Wish I knew someone local who could do a physical set of the despecialized edition for me like the one up above. Something more satisfying about playing it off a disc rather than hooking up a laptop to my TV screen and running it that way.

Just do what I do and keep them on a USB thumb drive. Most TVs and bluray players have USB ports now. You can even make DVD style cases for them if you want. It's physical without the hassle of discs.

Just do what I do and keep them on a USB thumb drive. Most TVs and bluray players have USB ports now. You can even make DVD style cases for them if you want. It's physical without the hassle of discs.

My TV is old and doesn't have USB. But that's getting remedied later this year. Thought my game consoles could live off an HDMI switch, but PS4 and Roku don't place nice with them, and I'm out of ports if I want a Switch.

For Fook's Sake, Lucasfilm! Can't you just release a new set of higher-def SE's with the OOT as bonus discs? Would that really be insulting George Lucas so badly?

I don't think it would be viewed as a big insult if we were talking about any other director who reworked his classic movie decades after the fact.

Wish I knew someone local who could do a physical set of the despecialized edition for me like the one up above. Something more satisfying about playing it off a disc rather than hooking up a laptop to my TV screen and running it that way.

Get in touch with jimjimmyjones in this thread. He makes physical copies.

Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=115665&share_type=t

It's a shame. I stopped buying Star Wars releases after the DVD release. I figured, why pay good money for something that isn't what I want? I haven't purchased TFA or R1, either. It's like giving up drinking or some other bad habit. You wonder why you ever did it to begin with. I don't even miss them. Maybe I've finally grown up a bit. Either way, barring the REAL movies being released, I've purchased my last LFL title.

It's a shame. I stopped buying Star Wars releases after the DVD release. I figured, why pay good money for something that isn't what I want? I haven't purchased TFA or R1, either. It's like giving up drinking or some other bad habit. You wonder why you ever did it to begin with. I don't even miss them. Maybe I've finally grown up a bit. Either way, barring the REAL movies being released, I've purchased my last LFL title.

I still bought TFA, but i skipped R1.

And I havn't bought any of the new cannon books either. ii just feel like they aren't being made for me anymore.

My Star Wars BD collection,.......I'm going to have to live with the crushed blacks for a while

D7DE2D14-3D74-42AA-A7FA-D846E15A33E6.JPG

J

If TFA or RO was some other franchise I would probably have bought them. I see no reason to hold a grudge against them.

I'm not holding a grudge. I just didn't care enough for them to want to own them. I enjoyed R1 despite Jyn being as flat and one dimensional as can be, and some other odd choices. But, the cool parts can be seen on YouTube at will. They were ok, but I'll probably never own them.

I have TFA and will likely buy R1 soon enough. But I'm not buying the rest of the blurays because (1) I don't care to own the PT, (2) they aren't the versions I want to own, and (3) the technical work on the releases is garbage.

LFL's handling of their own property was every bit as amateurish -- from a technical perspective -- as fanedits, and most fanedits are better, in my opinion. The crushed blacks, the godawful color timing, the DVDs flipping rear channels, I mean, come on. This is bush-league stuff. Setting aside the highly questionable story/editing choices that Lucas himself made, the films just technically look bad. Maybe -- MAYBE -- if they ever really fix those aspects, I'll be willing to shell out for the SEs on blu-ray, but otherwise, meh. Screw it. If they won't take 'em seriously, why should I?

I have TFA and will likely buy R1 soon enough. But I'm not buying the rest of the blurays because (1) I don't care to own the PT, (2) they aren't the versions I want to own, and (3) the technical work on the releases is garbage.

LFL's handling of their own property was every bit as amateurish -- from a technical perspective -- as fanedits, and most fanedits are better, in my opinion. The crushed blacks, the godawful color timing, the DVDs flipping rear channels, I mean, come on. This is bush-league stuff. Setting aside the highly questionable story/editing choices that Lucas himself made, the films just technically look bad. Maybe -- MAYBE -- if they ever really fix those aspects, I'll be willing to shell out for the SEs on blu-ray, but otherwise, meh. Screw it. If they won't take 'em seriously, why should I?

This makes me wonder if LFL and Lucas were viewing the restoration work on uncalibrated monitors and not in the restoration studio/workstations. So maybe on their monitors the blacks initially looked bright and not particularly dark and they tell the restoration folks to darken the blacks. Certainly the restorers question what Lucas et al are talking about but, hey, the customer is always right, correct? So they darken the blacks more which results in crushed blacks on a properly calibrated monitor but on the LFL crap monitors they look fine.

This makes me wonder if LFL and Lucas were viewing the restoration work on uncalibrated monitors and not in the restoration studio/workstations. So maybe on their monitors the blacks initially looked bright and not particularly dark and they tell the restoration folks to darken the blacks. Certainly the restorers question what Lucas et al are talking about but, hey, the customer is always right, correct? So they darken the blacks more which results in crushed blacks on a properly calibrated monitor but on the LFL crap monitors they look fine.

I think it was all about hiding matt boxes and things that show up on video,...but not on film....The 97 SE print isn't as bad as the Lowry 'cleaned up' one

J

The matte boxes in the space battles drive me nuts in the video releases of the OT. It's so distracting. If they had been so visible in the original 35mm releases then I think the ILM guys would have done more to prevent them. I don't consider them "authentic" original SFX drawbacks. Video brings them out more than film.

I would put up with Greedo shooting first if it meant the matte lines were fixed. At least the Greedo shot is a 1-second problem early in the movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back