Mr Mold Makers' 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

Re: Slipknot's 2015 Mar-May Sculpture Contest Entry

Day 4! Again! Sorry guys, this was just a quick 30 min session but I really felt the need to post it.

What is great about posting the day by days is you see what's going well, and what's going not so well. Chances like that let us see all of the problems that can come up.. big and small....... This particular one was pretty darn big! His head shape was wrong this whole time!! :lol

I genuinely can't believe I went this long without noticing the huge issue staring me in the face. I blocked out a much better headshape and he's looking better already IMO. I'm going to go facepalm myself to sleep now. Thanks for checking out my work so far, and thanks again RPF for putting up with a certifiable idiot in this wonderful contest! :lol

I also changed the font size back to the normal font. I thought it would make it easier to find each update post but it was really distracting, so I apologize!

Last edited:

Not intentional, but I love how the clay on the left (right) of his neck just happens to look like subtle veins. I'm guessing that's not part of the look you'll be going for, but it could be an interesting twist from the traditional style of him. :) Looking great! Are you having him give a sideways glace, or is that just how the eyes happen to be positioned? I like it!

Not intentional, but I love how the clay on the left (right) of his neck just happens to look like subtle veins. I'm guessing that's not part of the look you'll be going for, but it could be an interesting twist from the traditional style of him. :) Looking great! Are you having him give a sideways glace, or is that just how the eyes happen to be positioned? I like it!

You're right, they do look pretty cool! Sadly it looks like I obliterated them sometime after taking the pics because they are gone!

He was going to have a slight look to the side, but these eye forms are way too small for what I really want. Max had his eyes very wide open in the film (he actually never blinks in the film!) And I just can't get it with these eyes.

I've ordered new ones, so there won't be any updates until I get them set in. I need a little break anyways!

I changed the nose to be a little more... Noseferatu, :lol and also thinned out the jaw and nasolabial folds a little.

Thanks again bud! I'm really glad people are digging it.

Just a little update!

The sculpture was getting very off track, so I beat it back into the block of clay from whence it came and have restarted from square one because I can do better.

I've re-blocked out attempt number 2, and we'll see how it goes. I put about 30 minutes into it and it already looks better than where I left attempt number 1 I think! :lol

I'm still waiting on those bigger eyeforms, so I won't have any photo updates for a bit. I'll still take day by day photos but I will post them in an album and link them here when the sculpt is finished. The day by day felt more like a chore than it did fun.

nothing wrong with starting over. Obey your instincts- an artist's instincts are his boss! I can't wait to see nosfurato 2.0... And keep your cool. We still have a month and a half :) you are doing great

Thanks Cadeus, I appreciate the words of encouragement. :)

Nosferatwo, as my friend so kindly christened him, is coming along.

I definitely believe in following your instincts... whether that's for better or worse, I guess we'll find out soon!

It's been about a week, so I thought I'd update. I got the new eyeforms in, and they were two different sizes!! Now I've got to wait again to get the other eye in, but I thought I'd pop the good one in just to check. I think it's a pretty good fit! Went with the 28.5 MM eyes.

Sorry for the editing on the pic! This one is just for us, not going towards the contest. Figured someone else might get a kick out of it, and it's better than the empty socket! Also shadowed a bit to really see how it's coming along. I see a lot of people over sculpt their portraits and I'm really trying not to do that. You can't sculpt the paintjob, ou know what I mean? :lol

Last edited:

LOL!

The form is looking good. Sucks about the eyes though! Looking forward to seeing the real things.

Thanks guys!

Well you may be waiting just a little bit longer than expected... Nosferatwo was again, not heading where I wanted it to go. I can do better.

I know what you're thinking.. "this guy is @#$%ing crazy!".. I totally understand, but all I can do now is hope Nosferathree (I'll work on the name later!) Will come out a little better. :lol

Alright guys, so as it stands currently my work on Nosfouratu (don't even ask about the train wreck that was Nosferathree! :lol ) was going nowhere at the speed of light. I do however take solace in the fact that if this contest was judged solely on name based puns, I am definitely the main contender. :lol

I've decided that it's just not gonna happen. Yet. But I will definitely tackle him in the future, once I've honed my skills as a sculptor a little better.

I've started a new piece and I'm much more excited about where this one is headed. Can anyone tell who it is? :lol

I'll upload some unedited pics once I get to my computer, but the instagram pic will just have to do for now! :)

Last edited:

Unedited pics as promised. Lot's more work to do on this guy, but I'm happy where it is. Let's see how many day it takes for me to mess it up!

Last edited:

Aw man, I was looking forward to Nosferathree. I'd have thought the man in the beaver hat would be the trickier choice, but you seem to be off to a good start!

Trust me, you didn't want to see Nosferathree! :lol

Thanks Jasper, it means a lot! Especially from you!

I have no clue how you do such beautiful portraits. It's VERY difficult!

Made a little bit of progress. Still going strong on him, and hope to have it finished up in the next few days. The less time I give myself to mess it up, the better!

A happy belated birthday to the man in the beaver hat himself, Lon Chaney SR. !!!

Last edited:

Sorry! One more update from me. That photo was from a few days ago, so I grabbed a few shots that show it as it stands today.

Basically, I'm just procrastinating so I don't have to tackle those eyes and ears, but I've run out of excuses I think! I'm going to unwrap him early tomorrow and hopefully he'll dry up enough to take some nice crisp details!

Last edited:

Sad as I am to see NosferatX go away, this is looking great. Cool new idea!

So after a few weeks of basically sitting around stumped on this guy... here are my "finished" pics! Sadly it didn't go where I'd have liked, I wish I had spent more time on the likeness and forms, and especially the texture. It has a few lines quickly cut in, but I didn't have the time to really sit down and texture the piece. I have some cool projects coming up very quickly so I just won't have the time to get back to the sculpt.... Overall though, I'm pretty happy with it.

It ended up being slightly bigger than lifesize, and about 100 pounds of WED clay. If I ever tackle another portrait I think I'll have to use oil based clay. I'm not hugely experienced with WED clay (other than for molding) so it was a totally new, fun, learning experience. I hope the photos represent the sculpture well, the great things, and the not so great things! I also hope you've learned something, from my successes (probably not!) or my failures!

Thanks for your time, and good luck to each and every other contestants. I can't wait to see your beautiful finished sculpts!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back