If this is the case, Fox is producing the physical discs and the digital copy of ANH and Disney can release digital ESB and ROTJ.

So, basically the cross-licensing deal we'd speculated on earlier. Still seems unlikely, but if Disney thinks there's sufficient demand, maybe it's worth it. Or maybe Fox isn't seeing a lot of benefit to its physical disc sales lately, given the market saturation.

Well,.....I did say I was sure they would come to an agreement,....it is a big anniversary,....but i got shot down every time

Hopefully this is true,...& I can have Star Wars in my Blu-Ray collection

J

So, basically the cross-licensing deal we'd speculated on earlier. Still seems unlikely, but if Disney thinks there's sufficient demand, maybe it's worth it. Or maybe Fox isn't seeing a lot of benefit to its physical disc sales lately, given the market saturation.

I think in general the value of the properties to Fox, the physical distribution media rights, is seen as a depreciating asset as more original SW content comes to market. They may want to monetize it now and reap whatever benefit they can. Disney will have all rights in a few years but I still don't see them paying Fox a huge sum for ANH distribution rights. That likely will remain at Fox. And let's face it, their studio revenue hasn't been so hot the last few years.

- - - Updated - - -

Well,.....I did say I was sure they would come to an agreement,....it is a big anniversary,....but i got shot down every time

Hopefully this is true,...& I can have Star Wars in my Blu-Ray collection

J

I don't recall what the speculation was but what never made sense was Disney purchasing back the rights for ESB and ROTJ when the reversion is going to occur holistically in a few years. An as I said above, ANH is never likely to be a solely owned Disney product.

I think in general the value of the properties to Fox, the physical distribution media rights, is seen as a depreciating asset as more original SW content comes to market. They may want to monetize it now and reap whatever benefit they can. Disney will have all rights in a few years but I still don't see them paying Fox a huge sum for ANH distribution rights. That likely will remain at Fox. And let's face it, their studio revenue hasn't been so hot the last few years.

Yeah, that makes sense. The value of just the SE discs is extremely limited at this point, I'd think. Most people who would buy them...bought them. Most people who didn't buy them are holding out for the original releases. Plus, the kids will be more into the new stuff, and Fox has no control over that. The best they could hope for is to keep fiddling with the box art each time a new film comes out. Plus, the value of physical discs is diminishing anyway as digital streams start to catch up in terms of visual and audio quality.

Anyway, it'd be nice if it happens, but I won't hold my breath.

Some speculation on what ANH may look like from Jeremy Conrad:
"Unaltered OT: It’ll likely be the 1981 ANH scroll without the title (the 81 and 77 scrolls are formatted differently) w/ recent audio fixes. it’ll look like what people remember, but won’t be the exact ’77 version. That one would be too different both in audio and other ways."

Why do I have the feeling people still won't be happy with this and it's just a fools errand?

I'll believe it when I see it on store shelves. As much as I would love to own this I don't see it being a real possibility. It's unfortunate but these rumors have been circulating the web for decades now so until it's literally in stock at my local stores, I don't buy into the rumors.

"Unaltered OT: It’ll likely be the 1981 ANH scroll without the title (the 81 and 77 scrolls are formatted differently) w/ recent audio fixes. it’ll look like what people remember, but won’t be the exact ’77 version. That one would be too different both in audio and other ways."

Why do I have the feeling people still won't be happy with this and it's just a fools errand?

I'd be thrilled to have any pre-SE version.

Yes I'd be happy with the pre-SE,....but as far as the '77 version.....there were differences in versions even back then,....so I agree with Bryan, I think no matter what there will still be unhappy folks.....

...also, if this is the Reliance Media clean-up,....we have seen samples of how it doesn't compare well to Mike Verta's colours.......but I will rest & be proud of whichever unaltered version they hopefully release

J

Yes I'd be happy with the pre-SE,....but as far as the '77 version.....there were differences in versions even back then,....so I agree with Bryan, I think no matter what there will still be unhappy folks.....

...also, if this is the Reliance Media clean-up,....we have seen samples of how it doesn't compare well to Mike Verta's colours.......but I will rest & be proud of whichever unaltered version they hopefully release

J

A privately made edition may be better (albeit more expensive), but I think at this point I'm going less for perfection, and more for "good enough." Color timing doesn't have to be perfect. And I suspect a lot of that depends heavily on ow much people tweak their own sets anyway.

Audio mixes, of course, will vary. Remember, the "Close the blast doors!" line is something that appeared in (I think) the mono edit, but not in the stereo edit. Other stuff like that pops up here and there.

I can't speak for anyone else, but here's my take: I want, basically, a modernized, high-res version of the VHS experience I had when I was 5. I don't mean that it has to be perfectly faithful to the abstract memory that I have, but it needs to bear a serious degree of similarity. I've seen Harmy's 1.0 version and I like it quite a bit (although the sound doesn't seem to be surround for whatever reason). If I can get something that good or better, I'll be happy. I'm less concerned with "Star Wars" vs. "Episode IV: A New Hope." I'm less concerned with whether this or that line from the mono or stereo mix is in. I'm more concerned with technical fixes like getting rid of garbage mattes, but not going overboard, like creating "glowbats" instead of the look of the sabres in the copy I saw. I don't care quite as much about seeing the wooden dowel in that one shot with Obi-Wan, but if they fix it, fine. Just keep stuff like that to a minimum and focus more on cleaning up rather than "enhancing."

I trust Reliance to do this, because they did an AMAZING job with the Bond set a few years back. North by Northwest is pretty sweet as well. They do good work, as long as LFL doesn't cock it up like they did with the '04 releases (and then especially try to act like "It's not a bug, it's a feature!").

Also:
"Oh and before anyone starts bogus 4K rumors:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and TPM can be done in 4K.

AOTC and ROTS can not."

You know, I'd forgotten that TPM was shot on film! Mostly because I try to forget about TPM altogether. :p

The public's feelings about an OOT re-release will break down like this:

0.01% - They (we) will be nitpicking everything to the point where we each need our own custom-tailored version to be satisfied.

4.99% - Mostly satisfied with it. They will be pleased that the color timing finally looks decent. They will feel it's worth losing the SE's improved space battles for that.

95% - "You had me at 'Han shoots first again."

While all but one scene in TPM was shot on film, it was scanned at 1080 (or at least the other prequels were shot at 1080...at best, TPM was scanned at 2K). I think they said there was only one shot in the entire film that wasn't tinkered with digitally in some way, and even that was scanned in just to keep it part of the same pipeline. (Everything was then output back to film.)

So to do TPM in 4K they'd have to redo every single digital effect. Every shot in the film but one.

edit: well, I guess they'd just 4K scan the existing negative and call it a day, never mind that its source was a much lower resolution.

Also:
"Oh and before anyone starts bogus 4K rumors:

ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and TPM can be done in 4K.

AOTC and ROTS can not."

Last edited:
If this is going to happen then it probably will be saved as announcement during C8

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back