Mold making (Liquid latex and foam core)

Buch

Sr Member
Hi guys

I wanna make some resin replicas of some custom prop parts that I build in foam core...

Can I pour liquid latex directly on the foam core parts and make a mold that way? Or will the liquid latex stick to the foam core?

Use silicone, not latex to make a mold. Silicone only sticks to itself, not sure about latex. There are different types of silicone and you need to do some research on them to save yourself grief later on.

How complex are the parts you want to make a mold of? You may also need to read up how to make a two part mold.

The parts are pretty simpel... Like a 5 by 3 inch picture frame. Will look for some silicone instead...

I think I could do the parts by simply placing them on the bottom of a shallow container and then pouring silicone over... That will make the negative.

Had some liquid latex in stock, used it to make different molds on different materials... Perhaps I should just do a test on the foam core....

the liquid latex will soak into the foam and become part of it.

you need to use silicone and possible some kind of release.

If you are going to pour the silicone over the frame you will need to seal the edges of the frame to prevent the silicone going underneath the frame and completely encasing it.

This may seem obvious; but before you pour the silicone over your part, make sure it is glued down or else it may float to the surface. It is less dense than the silicone.

This may seem obvious; but before you pour the silicone over your part, make sure it is glued down or else it may float to the surface. It is less dense than the silicone.

Still pretty new to this business... So thanks for mentioning :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back