1/350 Polar Lights Refit Enterprise internal structure

Malito

Hi Folks

I am a brazilian modeler and I would like to start building the 1/350 Polar Lights Refi Enterprise.I was wondering that the weight of the kit out of the box is quite significant, even before lighting and paint, and I was conscious that some sort of strengthening would be needed in order for my aims regarding the finished model to be achievable. In particular the dorsal interconnect didn’t seem to be anywhere near strong enough to take the weight and torsional force of the primary hull without the additional support. Do you think it is necessary to reinforce the injection moulded parts? Any ideas?
Many Thanks

Mauro

There's a metal armature available for this kit, but I'm certain that there are many builds out there (including ones with lights) that didn't use anything to beef up that connection (or the warp pylon/strongback connections either). That said, if it worries you, there's no reason why you shoudn't build in some additional support or bracing...

Mark in Okinawa

CultTVMan sells the metal structure (out of stock at the moment)
You can use it as reference and make your own.

I've also seen people use acrylic or wood for internal support.

There is a frame structure you can buy it cost a little over $100.00 bucks. Was told that the newer refit is very strong built and doesn't need it. But the older models do need it because of sagging.

I've never seen a refit old or new sag because of a lack of a internal structure to support the weight of the model. I've heard complaints about it, but that could be that it was put together poorly. I've never seen any pictures of a sagging 1/350 Refit.

I'm putting together one now and I don't think any additional support is needed. The key to preventing issues is make sure your joints are free of paint and any other contaminants when gluing together. This ensures a solid bond of the plastic. Mine feels very solid doing this while using just the basic Testors glue in the red tube. Clamping the parts together and letting sit overnight helps too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back