You don't have to redo FX from scratch for a resolution fix - you just have to pull up the old files and render them at a higher resolution. Those should filter right into the compositing setup they had to re-render the whole thing back together.

You don't have to redo FX from scratch for a resolution fix - you just have to pull up the old files and render them at a higher resolution. Those should filter right into the compositing setup they had to re-render the whole thing back together.

Possibly,...if they have those old workfiles....& to re-render most elements that are questionable to start off with....the Mos Eisley crane shot with mirrored stormtroopers....Luke's landspeeder with the bottom third removed,....will they leave these shortcuts & time restrained decisions or fix them with a new render.....then the SE won't be the SE as it currently stands??

..but it still sounds a bit iffy

J

I thought we were talking about unaltered original Star Wars.
What do the special ed changes have to do with anything?

I thought we were talking about unaltered original Star Wars.
What do the special ed changes have to do with anything?

Bryan posted a link from Digitalbits which play down the rumours of the OUT release, claiming that the 4k scan (probably the one Gareth Edwards saw) is not the OUT but the most recent SE

....this confuses me,...a 2k production and all that

J

There's going to be a pretty broad range of discussion of what people classify as the uncut trilogy.

The ORIGINAL wasn't in THX, it was Stereo. I wouldn't want it as it was in 1977. I think the sound enhanced THX editions would be best. But then see, is that the uncut/unaltered? Technically no, because it's not the 1977 release.

Then you got the opening crawl... Will it still be with the ANH title, or just called Star Wars?

There's just a myriad of things that will cause backlash no matter what.

I would be happy with an uncut trilogy that had some basic fixes on the VFX. NOT a redo, but things like removing the matteboxes from the miniatures during space battles, fixed compositing elements like is the ESB Hoth battle, and then of course the sound mastering to the THX they did.

Those are my wishlist items, but they aren't technically unaltered at this point. So I am very curious to know just how they plan to handle these questions of original trilogy and the terminology in the use of the words "unaltered/uncut." Any color correction or physical aspect of the restoration of these prints are an alteration of some kind.

For me personally, anything before 1997 is original enough, even with the small changes. After that its all fallen apart. I don't mind some SE things, like the CG ships in the last battle of ANH, but by todays standereds, its looking a bit dated. One of the biggest things I want back is Lapti Nek in ROTJ. I don't care if they were to even redo Sy Snootles in nice CG, just keep the original shots with the song. But for that, might as well keep the puppet.

To me unaltered means just that, unaltered. As if someone got in a time machine, went back to a theater in 1977 and stole the reels while nobody was looking. However, I will accept repairs if needed. Fixing up scratches and what not. Basically a restoration, not an enhancement. I don't need Casablanca to be colorized followed by a sequel that has swarms of German fighter planes flying so close together that one error is going to cause 100 of them to crash into each other.

I would be happy with an uncut trilogy that had some basic fixes on the VFX. NOT a redo, but things like removing the matteboxes from the miniatures during space battles, fixed compositing elements like is the ESB Hoth battle, and then of course the sound mastering to the THX they did.

I don't know how people can get so anal about the exact shade of blue on Luke's lightsaber, and then brush off the garbage mattes issue with "yeah I guess that could use fixing too."

The garbage mattes look WORSE on video releases than they did in theater prints. It's a product of the high contrast levels that video can show.

Last edited:
Seems like every year there's a rumor that the GOUT is coming out on Blu-ray and every year that rumor is debunked. I'll continue enjoying Harmy's versions because I truly believe that's the closest we're ever going to get to the real deal. Oh, and for anyone who wants to raise the legality issue of Harmy's releases, please don't bother as we've been down that road a million times before. I've bought Star Wars multiple times on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray so I have ZERO guilt about watching Harmy's versions and I personally couldn't care less if someone else has a problem with them.

Seems like every year there's a rumor that the GOUT is coming out on Blu-ray and every year that rumor is debunked. I'll continue enjoying Harmy's versions because I truly believe that's the closest we're ever going to get to the real deal. Oh, and for anyone who wants to raise the legality issue of Harmy's releases, please don't bother as we've been down that road a million times before. I've bought Star Wars multiple times on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray so I have ZERO guilt about watching Harmy's versions and I personally couldn't care less if someone else has a problem with them.

The GOUT refers to the Laserdisc tranfer that George gave us on the 2006 DVD release,....a slap in the face....."you want the Original Unaltered Trilogy?, well heres a low quality standard definition non anamorphic version"

We want something higher quality than the GOUT (George's offering of the Original Unaltered Trilogy)

J

The GOUT refers to the Laserdisc tranfer that George gave us on the 2006 DVD release,....a slap in the face....."you want the Original Unaltered Trilogy?, well heres a low quality standard definition non anamorphic version"

We want something higher quality than the GOUT (George's offering of the Original Unaltered Trilogy)

J

I didn't mean that I wanted the LD transfer released as is to Blu-ray...I just refer to the original versions as the GOUT out of habit.

I don't know if this has be discussed (to lazy to review 17 pages) but is it not likely that GL included a clause in the sale of Lucasfilm that his latest alterations shall be the only available version? A clause which may or may not extend beyond his passing.

Well, the simple truth is we don't know.

Did George Lucas ask for "final cut" approval of any modifications to the OT/PT?
Did GL say no to any modifications of the OT/PT?
Did Disney allow him approval if he even requested it?
Did Disney just throw that in with it being requested?

Is GL adverse to a (mostly) unmodified Star Wars (ANH) being released?
Is GL possible final cut/no changes deal mean he won't approve anything being released?

Does Disney even want to release another version of pre-Disney Star Wars to the home video market?
Is there enough demand to warrant the work and money that would need to be sunk into this? (Barring the idea that the rumored 4K version is a ready distribution version).

...and on the side: stealing is stealing. You can attempt to justify it all you'd like - but the idea that Lucasfilm owes you something due to your years of purchasing their product does not make you entitled to download something illegally. The idea that these sites and downloads are available are still done by their good graces and it's a wonder they haven't taken action against them - there's something to be thankful for.

Personally I am not going to hold my breath for Disney to ever put it back to it's original condition. As with all companies they are a business and something like restoring the movie is probably not in their interest financially to satisfy the purests. Even if they did, they won't spend the time to get it right, just look how bad the SE's are with the colors, the horribly mixed audio, etc.

It's now really up to the dedicated and talented fans, who spend the time along with their love and passion to put this movie back together as accurately as possible. The versions we have now are incredible, thanks to Harmy's, the Silver Screen edition and everyone else working together, sharing resources to save this movie from what was done to it. Can't wait to see the work they are doing for the 4K:D

The idea that fans are whomever is putting this together as "accurately as possible" just isn't true. They're still doing an optimized version of the original movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back