5 Foot Millennium Falcon markings survey

rbeach84

Sr Member
All, just in case anyone missed the thread over in General Modeling, there is a thread working to document all the markings applied to the 5-foot MF and provide artifacts useful to anyone making a replica of that filming model. The thread name is somewhat confusing as it was started with a request to help validate retiredadguy's decal artwork project - hence my sticking this here. ;^)

Please feel free to check it out, and contribute if you can; the artifacts are currently published through my model club's website at Hampton Roads Scale Modelers

Link is:
http://www.therpf.com/f11/bata-hlmf-hrmf-decals-90-done-95-hasbro-parts-hrmf-build-233543/

Regards, Robert

Updated all files 2015 Sep 10 ; discard earlier versions of the files for the latest!

Last edited:
I absolutely love these decals, I have since I saw the thing in 2010. Your files look very good, thank you very much for sharing this.

Glad to do so, "Spence"; it has been a team effort by JPCOdessa, Junk Pilot, Imurme, Retiredadguy & myself (so far) and has been proceeding well. I was surprised that this hasn't been done previously, or at least I've not found it. I'm still hoping one of the ol' ILM modeling "guys" shows up with a bunch of closeup, period images, but that is a thin prayer...

Cheers! Robert

We need assistance! If anyone has a copy of the old Revell 1:32 F-4E or F-4F kits, H-182 & H-178 respectively, might we get a scan of the kit decal sheets posted? Both if possible would be great since the instrument panel decals used might come from either, but the 'correct' source might also solve other 'mystery meats' in the survey! Cheers!

Regards, Robert

Bumpety-bump! Still working on the ID's and some retro-data related to the missing-in-action decal applications. Anyone have further access to images of the MF prior to it's 'Road Show'? Please pitch in to the effort (and don't forget to get your copy of the Tracker & images archive!) Cheers! Robert

Bump! Still need help resolving decal sources, getting better images of some & more images of the MF showing some of the older, now missing or fragmented decals. Such may not exist, but never know! Cheers - Robert

I really don't think that the ids of the decals matter because no one will really be interested in getting a vintage kit for the decals. Why not just make up a great couple of pages of Falcon decals? I'd certainly be a customer and I'm sure others will also.

Last edited:
I really don't think that the ids of the decals matter because no one will really be interested in getting a vintage kit for the decals. Why not just make up a great couple of pages of Falcon decals? I'd certainly be a customer and I'm sure others will also.
I'm with you there I would pay for a set in two scales

Guys, the whole "ID" thing is because we're trying to reconstruct or otherwise compile accurate depictions of all the decals. Having a confirmed source provides for the possibility of obtaining a hi-rez scan on which to base the 'replicant' decal artwork, making for more accurate renderings. We've had a few breakthroughs following this research 'paradigm' so I expect we've attained a higher degree of fidelity than any previously (?). To be clear, there are only a relatively few real unknowns (including the missing red-white, & yellow block, decals on the starboard mandible tip, the small white & blue fragment on the sidewall section between the starboard dock ring & cockpit tunnel, a tattered red "block" design on the starboard outboard engine deck, the compiled 'stripe' at the base of the dish mount and a text block on the aft underside of the engine deck/landing gear 'boxes' - just to list what is on the top of my head... oh, yeah and the missing decal on the inboard top end of the starboard docking tunnel...previously suspected to be another Champion logo) But, for things "we have a *pretty good* idea of the design but they are still a bit fuzzy", the winged 'arrow' (or possibly a sword) on the underside nose of the cargo jawbox is a big one for me. If I could just get a good, clear picture of it (because it *was* on the 5-footer while on tour), then at least we can make any derived artwork accurate.

So, accuracy is the real goal with the 'source' ID's being secondary & actually just to support the accuracy of the artwork. The decals will then come from that... and there are at least two guys working up artwork right now to turn into decals, so *they* will eventually be a reality. If you can't wait and want something for your Hasbro MF, JT Graphics is the place to go for a copy of moffeaton / Ken Rice's decals, which are pretty comprehensive - assuming he has any left!

It is gratifying to know there is interest in having a decal set though whether you can get any significant interest in a full set of 'studio scale' 5-footer decals is a mystery. What scales are we thinking (meaning, 5-footer, 32 incher, MPC, Hasbro, etc.)

