Anyway, Kathleen Kennedy's laurels notwithstanding, I think this pretty much closes the book on any near-future possibility for the OOT on home media. It's possible she'd have a change of heart, or that she'd step down, but I doubt that'll happen in the near or even mid future.

We'll see what happens if/when there's a 4K release (I think 4K panels need to be much more widely adopted before that happens, in spite of what other studios are doing), but I'd bet they'll just use software upscalers for the native 1080p content, meaning no chance at an OOT. There may be an archival copy preserved digitally for internal "Disney vault" purposes, but it doesn't sound like LucasFilm is gonna be releasing it to the public any time soon.

Nah man KK is a big shot, and does her job well. Like someone said, she has been top brass for the last 30 years on amazing movies. The role of producer is the one that gets the crew together, and have a lot of clout. Typically the executive producer is the one thats a liason for the studio, and deals with money stuff. Kathleen Kennedy is a titan of the industry.

Maybe I read some of her comments at the wrong time in movie history, but i dunno. seems like just another money manager too me.
I started out with no opinion, then formed one rather quickly ;o).

but, that's my ill informed opinion. other ill informed opinions may vary, and the internet is full of them ;o).....and who knows, i very well could be wrong ;o).

If you listen to the interview.....he says...."Star Wars is a film that changes,...it's evolved over time,...Is there a contractual or a handshake agreement that the films are locked in their current form?

KK replies,...."No there's no one actually locking us into anything, in fact the beauty of this relationship with the Walt Disney company is that they have been absolutely fantastic at standing back and pretty much letting us do what we want....."

He buts in"....ah,.....sorry I mean like, the vision of George's final cut of the film that he left us with, like whether that might be altered over time?"

She replies,..."I haven't touched those, are you kidding me? Those remain his"

Thats it....All she said was that they aren’t going to do any more revisions, which is pretty much just common sense and shouldn’t be news to anyone.

J

Last edited:
If you listen to the interview.....he says...."Star Wars is a film that changes,...it's evolved over time,...Is there a contractual or a handshake agreement that the films are locked in their current form?

KK replies,...."No there's no one actually locking us into anything, in fact the beauty of this relationship with the Walt Disney company is that they have been absolutely fantastic at standing back and pretty much letting us do what we want....."

He buts in"....ah,.....sorry I mean like, the vision of George's final cut of the film that he left us with, like whether that might be altered over time?"

She replies,..."I haven't touched those, are you kidding me? Those remain his"

Thats it....All she said was that they aren’t going to do any more revisions, which is pretty much just common sense and shouldn’t be news to anyone.

J

It's still a pretty strong implication that she isn't going to authorize the release of a version that directly goes against what Lucas' wishes were with respect to the property. His view is basically that the Special Editions are his ideal version of Star Wars (continual tweaks notwithstanding). So, the 2012 blurays...are it. They're the apotheosis of his vision. The OOT is not. It is, in his own words, a "flawed" version of that story.

So, the question becomes whether LucasFilm, helmed by Kennedy, would release the OOT to the public. I don't mean replace the SEs with the OOT, but rather just release them alongside the SEs. From her statement, it's reasonable to infer that the answer is "no." That said, if she was interpreting the question as something like "Are you going to continue to tweak them, or add things like an aged Ewan MacGregor when he gets to be Guiness' age?" then the answer is a clear no, without commenting on the OOT. But I still think it's a longshot, based on her comments and other factors discussed in this thread.

The possibility still remains, of course. I'm just not really holding onto a lot of hope for it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm certainly not, at this point, expecting LFL to release the OOT in modern home media formats. It could happen, I just don't expect it.

The possibility still remains, of course. I'm just not really holding onto a lot of hope for it. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm certainly not, at this point, expecting LFL to release the OOT in modern home media formats. It could happen, I just don't expect it.

I'd love to see an official release of the OOT but until that day comes (if ever), I'm pretty happy with the Despecialized Editions. There are some great cover/insert sets out there as well full-blown documentary/extra content formatted and disc ready for "physical-media" freaks like me. :) Main feature and some extras are on a 50GB BR and the documentaries are on a 25GB BR. It's hard to say if an official release would even have the attention to detail that Harmy's versions do.

I need those physical copys in my life...

I would walk across fire for 4K versions!!!

I bought the BS BR official versions and have only sat through them once. They ARE a mess. Just like Mike V said. Even just the issue of color correction is a pathetic disservice to the original way these ARE supposed to look!

I need those physical copys in my life...

I would walk across fire for 4K versions!!!

I bought the BS BR official versions and have only sat through them once. They ARE a mess. Just like Mike V said. Even just the issue of color correction is a pathetic disservice to the original way these ARE supposed to look!

