...and on the side: stealing is stealing. You can attempt to justify it all you'd like - but the idea that Lucasfilm owes you something due to your years of purchasing their product does not make you entitled to download something illegally. The idea that these sites and downloads are available are still done by their good graces and it's a wonder they haven't taken action against them - there's something to be thankful for.

Last edited by a moderator:
If only Disney would take what fans have done and just make it official....stupid legalistic issues.

I always crack up when certain people on here get holier than thou about the so called "stealing" that's involved with fan edits. They seem to have more of an issue with these "illegal" versions of the films than Lucasfilm who has known about OT.com for over a decade and have let it go without so much as even one DCMA takedown notice.

I always crack up when certain people on here get holier than thou about the so called "stealing" that's involved with fan edits. They seem to have more of an issue with these "illegal" versions of the films than Lucasfilm who has known about OT.com for over a decade and have let it go without so much as even one DCMA takedown notice.

So-called "stealing." If you have to justify it by referring to it like this... well, it sure appears that the issue is more with you than those that you think are "holier than thou." There are plenty of resources (including common sense) out there that are pretty clear that distributing these 'edits' clearly are illegal.

I'm comfortable with my morality - I'm often as guilty as the next guy. If someone feels a need to justify doing this with explanations that usually sound like "they owe me this," well, that's their issue - not mine. I don't have that sense of entitlement - and well, I just don't understand it. I don't want a participation trophy - but, while I do appreciate a freebie when I'm offered one, I'm not naive enough to think that I am getting something for nothing.

Stealing - whether it's a "fan edit" (which these aren't) - or just pirating entire movies aren't dissimilar and are quite clearly illegal (facts are facts). Whether or not Disney (or whomever) chooses to to pursue it... well, that's their call. As I stated above, these sites are allowed to continue by Disney's good graces and those that chose to participate should count those blessings.

Might as well put this here. Back in the late 90s after the SE came out, my friend had heard that George was going to redo the fight between Vader and Obi Wan having it more fast paced with Obi Wan doing filps and stuff like that. Glad it didn't happen. Has anyone ever heard of this before and know if it was true or not?
I wouldn't put it past George to try something like this. But maybe technical issues or maybe even more raging fans stopped him from doing so.
Also had heard they wanted to make the Ewoks more mean and vicious with new shots.
This would have really messed up the flow of the movies greatly.

So-called "stealing." If you have to justify it by referring to it like this... well, it sure appears that the issue is more with you than those that you think are "holier than thou." There are plenty of resources (including common sense) out there that are pretty clear that distributing these 'edits' clearly are illegal.

I'm comfortable with my morality - I'm often as guilty as the next guy. If someone feels a need to justify doing this with explanations that usually sound like "they owe me this," well, that's their issue - not mine. I don't have that sense of entitlement - and well, I just don't understand it. I don't want a participation trophy - but, while I do appreciate a freebie when I'm offered one, I'm not naive enough to think that I am getting something for nothing.

Stealing - whether it's a "fan edit" (which these aren't) - or just pirating entire movies aren't dissimilar and are quite clearly illegal (facts are facts). Whether or not Disney (or whomever) chooses to to pursue it... well, that's their call. As I stated above, these sites are allowed to continue by Disney's good graces and those that chose to participate should count those blessings.

How exactly is is "stealing" if you own (have purchased) pretty much every official version already released? (Only some older packaging variations I don't own.) You are simply getting something they won't give you. I would buy the the HD version of the unaltered films if it was officially available, it simply is not. And I OWN the newest blu-ray release and many of the older ones.

There's what's legally right, and what's morally right. Any monkey and look at a law and see whether or not you've broken it, but to determine whether that act was performed in good faith takes true wisdom. Are fan edits legally right? Not in the least, but I for one see them as morally right and believe they should have every right to be made.