Regards, Robert

Guys, the whole "ID" thing is because we're trying to reconstruct or otherwise compile accurate depictions of all the decals. Having a confirmed source provides for the possibility of obtaining a hi-rez scan on which to base the 'replicant' decal artwork, making for more accurate renderings. We've had a few breakthroughs following this research 'paradigm' so I expect we've attained a higher degree of fidelity than any previously (?). To be clear, there are only a relatively few real unknowns (including the missing red-white, & yellow block, decals on the starboard mandible tip, the small white & blue fragment on the sidewall section between the starboard dock ring & cockpit tunnel, a tattered red "block" design on the starboard outboard engine deck, the compiled 'stripe' at the base of the dish mount and a text block on the aft underside of the engine deck/landing gear 'boxes' - just to list what is on the top of my head... oh, yeah and the missing decal on the inboard top end of the starboard docking tunnel...previously suspected to be another Champion logo) But, for things "we have a *pretty good* idea of the design but they are still a bit fuzzy", the winged 'arrow' (or possibly a sword) on the underside nose of the cargo jawbox is a big one for me. If I could just get a good, clear picture of it (because it *was* on the 5-footer while on tour), then at least we can make any derived artwork accurate.

So, accuracy is the real goal with the 'source' ID's being secondary & actually just to support the accuracy of the artwork. The decals will then come from that... and there are at least two guys working up artwork right now to turn into decals, so *they* will eventually be a reality. If you can't wait and want something for your Hasbro MF, JT Graphics is the place to go for a copy of moffeaton / Ken Rice's decals, which are pretty comprehensive - assuming he has any left!

It is gratifying to know there is interest in having a decal set though whether you can get any significant interest in a full set of 'studio scale' 5-footer decals is a mystery. What scales are we thinking (meaning, 5-footer, 32 incher, MPC, Hasbro, etc.)

Regards, Robert
thanks for the clarification, would you believe I would like a 5 foot set (one of :) ) definitely 2/3 hasbro hero scale.
The more time I spend on this forum I believe I will build a five footer some day , there are plenty of examples of other ways to build it ( example is the paper version) I have 2 hasbro to be built (again in a few years we will see a lot of these at boot sales so I expect to do more)

Last edited:

Regards, Robert

Hey all, I would like to second the request for more reference for the decals mentioned above by Robert...as some of you may know, I am one of the 'guys' that has been working on a studio quality set of falcon decals...but what is holding me up is that we still have a few decals that are unknowns and a few others that we have little or no reference images to work from...so if ANYONE has better scans, photos, kit ID's, etc. on any of these please let me know, thanks...

still need better images of this decal (#113 on tracker)
Bottom-Front--6_crop.jpg

still need high-res scans of these decal sheets, specifically need the cockpit and side panels from sheets (#108, #110, and #111 on tracker)
UNKNOWN_DECALS.jpgUNKNOWN_DECALS_crop.jpgRevell H289 F-4E.JPG
Revell #H289 - 1/48 McDonnell-Douglas F-4E or F-4F Phantom II - USAF or JG74 Luftwaffe

Revell F4E H182 1_32_zoom.jpg 147025-12192-19.jpg147761-11669.jpg1-32-revell-luftwaffe-f-4f-phantom-early-issue-harder-to-find-18136-p.jpg
Revell #H-182 - 1/32 F-4E Phantom II, 1976 Issue or Revell #H-178 - 1/32 Luttwaffe F-4F Phantom, 1975 Issue

any help with these is appreciated
(#25, #88, and #141 on tracker)
7e-1.jpgno_88_matches.jpgno_141.jpg

imurme

Hey all, I would like to second the request for more reference for the decals mentioned above by Robert...as some of you may know, I am one of the 'guys' that has been working on a studio quality set of falcon decals...but what is holding me up is that we still have a few decals that are unknowns and a few others that we have little or no reference images to work from...so if ANYONE has better scans, photos, kit ID's, etc. on any of these please let me know, thanks...

still need better images of this decal (#113 on tracker)
<<image snipped>>
still need high-res scans of these decal sheets, specifically need the cockpit and side panels from sheets (#108, #110, and #111 on tracker)
View attachment 461470View attachment 461471View attachment 461472
Revell #H289 - 1/48 McDonnell-Douglas F-4E or F-4F Phantom II - USAF or JG74 Luftwaffe
[Remember - the cockpit panel decals on the 1:48 scale sheet do not show any details because they are reverse printed (the black is over the white) and designed to work with the clear instrument panel parts provided in the kit. The idea is that the white portions will be visible *through* the clear panel when the decal is applied to the backside of the part. But at least the decal shapes should be the same, if mirrored, to the ones used in the 1:32 scale kits given the kits are of similar vintage and Revell most likely used the same research resources for both scale kits. Nicely, however, this resolves the problem of the kits sourced on the MF, since the panels on the MF show all the instrument details per the 1:32 scale kit.]

Revell #H-182 - 1/32 F-4E Phantom II, 1976 Issue or Revell #H-178 - 1/32 Luttwaffe F-4F Phantom, 1975 Issue

any help with these is appreciated
(#25, #88, and #141 on tracker)
View attachment 461477

[I must wonder if the yellow 'stain' in the middle is old oxidized decal adhesive from a missing decal or just a bit of yellow 'weathering'. Since the blocks appear on the cardinals of the base, it is obviously intentional, though this one above was obviously underneath the missing 'stripe' given the discoloration that marks the spot.]
imurme

Regards, Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back