DVDs/blu-rays truly look horrendous :(

with that in mind:
:p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still a pretty strong implication that she isn't going to authorize the release of a version that directly goes against what Lucas' wishes were with respect to the property. His view is basically that the Special Editions are his ideal version of Star Wars (continual tweaks notwithstanding). So, the 2012 blurays...are it. They're the apotheosis of his vision. The OOT is not. It is, in his own words, a "flawed" version of that story.

So, the question becomes whether LucasFilm, helmed by Kennedy, would release the OOT to the public. I don't mean replace the SEs with the OOT, but rather just release them alongside the SEs. From her statement, it's reasonable to infer that the answer is "no." That said, if she was interpreting the question as something like "Are you going to continue to tweak them, or add things like an aged Ewan MacGregor when he gets to be Guiness' age?" then the answer is a clear no, without commenting on the OOT. But I still think it's a longshot, based on her comments and other factors discussed in this thread.

HOPE is the message we got from Rogue One,.....& I won't let go of hope.....I guess I'm a positive type of person

You're probably right of course,...but I'd just like to hang on

J

KK and co are often saying 'we are listening to the fans' but they seem to turn a deaf ear on this subject.

I wonder how how they would promote the release without giving GL the finger.

KK and co are often saying 'we are listening to the fans' but they seem to turn a deaf ear on this subject.

I wonder how how they would promote the release without giving GL the finger.

didn't they do that already by saying they'd listen to his ep 7 ideas in a video? or am I and my un informed opinion mis remembering the positivity? ;o)

I know I'm jumping in a little late but I have to jump in, the original Star Wars in the Blue Ray 6 pack.....I don't like the added CG charaters at all....liked the movies the way they were, if I had know that this was going to happen I would have done a little more research to find the unaltered versions, I think it makes them more like the episode 1-3 which have a lot of CG in which the 4-6 don't.....just have to add my 2 cents to the mix....

Yeah. I imagine that when he sold up he was like 'oh and here's a treatment for 7,8 & 9' and they were like 'um,OK, thanks George' and as the door closed on him it was screwed up and slam dunked into the nearest trash.

didn't they do that already by saying they'd listen to his ep 7 ideas in a video? or am I and my un informed opinion mis remembering the positivity? ;o)

From going through The Art of The Force Awakens, they actually kept a lot of George's treatment ideas. Sam and Kira got a little older and became Finn and Rey, pre-production messed around with a bunch of different settings, interstitial bits, ship deisgns, etc., but the rough beats George outlined are still in the final film. Just as there are echos of early drafts of "The Star Wars" in the final film that came out in '77. One of my scriptwriting professors paraphrased von Moltke for us: "No treatment survives contact with the actual production process." It's an organic thing.

I know we differ in our opinions of the result as far as TFA goes. I do not just give a pass on every Star Wars offering because Star Wars. I have constructive criticism on all of them, back to the original. But one thing they all have in common is how the end products so little resemble the early treatments, and yet you can still see vestiges remaining in the general and in the specific.

--Jonah

I know we differ in our opinions of the result as far as TFA goes. I do not just give a pass on every Star Wars offering because Star Wars. I have constructive criticism on all of them, back to the original.

--Jonah

That's one reason why i enjoy your reading your posts ;o).

always tend to be constructive and informative!

Did They ever release George's treatment for episode 7-9?

I still havn't gotten through any of the xtras..so not sure if they are on there.

Did They ever release George's treatment for episode 7-9?

Not straight-up as such. I highly recommend reading the Art-Of book. They have a lot more text showing insight into the pre-production decisions than many previous Art-Of books, and is the closest we're going to get to a Making-Of book for a while. They drop many hints and references to things that were part of the original treatments, what changed when, and what bits were done just as creative exercises (there's one with a crashed Star Destroyer on a snow planet at the foot of a mountain with a temple-y thing at the top -- there's a bunch of tiny red lightsabers charging from the wreckage toward a line of tiny blue lightsabers defending the temple... never remotely part of the story, but an evocative image, nonetheless).

--Jonah

Not straight-up as such. I highly recommend reading the Art-Of book. They have a lot more text showing insight into the pre-production decisions than many previous Art-Of books, and is the closest we're going to get to a Making-Of book for a while. They drop many hints and references to things that were part of the original treatments, what changed when, and what bits were done just as creative exercises (there's one with a crashed Star Destroyer on a snow planet at the foot of a mountain with a temple-y thing at the top -- there's a bunch of tiny red lightsabers charging from the wreckage toward a line of tiny blue lightsabers defending the temple... never remotely part of the story, but an evocative image, nonetheless).

--Jonah

Wasn't there also The Star Wars from Dark Horse Comics? That was supposed to adapt the '74 version of Lucas' script.

Wish I knew someone local who could do a physical set of the despecialized edition for me like the one up above. Something more satisfying about playing it off a disc rather than hooking up a laptop to my TV screen and running it that way.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back