As I've stated many times before I don't feel guilty AT ALL for watching fanedits since I've purchased the films on every media offered many times over in the past 20+ years and none of those purchases provide the best version possible of the films that screened in '77, '80 and '83. If your own internal moral compass doesn't allow for that and somehow you sleep better at night as a result then goody goody for you, but just know that your continued droning on like a broken record about the issue thinking that it will somehow sway opinions falls on deaf ears as nobody cares about your constant preaching. :rolleyes

As I've stated many times before I don't feel guilty AT ALL for watching fanedits since I've purchased the films on every media offered many times over in the past 20+ years and none of those purchases provide the best version possible of the films that screened in '77, '80 and '83. If your own internal moral compass doesn't allow for that and somehow you sleep better at night as a result then goody goody for you, but just know that your continued droning on like a broken record about the issue thinking that it will somehow sway opinions falls on deaf ears as nobody cares about your constant preaching. :rolleyes

I care. I don't think creating a fan edit of copyrighted material you have purchased is wrong. I think the distribution of that material is wrong. I can assure you that there have been consumers who have downloaded fan edits of these films created by others who have never paid for a copy of the film in question and that is theft.

Look, I don't think anyone is suggesting that making and distributing unauthorized copies of the OOT is stealing or copyright infringement. Everyone knows it is. People either care, or they don't. Wagging a finger and saying "That's stealing!" is pointless, unless you're just trying to signal your own virtue to the rest of the world, or trying to shame other people into changing their ways (and good luck with that...).

Lastly, in the event that Lucasfilm actually released a high quality version of the OOT for mass consumption, sites like OT.com and Harmy's would probably just close up shop.

Likewise neither is the holier-than-thou "It's okay for me to steal this because they owe me this" nonsense. If I'm "preaching" a "sermon" - what are these people doing? Just pushing a belief that's inherently untrue.

It is clearly stealing - no matter how you choose to justify this. I only chose to reply about this once we had someone who had to speak up on their entitlement belief (I don't feel guilty, they owe me this!)... had that not happened, we wouldn't be having this part of the conversation once again.

Lastly, in the event that Lucasfilm actually released a high quality version of the OOT for mass consumption, sites like OT.com and Harmy's would probably just close up shop.

Not likely, at least for originaltrilogy.com. It's the hub of Adywan's revisited edits and various resources.

This being a REPLICA forum, I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are when a direct translation is applied to our hobby.
Is it legal to buy a Kenner blaster and do a lot of work modifying it to make it look more accurate and faithful to the original film?
If so, is it legal to post a tutorial on youtube showing others how to do the same thing?
If so, is it legal to watch said youtube video and follow the instructions so that you can also have an accurate blaster?

"Well that's not the same thing. You'd have to buy your own blaster and modify it yourself."

So then is it legal for me to give you a cast of my modified blaster FOR FREE because you're one of the select few who really care about accuracy instead of the other 95% who are happy to buy one off the shelf? What if my condition for getting a free casting of my modified blaster was that you bought your own off the shelf (on the honor system) so that neither of us are actually taking any money from LFL?

Likewise neither is the holier-than-thou "It's okay for me to steal this because they owe me this" nonsense. If I'm "preaching" a "sermon" - what are these people doing? Just pushing a belief that's inherently untrue.

It is clearly stealing - no matter how you choose to justify this. I only chose to reply about this once we had someone who had to speak up on their entitlement belief (I don't feel guilty, they owe me this!)... had that not happened, we wouldn't be having this part of the conversation once again.

Oh, give me a break. You know damn well that you live for any opportunity you get to preach your same tired old sermon on this issue and act like you're somehow better than everyone else because you know the true definition of "stealing". My "entitlement" is shared by an entire community of fans out there who want to see the films they grew up with in the highest quality possible and don't give a rat's *** how you feel about the issue. Maybe you should just give it a rest and go fight for another cause that might actually make a difference because you're never going to change people's minds on this issue no matter how hard you try.

Last edited:
This being a REPLICA forum, I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are when a direct translation is applied to our hobby.
Is it legal to buy a Kenner blaster and do a lot of work modifying it to make it look more accurate and faithful to the original film?
If so, is it legal to post a tutorial on youtube showing others how to do the same thing?
If so, is it legal to watch said youtube video so that you can also have an accurate blaster?

"Well that's not the same thing. You'd have to buy your own blaster and modify it yourself."

So then is it legal for me to offer castings of my modified blaster FOR FREE to the select few who really care about accuracy instead of the other 95% who are happy to buy one off the shelf? What if my condition for getting a free casting of my modified blaster was that you bought your own off the shelf (on the honor system) so that neither of us are actually taking any money from LFL?

