some soft looking shots in the carbon freeze chamber. Sound is solid.

ROTJ sound is as good as the others, undemonstrative, not flashy, but works. I wish the dialogue was forward more.

Unfortunately, crushed blacks are a noticeable issue in a few scenes. Now I'll take some black crush over the awful official blu ray, but it IS there.

Super, super, ecstatically happy with these. If I can figure how to video review I'll post a link.

At this point I would take the SE versions if they could just fix the colors and blacks... in Dolbyvision and HDR10 4k

Even though I'd mostly like the theatrical release in 4k. It would make sense to have a 6 disk set with both versions...

& some of that CG looks more dated than the effects that it was supposed to replace

J

This ^!!!!!
I couldn't agree more. If Disney needs any reason to go back and redo the OT its the graphics. Watched on the newer flat screens they absolutely date and make the movie look terrible in a way the originals didn't. ANH suffers the worst of it, that Jabba Falcon scene makes me cringe now, followed closely by the desert trooping and the ride into Mos Esley. TESB was a better pass as this had the least done to it, whilst ROTJ ,if they had taken out the Jabba palace band sing a long out, might actually have been an improvement

ANH suffers the worst of it, that Jabba Falcon scene makes me cringe now,
First now ? The first CGI Jabba was so bad that they remade the effect for the DVD release. But the second was still really bad.
(Not to mention all the other non effects-related problems with the scene ...)

I'll never understand why they didn't cut to a close up of Jabba's face, his eyes turning to follow Solo, then cut back to Solo on the other side. Sure some pedantic nerd might have been all "What, did Solo STEP on Jabba's tail? Haw haw haw, snort!" But it would have been a hell of a lot better than SHOWING Solo step on Jabba's tail. What a silly moment, an insult to both characters, and a CG botch job.

Plus spacially it just doesn't work. When Han points at Jabba's chest, his hand should be, like, inside Jabba if you are to believe that they are standing that close to each other.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I'll never understand why they didn't cut to a close up of Jabba's face, his eyes turning to follow Solo, then cut back to Solo on the other side. Sure some pedantic nerd might have been all "What, did Solo STEP on Jabba's tail? Haw haw haw, snort!" But it would have been a hell of a lot better than SHOWING Solo step on Jabba's tail. What a silly moment, an insult to both characters, and a CG botch job.

That scene was cut from the original because it wasn't needed. Han's relationship with Jabba is established in the cantina with Greedo.
EVERY change made in the SE was unnecessary and only detracts from the viewing experience.
Star Wars :Revisited by Adywan does a better job of addressing the limitations of 1970s movie making as well as fixing continuity errors, jump cuts, palettes etc. Re edited scenes that flow better with subtle ties to the PT and the removal of some SE changes (sadly not all). Best of all though, Chewie gets a medal.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Revisited by Adywan is the only copy of ANH I ever watch anymore. I consider it the definitive "special edition".

Yes it's great! I want it on bluray. Hopefully his ESB is out soon. It's been a long wait! Then hopefully after RotJ, he can go back and remove that awful music during the Vader/Kenobi duel. That's the only thing that bothers me about the Revisited.

That scene was cut from the original because it wasn't needed. Han's relationship with Jabba is established in the cantina with Greedo.
EVERY change made in the SE was unnecessary and only detracts from the viewing experience.
Star Wars :Revisited by Adywan does a better job of addressing the limitations of 1970s movie making as well as fixing continuity errors, jump cuts, palettes etc. Re edited scenes that flow better with subtle ties to the PT and the removal of some SE changes (sadly not all). Best of all though, Chewie gets a medal.

View attachment 733411

Plus, seeing the Falcon before Luke sees it is kinda disappointing. The audience should see it first with Luke. "What a piece of junk!"

What? Editing the SE back to the theatrical cut is one thing, but those changes really cross the line. Go out and make your own movie at that point.

Yeah gotta agree on this one...

I enjoy cuts that maybe spoof or have fun with the flick (Auralnauts), but attempting to make it BETTER yourself is just lame.

View attachment 733411

I agree, though I love seeing 6 greedo's all dressed the same waiting for Han to come out of the falcon...

What aggravates me the most is the same dialogue is JUST said in he cantina to greedo... the scene even seeing the first time in the theater was just to clunky "didn't we just hear this line for line?!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's great! I want it on bluray. Hopefully his ESB is out soon. It's been a long wait!
I expected Adywan's ESB edit to be done in 2010 ... according to his teaser trailer released the year before.
But then he got delusions of grandeur and decided to build his own physical set of the space slug asteroid and a Millenium Falcon model, shoot footage with troopers in a snowy landscape and I don't know what else because I stopped caring ...

I expected Adywan's ESB edit to be done in 2010 ... according to his teaser trailer released the year before.
But then he got delusions of grandeur and decided to build his own physical set of the space slug asteroid and a Millenium Falcon model, shoot footage with troopers in a snowy landscape and I don't know what else because I stopped caring ...

Hahahahaha!!

Yeah gotta agree on this one...

I enjoy cuts that maybe spoof or have fun with the flick (Auralnauts), but attempting to make it BETTER yourself is just lame.

Basically what I'm hearing of this Adywan person is that he's a digital recaster. Surprised at the support he's getting.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back