According to a certain individual here, you should probably be in jail for doing any of those things. :lol

What are these people doing? Nothing that concerns you, actually. They aren't taking anything away from you, they aren't denigrating you, and they definitely aren't acting "holier than thou" with respect to you or anyone else. I'm not sure you actually understand what "holier than thou" means. In case you can't tell, it means setting oneself in comparison to someone else, and claiming that you are better than them.

Example: "You all are nasty thieves, and I would never think to do such a horrible horrible thing."

Not an Example: "I think I'm gonna pirate this movie if it's never released commercially."

If you own a replica costume or prop, you're every bit the thief they are, so spare us all the moralizing. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. Get over yourself.

Yes. It is. As I said, I don't think anyone disputes that. You just felt compelled to say something because you always feel compelled to say something when you perceive (accurately or not) anyone to be attacking Star Wars, apparently because you treat it as an attack on you. We know this. You've admitted as much. You still need to get a grip and learn where you end and Star Wars begins. Can we move on now?

Not likely, at least for originaltrilogy.com. It's the hub of Adywan's revisited edits and various resources.

That's a good point, actually. I hadn't considered that some fans are just tinkerers with the film, trying to create their perfect version for all eternity. I think, though, that there'd be a lot less demand for the infringing versions, assuming the legit versions were done well.

If so, is it legal to watch said youtube video and follow the instructions so that you can also have an accurate blaster?

In short, yes to all of that. What isn't legal is when you then sell that blaster on Ebay, or make a ton of them and give them to your buddies. Or, like, if you sell costumes of Han Solo outfits. Or if you make Stormtrooper armor and offer it for sale. Or any number of other things that nobody here bats an eye at.

So then is it legal for me to give you a cast of my modified blaster FOR FREE because you're one of the select few who really care about accuracy instead of the other 95% who are happy to buy one off the shelf? What if my condition for getting a free casting of my modified blaster was that you bought your own off the shelf (on the honor system) so that neither of us are actually taking any money from LFL?

Giving the free mold probably isn't legal, unless it's for parts that aren't already part of the blaster toy.

Our entire hobby is built on copyright infringement. Lol.

Bingo. Let's dispense with claiming any of us are morally superior to each other and get back to talking about whether there's reason to believe this will ever actually be a legitimate release.

I'm much more interested in speculating on whether George put a clause in his sale contract that retains final cut rights on the films he made.

Has anyone ever heard of such a clause in any other deal? Is there a reason why we think Disney would accept this or reject it, one way or the other?

What are these people doing? Nothing that concerns you, actually. They aren't taking anything away from you, they aren't denigrating you, and they definitely aren't acting "holier than thou" with respect to you or anyone else. I'm not sure you actually understand what "holier than thou" means. In case you can't tell, it means setting oneself in comparison to someone else, and claiming that you are better than them.

Example: "You all are nasty thieves, and I would never think to do such a horrible horrible thing."

Not an Example: "I think I'm gonna pirate this movie if it's never released commercially."

If you own a replica costume or prop, you're every bit the thief they are, so spare us all the moralizing. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. Get over yourself
Likewise, Solo4114 - you feel a need to put your two cents just like everyone else. I could say practice what you preach - but, this is a forum where we discuss. My comments didn't take anything away from people that choose to do what they do. My original comment in this current debate was a little comment that has been blown out of proportion... one could reckon by those that feel a need to justify what they're doing or feel a sense of entitlement about it. Again, had someone not boasted about feeling entitled to a downloading an illegal copy - we wouldn't be having this conversation... we could just be talking about a hopeful OT release.

It's unfortunate some of us take this a personally as they do and these discussions get unnecessarily heated.

The debates on the legalities of this forum and its wares have gone on for a long time. A new debate isn't going to change anything about it - the consequences of offering recasts or stepping on a licensee's toes is known.

Holier than thou: characterized by an attitude of moral superiority. I've never claimed to be morally superior, I can be just as guilty as the next person - but, I don't try to justify when I do something wrong by making outrageous claims - I accept responsibility. Does ranting and raving about feeling no guilt about bootlegging a product count as holier than thou? I guess that's debatable.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back